SACC San Diego 2012 Meeting Announcement (long)

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2011
      SACC Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA
      April 25-28, 2012
      Announcement

      *****

      It is my pleasure to invite you to San Diego for the SACC annual meeting in 2012. While I can't guarantee sunny skies in April, I will promise moderate temperatures. San Diego is a visitor's destination, and as such, may entice you to stay an extra few days to take advantage of what the city has to offer, including fun for families at parks such as Sea World and Legoland. San Diego has also been named one of America's best beer cities, with craft brewing complementing the rising exciting local food scene. As the earliest California settlement and home to Kumeyaay people, San Diego is rich in history. Today, it is home to a rich and vibrant immigrant population of Mexicans, Filipinos, Chinese, Iraqis, and Somalis, among other ethnicities. Early Spanish and Mexican influence can be felt all over the city, from taco shops to street names, architecture to art. San Diego is much more than a surf town. I hope to facilitate a conference filled with stimulating discussion, networking and fun, in a town where, according to the locals, there are "No Bad Days."

      Conference reservations will be online this year, with a link on the SACC website at http://saccweb.net I will send an email when the registration page is live. It should be very soon. For now, you may make hotel reservations, and read through the conference plan below.

      Our hotel, the Embassy Suites San Diego Bay – Downtown, overlooks the bay and Seaport Village, a shopping and dining area, on one side, and the edge of the hip Gaslamp Quarter on the other. Each suite has two rooms with two televisions, microwave, fridge and coffee maker for $149. Up to four people may share a room for $169. We have been offered free wireless access both in the rooms and meeting spaces. Starbucks is on site with free wireless as well. The hotel is pet friendly with a deposit. Our conference rate is good anytime from April 22 – May 1.

      Please use this special link for SACC reservations: http://embassysuites.hilton.com/en/es/groups/personalized/S/SANDNES-SAC-20120422/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG
      You may also call in reservations to 1-800-EMBASSY (1-800-362-2779) and reference the "SACC Annual Meeting" or group code "SAC".

      Getting to the hotel is easy whichever way you decide to arrive. It is 3 miles (5-10 minutes) from the San Diego International Airport (Lindbergh Field), three blocks from the Santa Fe train station and local Trolley depot, and three blocks from the cruise port. A taxi from the airport will cost about $15.00. Shuttles are also available for reservation through Cloud 9/Super Shuttle.

      If you want a concise summary of the agenda, here it is:
      Wed: Pre-conference Flint knapping workshop, Board Meeting and Welcome reception
      Thurs: Papers, Speaker, Lunch, Workshops, Vendor fair, Opportunity drawing
      Fri: Papers, Speaker, Lunch, Papers, Popsicles, Speaker
      Sat: Old Town San Diego, Lunch, Institute for Conservation Research at the San Diego Safari Park, Speaker, Banquet

      For those of you who want the full low-down, here are (all) the details as they stand today:
      On Wednesday, April 25th, Tim Gross will teach a pre-conference Flint knapping workshop, called "Round rocks and sharp edges: an introduction to stone tool making." Please register early as there are limited spaces available. Materials will be provided; please bring your own heavy duty gloves and protective eye wear. The cost to participate is $25.

      That afternoon, the Executive Board meets from 3-5 pm at the hotel, preceding our Welcome Reception from 5:30-7:30 pm. All are welcome.

      Thursday, April 26th begins our first official day of the conference. Help yourself to free hot breakfast and stop by the registration table in the morning. After several hours of paper presentations, Dr. Dominique Rissolo, Executive Director of the Waitt Institute for Discovery, will give a presentation. Dominique is an archaeologist with field experience in the United States and Latin America. He has taught for UCSD and San Diego State University, and proudly traces the beginnings of his career in academia to College of the Canyons in Valencia, CA, a community college. Dominique is a Research Associate at Scripps Institution of Oceanography and is director of the Yalahau Archaeological Cave Survey.

      After lunch in the hotel atrium, several teams of SACC members will be leading Mini-Workshops on the topics of "Getting a Teaching Job" and "Running a Field School." If you are seeking employment, or have considered starting a field school in cultural anthropology or archeology, then you will want to sign up for these free sessions.

      Also in the afternoon will be a one-hour Vendor Fair with anthropology publishers and ethnic crafts. Pick up a ticket at the vendor fair for an opportunity drawing at the Business Meeting to follow. Dinner is on your own. Luckily, the hotel is near many excellent restaurants in the Gaslamp Quarter downtown and Little Italy. Recommendations and menus will be provided.

      On Friday, April 27th, after hot breakfast and a morning of papers, we will have another excellent speaker, Dr. Bonnie Bade, Chair of the Anthropology department at Cal State University, San Marcos. She'll speak on the topic of Collaborative Anthropology in North County San Diego and emphasize her work with local indigenous migrant and tribal communities of the region, especially in the field of medical anthropology.

