RE: [SACC-L] SACC Spring Conference

  • Anthony Balzano
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
      Got it! See you in Montreal?

      Anthony Balzano, PhD
      Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
      Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
      Sussex County (NJ) Community College
      1 College Hill Rd.
      Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

      abalzano@...
      fonddesblancs2010@...
      SKYPE: anthonybalzano
      SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
      Cell: 973-271-7680

      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
        Greetings,

        I have been "lurking" for sometime - preoccupied with other affairs,
        including organizing in East Oakland following the drive-by shooting of
        a 3-year old (a cousin of some of my former students). Anyway, I would
        like to get our Anthro faculty involved in SACC, as I am headed into
        retirement. Funding is obviously a constant problem. Has anyone
        discovered funding sources outside our impoverished institutions, that
        might be tapped as sources of travel and conference monies? Just my
        first attempt at this.

        kip
        (Sorry i won't be joining you in Montreal - Enjoy!)

        Kip Waldo
        Anthropology Instructor
        Chabot College
        25555 Hesperian Blvd.
        Hayward, CA 94545

        kwaldo@...
        voice 510.723.6980

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
          No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

          I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

          Lloyd

          On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

          > Got it! See you in Montreal?
          >
          > Anthony Balzano, PhD
          > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
          > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
          > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
          > 1 College Hill Rd.
          > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

        • Anthony Balzano

            No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

            I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

            Lloyd

            On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

            > Got it! See you in Montreal?
            >
            > Anthony Balzano, PhD
            > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
            > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
            > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
            > 1 College Hill Rd.
            > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

          • Anthony Balzano
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
              Lloyd --

              This string started because my institution has opened faculty travel funds for the first time in about 3 years and I will be applying to attend San Diego -- so if the gods are working for me......
              I've developed a magical approach to relieving flying anxieties but of course prefer driving which I will be doing to arrive in Montreal -- 6-7 hours due north from northwest NJ.

              Regards, Tony

              Anthony Balzano, PhD
              Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
              Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
              Sussex County (NJ) Community College
              1 College Hill Rd.
              Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

              abalzano@...
              fonddesblancs2010@...
              SKYPE: anthonybalzano
              SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
              Cell: 973-271-7680

              No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

              I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

              Lloyd

              On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

              > Got it! See you in Montreal?
              >
              > Anthony Balzano, PhD
              > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
              > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
              > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
              > 1 College Hill Rd.
              > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

            • Hare II, William E
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 7, 2011
                Hi Everyone,

                I have an advanced student who would like to complete an independent
                study on the topic of indigenous religions. Any suggested books that I
                should assign? I am looking for both a small survey text that addresses
                common challenges for indigenous groups (with a specific focus on
                spiritual beliefs) and books that focus on a specific cultural practice.

                Thank you for your time and assistance.

                Will

                William E Hare II

                Associate Professor of Anthropology

                Three Rivers Community College

              • Mim.Roeder
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 7, 2011
                  One text that I currently use for my native Americans course is Claire R. Farrer's Thunder Rides a Black Horse.  In it she developes a concept she calls "mythic present" in relationship to the Mescalero Apache, perhaps focusing primarily on their girl's puberty ceremony.

                  Mim. Roeder, M.A.
                  Anthropology, LRC 304
                  Social and Behavioral Sciences
                  Butte College

                  >________________________________

                • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 8, 2011
                    Will,

                    Your student might find the chapter on the Yoruba Religion in Stephen
                    Prothero's God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the
                    World and Why Their Differences Matter.

                    Good hunting for titles.

                    Chuck Ellenbaum

                    On Nov 7, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Hare II, William E wrote:

                    > Hi Everyone,
                    >
                    > I have an advanced student who would like to complete an independent
                    > study on the topic of indigenous religions. Any suggested books that I
                    > should assign? I am looking for both a small survey text that
                    > addresses
                    > common challenges for indigenous groups (with a specific focus on
                    > spiritual beliefs) and books that focus on a specific cultural
                    > practice.
                    >
                    > Thank you for your time and assistance.
                    >
                    > Will
                    >
                    > William E Hare II
                    >
                    > Associate Professor of Anthropology
                    >
                    > Three Rivers Community College

                  • Bob Muckle
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
                      'Handbook of Native American Mythology' by Bastian and Mitchell (OUP, 2004) may be worth a look. It is like a encyclopedic in nature, mostly focusing on deities, themes, and concepts. Total page count is less than 300, in a 6" x 9" paperback.

                      Bob

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 10, 2011
                        Wow, for the first time in more years than I want to think about, I will be missing the SACC meeting! My daughter Carrie, now 31, will be getting married in Austin Texas on April 28th and I will be in Austin that month, keeping my blow gun carefully focused on the groom with my left hand, writing checks with my right. See some of you in Monreal.

                      • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                          Super! This was just in time for me to include it on my powerpoint for Montreal. The session is Wednesday afternoon, but I hope some folks will be there.

                          Laura, It looks like a terrific line-up for SACCfest!

                          -- Dianne

[...]
                          For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                          Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                        • Laura Gonzalez
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                            Thanks Dianne! I plan to put out the full official announcement next week,
                            when the registration forms and hotel links are online. We may have a
                            surprise speaker, and I am still working on pinning this person down.

                            I will be there Wednesday, and unless there is some AAA meeting I need to
                            attend, I will see you at the session… bleary-eyed from my Tuesday night
                            Red-Eye flight, but there with a grande cappuccino nonetheless!

                            Laura

                            _____

[...]

                            <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                            are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
                            destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
                            knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
                            malware.

                          • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                              Everyone coming to Montreal! -- We have lots of discussion time for the "evolutionary ideas" panel. I hope y'all will bring ideas, comments and discussions!

                              Laura, We'll make sure we get LOTS of coffee!

                              I look forward to seeing folks.

                              n Dianne

                              Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                              <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                              Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>
                              <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                              are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
                              destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
                              knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
                              malware.

                              ----------

                            • Gilliland, Mary
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011

[...]

                                Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@...<mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                Email communications to lloyd.miller@...<mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 14, 2011
                                  M.K.,

                                  We are asked by the AAA to stay on our schedule (paper hopping). So we'll try to keep to the schedule and then have lots of time for discussions. I don't think Autumn has sent her paper to be presented for her.

                                  My cell phone number is 864-386-7200.

                                  I will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn.

                                  Thanks for your participation. I'll see you soon!

                                  Cheers!

                                  Dianne

[...]

                                  Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                  <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                  Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 14, 2011
                                    I'll time myself but am sure I can stay in lots. My presentation is more an overview of several themes I came across doing this & will flesh out a bit more for Lloyd. Hope that will be ok.

                                    I think we will honor Ellen if we make sure the paper hoppers can get what they come for. I remember how amazing she was with her tight schedule each day for listening to things of interest.

                                    See you soon- happy travels.

                                    Mary Kay
                                    Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                                    November on the website at saccweb.net<http://saccweb.net>.
                                    For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect
                                    Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@...<mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                    <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                    Email communications to lloyd.miller@...<mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>