Good News/Bad News

  • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2012
      Bad News: I won't be attending SACCfest in San Diego this year. (You
      can decide whether that's good or bad news.)

      Good News: My school has a grant that is an exchange (of sorts) of
      faculty to Guiyang, Guizhou, China. I have been selected to participate
      in this program and will be in Guizhou Provence for about 10 days in
      April.

      Have any of you been to this area? If so, any advice?

      I'll miss seeing y'all.

      Thanks!

      Dianne

      Dianne Lynn Chidester, Assistant Professor

      Anthropology & Sociology

      Greenville Technical College

      P.O. Box 5616 MS 1042

      Greenville, SC 29607

      864-250-8729

      "You've got to be taught to hate and fear

      You've got to be taught from year to year

      It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear

      You've got to be carefully taught"

      --Rodgers & Hammerstein South Pacific

      ----------

    • Kathleen Terry-Sharp
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2012
        Congrats, Dianne. That sounds like a wonderful opportunity!

        Kathleen Terry-Sharp
        Director, Academic Relations and
        Practicing and Applied Programs
        American Anthropological Association
        2200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 600
        Arlington, VA 22201
        Tel: (888) 393-1141, Fax: (703) 528-3546
        web: www.aaanet.org

        On Jan 25, 2012, at 12:52 PM, "dianne.chidester@..." <
        dianne.chidester@...> wrote:

[...]

        are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email
        and destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability
        and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses
        and malware.

      • Gilliland, Mary
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2012
          Dianne:

          Congratulations. Awesome opportunity!

          I spent some chunks of time in China years ago, but my colleagues tell me that the tradition of bringing small gifts to anyone who hosts you (heads of institutions, people who might have you for lunch or dinner) is still alive and well. These need not be expensive, and people seem to like things that are "typical" or have names of places on them. Pens and cloth bags that can be used at markets are sort of good things. It's hard to find things here that aren't made in China though - the real challenge!

          Best, Mary Kay

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 25, 2012
            Dianne,

            My congratulations too! I'll miss visiting with you in SD, but we can make that up another time.

            Mary Kay, I laughed out loud at your observation that so much of our "stuff" is made in China, but it's true!

            In Des Moines, we have a store called "Best or Iowa" that sells products from craftspeople and manufacturers from around the state. I'm sure there's such a place in SC also. Reminds me of once, many years ago at a Blackfoot ceremonial in MT, when I asked one of the dancers how the tomahawks they were using were made. He smiled, showing me the label of origin, and said, "Oh, we get them from Hong Kong."

            Lloyd

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 25, 2012
              Jon Stewart had a segment on factory worker conditions in China. I felt
              justified with my own personal no "made in China" rule.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 25, 2012
                Fantastic! Congratulations on being selected.

                Deborah