      Lunch and afternoon snack today will highlight two small, locally-owned businesses: gourmet box lunches from the MIHO Gastrotruck and gourmet popsicles from Viva Pops. We'll enjoy lunch al fresco at Seaport Village, just across the street from our hotel and pops at a break in the afternoon's papers. This is an excellent reason to come to afternoon papers!

      We are honored to have as our featured speaker for this year's SACC conference, the world's foremost research authority on orangutans, Dr. Biruté Galdikas. Dr. Galdikas spends half the year at her orangutan research and conservation center at Tanjung Puting National Park, in Indonesian Borneo. We are lucky to have caught her during her annual North American teaching and touring season. Dr. Galdikas will speak on her forty-year experience in Borneo and the important topic of orangutan conservation. Of course, an inspiring mentor and good intellectual stimulation require good sustenance! Dinner on your own tonight.

      Saturday, April 28th, is our field trip day, beginning early with a trip to Old Town, San Diego, considered the "birthplace" of California. San Diego is the site of the first permanent Spanish settlement in California. It was here in 1769 that Father Junipero Serra came to establish the very first mission in a chain of missions that were to be the cornerstone of California's colonization. When we arrive in Old Town, the ghosts will be waiting at "America's Most Haunted House," the historic Whaley House which dates to the 1850s. Out back, the archeologists will be waiting, at which time we'll learn about an on-going historical excavation on the Whaley House grounds from Dr. Seth Mallios, Archeologist and Chair of the Anthropology department at San Diego State University.

      You'll have some free time to explore and shop in Old Town, before lunch at "Casa Guadalajara," an excellent and festive Mexican restaurant.

      After lunch, we board a luxury bus and make our way to the Institute for Conservation Research at the Beckman Center. The Institute, at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park (formerly the Wild Animal Park) houses six laboratories and six research divisions in its Silver-level LEED certified facility. The facility is dedicated to making ground-breaking innovations in science and technology that helps solve complex conservation problems.

      This is the largest zoo-based multidisciplinary research effort in the world. More than 150 scientists carry out research vital to the conservation of animals, plants, and habitats in over 35 countries. The facility houses a Genetics Division which is home to the one-of-a-kind Frozen Zoo. Containing more than 8,000 living tissue samples, this genetic resource is an important source of samples for scientific studies benefitting people and wildlife. The Reproductive Physiology Division uses innovative technologies to assist in the reproduction of endangered species. There is a Wildlife Disease Laboratory working to prevent the spread of zoonotic and other diseases.

      After a tour of the facilities' labs, we'll gather in the conference room to hear a presentation by Dr. Jay Vavra, award-winning science teacher at High Tech High, Point Loma. Jay is renowned for his approach to community-based conservation, which has pushed the boundaries of what high school students can accomplish. In the spirit of Jane Goodall, his Roots & Shoots students have developed a DNA barcoding technique to help tackle the African bushmeat crisis by allowing scientists and environmental groups to trace illegal bushmeat. He has just finished spending several months in Mozambique with the great biologist E.O. Wilson, with whom he is working on an online science curriculum called Life on Earth.

      An extra workshop will be offered at this time for the first 36 registrants at the Beckman Center education lab called the Bushmeat Crisis module. Participants will pre-register for a $25 fee to spend 45 minutes learning about DNA barcodes and identifying dried bushmeat samples with digital tools. All participants will receive a DVD with Bushmeat Crisis curriculum.

      Those conference attendees not participating in the Bushmeat Crisis module will move on to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park (formerly the Wild Animal Park). The Park houses a large array of wild and endangered animals including species from the continents of Africa, Asia, Europe, North and South America, and Australia. The park is in a semi-arid environment and one of its most notable features is the Africa Tram which explores the expansive African exhibits. These free-range enclosures house such animals as antelopes, giraffes, buffalo, cranes, and rhinos. The park is also noted for its California condor breeding program, the most successful such program in the United States.

      The first bus that leaves the Beckman Center will have 2 hours to spend in the park; workshop participants will have 1 hour. (Please let me know if you require a wheelchair to get around the Park.) The final evening's banquet will take place at the Safari Park's covered outdoor Mombasa Island Pavilion, overlooking Mombasa Lagoon. The lagoon is in the center of a simulated Congolese fishing village, surrounded by paths, wooden walkways. This peaceful and scenic watering hole is home to pelicans, storks, shoebills, and ducks, along with migratory bird visitors like herons and egrets. We return to the hotel on the bus at 7:30 pm, with just enough time for one last night on the town!

      Whew!

      I sincerely hope you will join us.

      Laura