One-day registration fee for AAA meetings

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2012
      The AAA Section Presidents' list serv has been buzzing lately with the idea of a one-day registration to the AAA annual meeting. Since this would increase access for all potential participants, I have voiced SACC's support for the proposal.

      Best,
      Laura

      I've been approached by several CSAS and ASA members about policies
      > governing the meeting registration fee. Specifically, I was asked if there
      > is any possibility of instituting a one-day registration for our annual
      > meeting. It would be for people, mainly non-anthropologists, who want to
      > participate in an AAA session but will come only for that session. In one
      > specific case, a colleague has invited three biologists from UC, Berkeley,
      > whom she says "are eager to participate in the proposed session on
      > Integrative Biology and Anthropology" but are balking at the registration
      > cost of $218 each-even with a waiver of non-member fees. I know that we
      > have been discussing ways to make our meetings more accessible to
      > non-anthropologists, and I believe the idea of a one-day registration was
      > on the table at some point. Does anyone know what became of the idea?
      > Would it be worth reconsidering?

      Thanks,