RE: [SACC-L] Good News/Bad News

  • Gilliland, Mary
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2012
      Dianne:

      Congratulations. Awesome opportunity!

      I spent some chunks of time in China years ago, but my colleagues tell me that the tradition of bringing small gifts to anyone who hosts you (heads of institutions, people who might have you for lunch or dinner) is still alive and well. These need not be expensive, and people seem to like things that are "typical" or have names of places on them. Pens and cloth bags that can be used at markets are sort of good things. It's hard to find things here that aren't made in China though - the real challenge!

      Best, Mary Kay

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2012
        Dianne,

        My congratulations too! I'll miss visiting with you in SD, but we can make that up another time.

        Mary Kay, I laughed out loud at your observation that so much of our "stuff" is made in China, but it's true!

        In Des Moines, we have a store called "Best or Iowa" that sells products from craftspeople and manufacturers from around the state. I'm sure there's such a place in SC also. Reminds me of once, many years ago at a Blackfoot ceremonial in MT, when I asked one of the dancers how the tomahawks they were using were made. He smiled, showing me the label of origin, and said, "Oh, we get them from Hong Kong."

        Lloyd

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2012
          Jon Stewart had a segment on factory worker conditions in China. I felt
          justified with my own personal no "made in China" rule.

          My congratulations too! I'll miss visiting with you in SD, but we can make
          that up another time.

          Mary Kay, I laughed out loud at your observation that so much of our "stuff"
          is made in China, but it's true!

          In Des Moines, we have a store called "Best or Iowa" that sells products
          from craftspeople and manufacturers from around the state. I'm sure there's
          such a place in SC also. Reminds me of once, many years ago at a Blackfoot
          ceremonial in MT, when I asked one of the dancers how the tomahawks they
          were using were made. He smiled, showing me the label of origin, and said,
          "Oh, we get them from Hong Kong."

          Lloyd

          On Jan 25, 2012, at 1:02 PM, Gilliland, Mary wrote:

          > Dianne:
          >
          > Congratulations. Awesome opportunity!
          >
          > I spent some chunks of time in China years ago, but my colleagues tell me
          that the tradition of bringing small gifts to anyone who hosts you (heads of
          institutions, people who might have you for lunch or dinner) is still alive
          and well. These need not be expensive, and people seem to like things that
          are "typical" or have names of places on them. Pens and cloth bags that can
          be used at markets are sort of good things. It's hard to find things here
          that aren't made in China though - the real challenge!

          > Best, Mary Kay

          are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
          destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
          knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
          malware.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 25, 2012
            Fantastic! Congratulations on being selected.

            Deborah