FW: WASCL Brown Bag

  • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2011
      I thought that those of you who attended the Savannah SACC meetings
      might be interested in hearing about this program hosted by the
      Anthropology Dept. at the University of South Carolina. -- Dianne

      WASCL

      (Wednesday Archaeology in South Carolina Lunch)

      Speaker: Jodi Barnes

      An Archaeology of Gullah People:

      A Call to Action

      As the landscape of coastal South Carolina changes due to development
      and tourism, sites - family cemeteries, fishing grounds, stores,
      churches, schools, and houses -- within the area face destruction.
      Archaeologists conducting research on lowcountry sites have generally
      considered their work to be on slave society, rather than on African or
      African American peoples creating a cultural identity, a Gullah
      identity. In addition, the African American experience is also tied to
      massive migrations from south to north, the birth of organized labor,
      the florescence of new churches, and the building of new communities and
      towns. We propose that archaeologists recognize the connection between
      the Gullah people and the sites they excavate. To do this, we use a case
      study and primary sources to show the role of inequality, race and
      racism in the ways sites are valued, deemed significant, and interpreted
      and to complicate historical narratives about the South Carolina
      lowcountry.

      Hamilton College, Rm 104

      Thursday, Nov. 10, 2011

      12:00 - 1:00

      The room has been changed for WASCL - Hamilton 104 is the new location!!
      Everything else is the same. Please see the attached email.

      Claudia F. Carriere

      Administrative Assistant

      Undergraduate Advisor

      University of South Carolina

      Department of Anthropology

      1512 Pendleton Street

      Hamilton College, Room 317

      Columbia, SC 29208

      803-777-0993

      Fax: 803-777-0259

      ----------

    • Anthony Balzano
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2011
        Dianne,

        I use the Gullah as a case study in my Cultural Anthro classes. How might I access student friendly articles or other materials from the folks who are currently doing research among/with the Gullah? Any suggestions?

        Anthony Balzano, PhD
        Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
        Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
        Sussex County (NJ) Community College
        1 College Hill Rd.
        Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

        abalzano@...
        fonddesblancs2010@...
        SKYPE: anthonybalzano
        SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
        Cell: 973-271-7680

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2011
          Tony, I'd start by checking with the Penn Center.
          http://www.penncenter.com/ I imagine they know most of what's going
          on.

          The State of SC and Fed Gvt are also developing the "Gullah Corridor"
          http://www.nps.gov/guge/index.htm which might be a resource.

          See you in Montreal!

          Dianne

          I use the Gullah as a case study in my Cultural Anthro classes. How
          might I access student friendly articles or other materials from the
          folks who are currently doing research among/with the Gullah? Any
          suggestions?

          Anthony Balzano, PhD
          Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
          Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
          Sussex County (NJ) Community College
          1 College Hill Rd.
          Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

          abalzano@... <mailto:abalzano%40sussex.edu>
          fonddesblancs2010@... <mailto:fonddesblancs2010%40ymail.com>
          SKYPE: anthonybalzano
          SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
          Cell: 973-271-7680

[...]

          reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. To the best
          of our ability and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is
          free of viruses and malware.

        • Anthony Balzano

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 15, 2011
              Tony,

              I look forward to seeing you. Tomorrow's panel runs from 4-5:45p. I'm
              hoping a few people are around!

              --Dianne