Re: [SACC-L] Good News/Bad News

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2012
      Dianne,

      My congratulations too! I'll miss visiting with you in SD, but we can make that up another time.

      Mary Kay, I laughed out loud at your observation that so much of our "stuff" is made in China, but it's true!

      In Des Moines, we have a store called "Best or Iowa" that sells products from craftspeople and manufacturers from around the state. I'm sure there's such a place in SC also. Reminds me of once, many years ago at a Blackfoot ceremonial in MT, when I asked one of the dancers how the tomahawks they were using were made. He smiled, showing me the label of origin, and said, "Oh, we get them from Hong Kong."

      Lloyd

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2012
        Jon Stewart had a segment on factory worker conditions in China. I felt
        justified with my own personal no "made in China" rule.

        My congratulations too! I'll miss visiting with you in SD, but we can make
        that up another time.

        Mary Kay, I laughed out loud at your observation that so much of our "stuff"
        is made in China, but it's true!

        In Des Moines, we have a store called "Best or Iowa" that sells products
        from craftspeople and manufacturers from around the state. I'm sure there's
        such a place in SC also. Reminds me of once, many years ago at a Blackfoot
        ceremonial in MT, when I asked one of the dancers how the tomahawks they
        were using were made. He smiled, showing me the label of origin, and said,
        "Oh, we get them from Hong Kong."

        Lloyd

        On Jan 25, 2012, at 1:02 PM, Gilliland, Mary wrote:

        > Dianne:
        >
        > Congratulations. Awesome opportunity!
        >
        > I spent some chunks of time in China years ago, but my colleagues tell me
        that the tradition of bringing small gifts to anyone who hosts you (heads of
        institutions, people who might have you for lunch or dinner) is still alive
        and well. These need not be expensive, and people seem to like things that
        are "typical" or have names of places on them. Pens and cloth bags that can
        be used at markets are sort of good things. It's hard to find things here
        that aren't made in China though - the real challenge!

        > Best, Mary Kay

        are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
        destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
        knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
        malware.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2012
          Fantastic! Congratulations on being selected.

          Deborah