Re: [SACC-L] SACC Spring Conference

    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
      No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

      I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

      Lloyd

      On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

      > Got it! See you in Montreal?
      >
      > Anthony Balzano, PhD
      > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
      > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
      > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
      > 1 College Hill Rd.
      > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

    • Anthony Balzano
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
        Anthony Balzano, PhD
        Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
        Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
        Sussex County (NJ) Community College
        1 College Hill Rd.
        Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

        abalzano@...
        fonddesblancs2010@...
        SKYPE: anthonybalzano
        SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
        Cell: 973-271-7680

        No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

        I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

        Lloyd

        On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

        > Got it! See you in Montreal?
        >
        > Anthony Balzano, PhD
        > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
        > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
        > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
        > 1 College Hill Rd.
        > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

      • Anthony Balzano
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
          Lloyd --

          This string started because my institution has opened faculty travel funds for the first time in about 3 years and I will be applying to attend San Diego -- so if the gods are working for me......
          I've developed a magical approach to relieving flying anxieties but of course prefer driving which I will be doing to arrive in Montreal -- 6-7 hours due north from northwest NJ.

          Regards, Tony

          Anthony Balzano, PhD
          Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
          Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
          Sussex County (NJ) Community College
          1 College Hill Rd.
          Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

          abalzano@...
          fonddesblancs2010@...
          SKYPE: anthonybalzano
          SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
          Cell: 973-271-7680

          No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

          I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

          Lloyd

          On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

          > Got it! See you in Montreal?
          >
          > Anthony Balzano, PhD
          > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
          > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
          > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
          > 1 College Hill Rd.
          > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

        • Hare II, William E
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 7, 2011
            Hi Everyone,

            I have an advanced student who would like to complete an independent
            study on the topic of indigenous religions. Any suggested books that I
            should assign? I am looking for both a small survey text that addresses
            common challenges for indigenous groups (with a specific focus on
            spiritual beliefs) and books that focus on a specific cultural practice.

            Thank you for your time and assistance.

            Will

            William E Hare II

            Associate Professor of Anthropology

            Three Rivers Community College

          • Mim.Roeder
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 7, 2011
              One text that I currently use for my native Americans course is Claire R. Farrer's Thunder Rides a Black Horse.  In it she developes a concept she calls "mythic present" in relationship to the Mescalero Apache, perhaps focusing primarily on their girl's puberty ceremony.

              Mim. Roeder, M.A.
              Anthropology, LRC 304
              Social and Behavioral Sciences
              Butte College

              >________________________________

            • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 8, 2011
                Will,

                Your student might find the chapter on the Yoruba Religion in Stephen
                Prothero's God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the
                World and Why Their Differences Matter.

                Good hunting for titles.

                Chuck Ellenbaum

                On Nov 7, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Hare II, William E wrote:

                > Hi Everyone,
                >
                > I have an advanced student who would like to complete an independent
                > study on the topic of indigenous religions. Any suggested books that I
                > should assign? I am looking for both a small survey text that
                > addresses
                > common challenges for indigenous groups (with a specific focus on
                > spiritual beliefs) and books that focus on a specific cultural
                > practice.
                >
                > Thank you for your time and assistance.
                >
                > Will
                >
                > William E Hare II
                >
                > Associate Professor of Anthropology
                >
                > Three Rivers Community College

              • Bob Muckle
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
                  'Handbook of Native American Mythology' by Bastian and Mitchell (OUP, 2004) may be worth a look. It is like a encyclopedic in nature, mostly focusing on deities, themes, and concepts. Total page count is less than 300, in a 6" x 9" paperback.

                  Bob

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 10, 2011
                    Wow, for the first time in more years than I want to think about, I will be missing the SACC meeting! My daughter Carrie, now 31, will be getting married in Austin Texas on April 28th and I will be in Austin that month, keeping my blow gun carefully focused on the groom with my left hand, writing checks with my right. See some of you in Monreal.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                      Super! This was just in time for me to include it on my powerpoint for Montreal. The session is Wednesday afternoon, but I hope some folks will be there.

                      Laura, It looks like a terrific line-up for SACCfest!

                      -- Dianne

[...]
                      For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                      Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                    • Laura Gonzalez
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                        Thanks Dianne! I plan to put out the full official announcement next week,
                        when the registration forms and hotel links are online. We may have a
                        surprise speaker, and I am still working on pinning this person down.

                        I will be there Wednesday, and unless there is some AAA meeting I need to
                        attend, I will see you at the session… bleary-eyed from my Tuesday night
                        Red-Eye flight, but there with a grande cappuccino nonetheless!

                        Laura

                        _____

[...]

                        <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                        are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
                        destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
                        knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
                        malware.

                      • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                          Everyone coming to Montreal! -- We have lots of discussion time for the "evolutionary ideas" panel. I hope y'all will bring ideas, comments and discussions!

                          Laura, We'll make sure we get LOTS of coffee!

                          I look forward to seeing folks.

                          n Dianne

                          Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                          <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                          Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>
                          <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                          are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
                          destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
                          knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
                          malware.

                          ----------

                        • Gilliland, Mary
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011

[...]

                            Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@...<mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                            <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                            Email communications to lloyd.miller@...<mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 14, 2011
                              M.K.,

                              We are asked by the AAA to stay on our schedule (paper hopping). So we'll try to keep to the schedule and then have lots of time for discussions. I don't think Autumn has sent her paper to be presented for her.

                              My cell phone number is 864-386-7200.

                              I will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn.

                              Thanks for your participation. I'll see you soon!

                              Cheers!

                              Dianne

[...]

                              Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                              <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                              Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 14, 2011
                                I'll time myself but am sure I can stay in lots. My presentation is more an overview of several themes I came across doing this & will flesh out a bit more for Lloyd. Hope that will be ok.

                                I think we will honor Ellen if we make sure the paper hoppers can get what they come for. I remember how amazing she was with her tight schedule each day for listening to things of interest.

                                See you soon- happy travels.

                                Mary Kay
                                Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                                November on the website at saccweb.net<http://saccweb.net>.
                                For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect
                                Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@...<mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                Email communications to lloyd.miller@...<mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>