Re: [SACC-L] Indigenous religions

  • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 8, 2011
      Will,

      Your student might find the chapter on the Yoruba Religion in Stephen
      Prothero's God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the
      World and Why Their Differences Matter.

      Good hunting for titles.

      Chuck Ellenbaum

      On Nov 7, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Hare II, William E wrote:

      > Hi Everyone,
      >
      > I have an advanced student who would like to complete an independent
      > study on the topic of indigenous religions. Any suggested books that I
      > should assign? I am looking for both a small survey text that
      > addresses
      > common challenges for indigenous groups (with a specific focus on
      > spiritual beliefs) and books that focus on a specific cultural
      > practice.
      >
      > Thank you for your time and assistance.
      >
      > Will
      >
      > William E Hare II
      >
      > Associate Professor of Anthropology
      >
      > Three Rivers Community College

    • Bob Muckle
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
        'Handbook of Native American Mythology' by Bastian and Mitchell (OUP, 2004) may be worth a look. It is like a encyclopedic in nature, mostly focusing on deities, themes, and concepts. Total page count is less than 300, in a 6" x 9" paperback.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 10, 2011
          Wow, for the first time in more years than I want to think about, I will be missing the SACC meeting! My daughter Carrie, now 31, will be getting married in Austin Texas on April 28th and I will be in Austin that month, keeping my blow gun carefully focused on the groom with my left hand, writing checks with my right. See some of you in Monreal.

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
            Super! This was just in time for me to include it on my powerpoint for Montreal. The session is Wednesday afternoon, but I hope some folks will be there.

            Laura, It looks like a terrific line-up for SACCfest!

            -- Dianne

[...]
            For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
            Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

          • Laura Gonzalez
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
              Thanks Dianne! I plan to put out the full official announcement next week,
              when the registration forms and hotel links are online. We may have a
              surprise speaker, and I am still working on pinning this person down.

              I will be there Wednesday, and unless there is some AAA meeting I need to
              attend, I will see you at the session… bleary-eyed from my Tuesday night
              Red-Eye flight, but there with a grande cappuccino nonetheless!

              Laura

              _____

[...]

              <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

              are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
              destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
              knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
              malware.

            • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                Everyone coming to Montreal! -- We have lots of discussion time for the "evolutionary ideas" panel. I hope y'all will bring ideas, comments and discussions!

                Laura, We'll make sure we get LOTS of coffee!

                I look forward to seeing folks.

                n Dianne

                Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>
                <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
                destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
                knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
                malware.

                ----------

              • Gilliland, Mary
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011

[...]

                  Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@...<mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                  <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                  Email communications to lloyd.miller@...<mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 14, 2011
                    M.K.,

                    We are asked by the AAA to stay on our schedule (paper hopping). So we'll try to keep to the schedule and then have lots of time for discussions. I don't think Autumn has sent her paper to be presented for her.

                    My cell phone number is 864-386-7200.

                    I will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn.

                    Thanks for your participation. I'll see you soon!

                    Cheers!

                    Dianne

[...]

                    Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                    <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                    Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 14, 2011
                      I'll time myself but am sure I can stay in lots. My presentation is more an overview of several themes I came across doing this & will flesh out a bit more for Lloyd. Hope that will be ok.

                      I think we will honor Ellen if we make sure the paper hoppers can get what they come for. I remember how amazing she was with her tight schedule each day for listening to things of interest.

                      See you soon- happy travels.

                      Mary Kay
                      Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                      November on the website at saccweb.net<http://saccweb.net>.
                      For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect
                      Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@...<mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                      <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                      Email communications to lloyd.miller@...<mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>