Re: [SACC-L] Maya Calendar

  • Ann Bragdon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2012
      http://blog.nmai.si.edu/main/2012/01/this-day-in-the-maya-calendar.html

      On Jan 13, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Bob Muckle wrote:

      > The National Museum of the American Indian has been posting a daily
      > "This Day in the Mayan Calendar" thing.
      > Each day they link the current day in the Gregorian calendar with
      > the date in the Mayan calendar (eg. January 13th in the Gregorian
      > calendar =....in the Mayan calendar). I get it from the NMAI
      > Facebook but I'm pretty sure you could also just go to the NMAI home
      > page and search for Mayan calendar. There is a paragraph on each
      > day, as they occur.
      >
      > Bob

      > Hello,
      >
      > Interest in the Maya Calendar seems to be quite high among students
      > right
      > now. I guess it is understandable considering the impending end of
      > time. I
      > am wondering if anyone has an exercise for classes about how to
      > decode and
      > interpret the calendar? I remember seeing a kind of hands-on
      > "practice" type
      > exercise somewhere (perhaps one of those archaeology lab books), but
      > I have
      > turned my office upside down and I cannot find it. In general I am
      > curious
      > to know what, if anything, you might be doing about the topic of the
      > calendar in classes?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Nina

    • Greg Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 13, 2012
        Here is a link to some great Maya calendar information written by Mayanist Mark Van Stone. There is a really nice PowerPoint presentation saved as a pdf file that you might find useful. I used to talk about this stuff only in my New World Civilizations class but now just about every course I teach gets a little "Maya Doomsday?" unit.

        http://www.famsi.org/research/vanstone/2012/index.html

        J. Gregory Smith, Ph.D.
        Assistant Professor of Anthropology
        Northwest College
        231 West Sixth Street
        Powell, Wyoming 82435
        office phone: 307/754-6131
        www.northwestcollege.edu/anthropology<www.northwestcollege.edu/area/anthropology>

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 13, 2012
          there is a nice piece in "THe Ancient Maya and the New Archaeology" by Sabloff, ( a scientific american publication) and also the Nova documentary ' Cracking the Maya Code"

          Mike Pavlik