Fwd: suggested resolutions to submit at upcoming Caucus

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
      I'm passing this on to some of my progressive family members and friends in Iowa who are likely to attend caucuses next Tuesday. I'm also including the SACC listserv to remind folks that Iowa is about to embark on its once-every-four-years "fifteen minutes of fame." The local merchants in Des Moines are rubbing their hands in glee as the national (and even some international) new media flood into town. Oh, fer joy, fer joy!

      Happy New Year!

      Lloyd

      Begin forwarded message:

      > Subject: Fwd: suggested resolutions to submit at upcoming Caucus
      >

      > Winds of Change....
      > Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.
      >
      > In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed
      > around.
      > (I'm suggesting these numbered items be submitted as Resolutions, to be submitted at your Jan 3 Caucus.)
      >
      > _*Congressional Reform Act of 2011*_
      > 1. No Tenure / No Pension.
      >
      > A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.
      >
      > 2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.
      >
      > All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into
      > the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
      >
      > 3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
      >
      > 4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
      >
      > 5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
      >
      > 6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
      >
      > 7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women.
      >
      > Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers
      > envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
      >
      > If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receive the message. Don't you think it's time?
      >
      > THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!
      >
      > If you agree with the above, pass it on. If not, just delete.
      > You are one of my 20+ - Please keep it going, and thanks.
      > .

    • frank lagana
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
        Thanks Lloyd for this.
        I'd add one more thing: congresspersons will not have any role to play in
        any legislation that might have an impact on any of their corporate donors.
        It's about time we *didn't *have the best congress money can buy.

        frank

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2011
          I agree wholeheartedly, Frank. I'd also add that the bankers and Wall Street moguls who screwed us be charged, tried, and, if convicted, heavily fined and sent to prison.

          I should point out that the email piece is a setup that someone, not Warren Buffet, wrote. Here's a quote from the truthorfiction.com site:

          "The Buffett quote is real and taken from a transcript of an interview on CNBC on July 7, 2011. Buffett gave a humorous quick solution to fix the problems of the deficit and Congress during a live interview. Buffett jokingly said, "I could end the deficit in five minutes. You just pass a law that says that any time there's a deficit of more than three percent of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election. Yeah, yeah, now you've got the incentives in the right place, right?"
          "TruthOrFiction.Com has found no evidence that Warren Buffett has made such a plea to forward this email on the Internet."

          The expressed sentiments are what moved me about the piece. I saw the proposals not as viable resolutions but as emotional support for the "re-claiming the nation" feelings that are currently permeating the air here in Iowa.

          I do look forward to attending my neighborhood Democratic caucus next Tuesday to hear what the various factions of the party have to say. However, a part of me has considered being a "fly on the wall" at the Republican caucus. That's where the excitement will be. But when the caucuses are over, Iowa will again become the "fly-over wilderness" for another four years.

          Lloyd