Re: [SACC-L] SACC Spring Conference

    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 4, 2011
      Tony, here's our brief November 2011 AN column; it should be in your mailbox by now.
      Lloyd

      Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges
      Lloyd Miller, Contributing Editor
      November 2011

      SACC Fest 2012
      We�re meeting in sunny San Diego April 25-28 at the Embassy Suites San Diego Bay-Downtown. The hotel faces Seaport Village as well as San Diego Bay, and is a few blocks from downtown's hip Gas-Lamp Quarter. Registration is $275 for members, $300 for non-members and $150 for students. Hotel rooms are $149/night and you can sleep up to four in a suite for $169. Group rates are good for two nights prior and two nights after (beginning Sun night) with a first come, first served policy.
      Planned speakers include Dr. Dominique Rissolo, Archeologist and Executive Director of the Waitt Institute; Dr. Jay Vavra, award-winning Science teacher currently developing science curriculum with E.O. Wilson; Dr. Bonnie Bade, Cultural/Medical Anthropologist from California State University San Marcos; and Dr. Seth Mallios, Archeologist, San Diego State University, project director of an excavation at the Whaley House, "America's Most Haunted House." Our planned field trip is a behind-the-scenes visit to the Institute for Conservation Research at the San Diego Safari Park (formerly Wild Animal Park). Planned workshops include �Getting a Teaching Position� and a hands-on Lithics Workshop. Call for papers will be published in November on the website at saccweb.net.
      For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect Laura Tubelle de Gonz�lez, lagonzal@....
      Email communications to lloyd.miller@....

      On Nov 3, 2011, at 3:44 PM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

      > Thanks! You might scan that sticky note and sent it out as an attachment!
      >
      > Anthony Balzano, PhD
      > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
      > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
      > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
      > 1 College Hill Rd.
      > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)
      >
      > abalzano@...
      > fonddesblancs2010@...
      > SKYPE: anthonybalzano
      > SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

    • Anthony Balzano

        For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@....
        Email communications to lloyd.miller@....

        On Nov 3, 2011, at 3:44 PM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

        > Thanks! You might scan that sticky note and sent it out as an attachment!
        >
        > Anthony Balzano, PhD
        > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
        > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
        > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
        > 1 College Hill Rd.
        > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)
        >
        > abalzano@...
        > fonddesblancs2010@...
        > SKYPE: anthonybalzano
        > SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

      • Kip Waldo
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
          Greetings,

          I have been "lurking" for sometime - preoccupied with other affairs,
          including organizing in East Oakland following the drive-by shooting of
          a 3-year old (a cousin of some of my former students). Anyway, I would
          like to get our Anthro faculty involved in SACC, as I am headed into
          retirement. Funding is obviously a constant problem. Has anyone
          discovered funding sources outside our impoverished institutions, that
          might be tapped as sources of travel and conference monies? Just my
          first attempt at this.

          kip
          (Sorry i won't be joining you in Montreal - Enjoy!)

          Kip Waldo
          Anthropology Instructor
          Chabot College
          25555 Hesperian Blvd.
          Hayward, CA 94545

          kwaldo@...
          voice 510.723.6980

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
            No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

            I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

            Lloyd

            On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

            > Got it! See you in Montreal?
            >
            > Anthony Balzano, PhD
            > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
            > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
            > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
            > 1 College Hill Rd.
            > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

          • Anthony Balzano

              No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

              I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

              Lloyd

              On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

              > Got it! See you in Montreal?
              >
              > Anthony Balzano, PhD
              > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
              > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
              > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
              > 1 College Hill Rd.
              > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

            • Anthony Balzano
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
                Lloyd --

                This string started because my institution has opened faculty travel funds for the first time in about 3 years and I will be applying to attend San Diego -- so if the gods are working for me......
                I've developed a magical approach to relieving flying anxieties but of course prefer driving which I will be doing to arrive in Montreal -- 6-7 hours due north from northwest NJ.

