RE: [SACC-L] anthropology and the occupy wall street movement

  • Dianne C
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 28, 2011
      On a local news channel this morning, the OWS movement was called the "anti-capitalism" movement. This was on a religous radio station, which I thought was interesting. -- Dianne

      To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      From: lloyd.miller@...
      Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:08:42 -0600
      Subject: Re: [SACC-L] anthropology and the occupy wall street movement

      Frank and Ann,

      Thanks for these pieces on David Graeber. Being also "happily retired," Frank, I sometimes find myself out of the loop and probably would have missed these if not for you both. The article's author says that Graeber's economic theories are anti-establishment and that the discipline has given them little attention. Doubtless that's because, as an anthropologist, his theories encompass cultural practices from around the world and in greater historical depth than non-anthropological disciplines usually embrace.

      His dismissal from Yale suggests that the anthropological establishment might also not appreciate him. If so, he may join the ranks of Margaret Mead, Ashley Montagu and other anthropologists who have made lasting impressions on the public, and that would be a good thing!

      Lloyd