Re: [SACC-L] Maya Calendar

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2012
      The National Museum of the American Indian has been posting a daily "This Day in the Mayan Calendar" thing.
      Each day they link the current day in the Gregorian calendar with the date in the Mayan calendar (eg. January 13th in the Gregorian calendar =....in the Mayan calendar). I get it from the NMAI Facebook but I'm pretty sure you could also just go to the NMAI home page and search for Mayan calendar. There is a paragraph on each day, as they occur.

      Bob

      >>> "Nina Brown" <nina@...> 1/13/2012 7:23 AM >>>
      Hello,

      Interest in the Maya Calendar seems to be quite high among students right
      now. I guess it is understandable considering the impending end of time. I
      am wondering if anyone has an exercise for classes about how to decode and
      interpret the calendar? I remember seeing a kind of hands-on "practice" type
      exercise somewhere (perhaps one of those archaeology lab books), but I have
      turned my office upside down and I cannot find it. In general I am curious
      to know what, if anything, you might be doing about the topic of the
      calendar in classes?

      Thanks,

      Nina

    • Ann Bragdon
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 13, 2012
        http://blog.nmai.si.edu/main/2012/01/this-day-in-the-maya-calendar.html

        On Jan 13, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Bob Muckle wrote:

        > The National Museum of the American Indian has been posting a daily
        > "This Day in the Mayan Calendar" thing.
        > Each day they link the current day in the Gregorian calendar with
        > the date in the Mayan calendar (eg. January 13th in the Gregorian
        > calendar =....in the Mayan calendar). I get it from the NMAI
        > Facebook but I'm pretty sure you could also just go to the NMAI home
        > page and search for Mayan calendar. There is a paragraph on each
        > day, as they occur.
        >
        > Bob

        > Hello,
        >
        > Interest in the Maya Calendar seems to be quite high among students
        > right
        > now. I guess it is understandable considering the impending end of
        > time. I
        > am wondering if anyone has an exercise for classes about how to
        > decode and
        > interpret the calendar? I remember seeing a kind of hands-on
        > "practice" type
        > exercise somewhere (perhaps one of those archaeology lab books), but
        > I have
        > turned my office upside down and I cannot find it. In general I am
        > curious
        > to know what, if anything, you might be doing about the topic of the
        > calendar in classes?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Nina

      • Greg Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 13, 2012
          Here is a link to some great Maya calendar information written by Mayanist Mark Van Stone. There is a really nice PowerPoint presentation saved as a pdf file that you might find useful. I used to talk about this stuff only in my New World Civilizations class but now just about every course I teach gets a little "Maya Doomsday?" unit.

          http://www.famsi.org/research/vanstone/2012/index.html

          J. Gregory Smith, Ph.D.
          Assistant Professor of Anthropology
          Northwest College
          231 West Sixth Street
          Powell, Wyoming 82435
          office phone: 307/754-6131
          www.northwestcollege.edu/anthropology<www.northwestcollege.edu/area/anthropology>

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 13, 2012
            there is a nice piece in "THe Ancient Maya and the New Archaeology" by Sabloff, ( a scientific american publication) and also the Nova documentary ' Cracking the Maya Code"

            Mike Pavlik