                Regards, Tony

                Anthony Balzano, PhD
                Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
                Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                1 College Hill Rd.
                Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

                abalzano@...
                fonddesblancs2010@...
                SKYPE: anthonybalzano
                SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
                Cell: 973-271-7680

                No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

                I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

                Lloyd

                On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

                > Got it! See you in Montreal?
                >
                > Anthony Balzano, PhD
                > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
                > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                > 1 College Hill Rd.
                > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

              • Hare II, William E
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 7, 2011
                  Hi Everyone,

                  I have an advanced student who would like to complete an independent
                  study on the topic of indigenous religions. Any suggested books that I
                  should assign? I am looking for both a small survey text that addresses
                  common challenges for indigenous groups (with a specific focus on
                  spiritual beliefs) and books that focus on a specific cultural practice.

                  Thank you for your time and assistance.

                  Will

                  William E Hare II

                  Associate Professor of Anthropology

                  Three Rivers Community College

                • Mim.Roeder
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 7, 2011
                    One text that I currently use for my native Americans course is Claire R. Farrer's Thunder Rides a Black Horse.  In it she developes a concept she calls "mythic present" in relationship to the Mescalero Apache, perhaps focusing primarily on their girl's puberty ceremony.

                    Mim. Roeder, M.A.
                    Anthropology, LRC 304
                    Social and Behavioral Sciences
                    Butte College

                    >________________________________

                  • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 8, 2011
                      Will,

                      Your student might find the chapter on the Yoruba Religion in Stephen
                      Prothero's God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the
                      World and Why Their Differences Matter.

                      Good hunting for titles.

                      Chuck Ellenbaum

                      On Nov 7, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Hare II, William E wrote:

                      > Hi Everyone,
                      >
                      > I have an advanced student who would like to complete an independent
                      > study on the topic of indigenous religions. Any suggested books that I
                      > should assign? I am looking for both a small survey text that
                      > addresses
                      > common challenges for indigenous groups (with a specific focus on
                      > spiritual beliefs) and books that focus on a specific cultural
                      > practice.
                      >
                      > Thank you for your time and assistance.
                      >
                      > Will
                      >
                      > William E Hare II
                      >
                      > Associate Professor of Anthropology
                      >
                      > Three Rivers Community College

                    • Bob Muckle
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
                        'Handbook of Native American Mythology' by Bastian and Mitchell (OUP, 2004) may be worth a look. It is like a encyclopedic in nature, mostly focusing on deities, themes, and concepts. Total page count is less than 300, in a 6" x 9" paperback.

                        Bob

                        • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                            Super! This was just in time for me to include it on my powerpoint for Montreal. The session is Wednesday afternoon, but I hope some folks will be there.

                            Laura, It looks like a terrific line-up for SACCfest!

                            -- Dianne

[...]
                            For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                            Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                          • Laura Gonzalez
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                              Thanks Dianne! I plan to put out the full official announcement next week,
                              when the registration forms and hotel links are online. We may have a
                              surprise speaker, and I am still working on pinning this person down.

                              I will be there Wednesday, and unless there is some AAA meeting I need to
                              attend, I will see you at the session… bleary-eyed from my Tuesday night
                              Red-Eye flight, but there with a grande cappuccino nonetheless!

                              Laura

                              _____

[...]

                              <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                              are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
                              destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
                              knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
                              malware.

                            • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                                Everyone coming to Montreal! -- We have lots of discussion time for the "evolutionary ideas" panel. I hope y'all will bring ideas, comments and discussions!

                                Laura, We'll make sure we get LOTS of coffee!

                                I look forward to seeing folks.

                                n Dianne

                                Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>
                                <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                                are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
                                destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
                                knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
                                malware.

                                ----------

                              • Gilliland, Mary
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011

[...]

                                  Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@...<mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                  <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                  Email communications to lloyd.miller@...<mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 14, 2011
                                    M.K.,

                                    We are asked by the AAA to stay on our schedule (paper hopping). So we'll try to keep to the schedule and then have lots of time for discussions. I don't think Autumn has sent her paper to be presented for her.

                                    My cell phone number is 864-386-7200.

                                    I will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn.

                                    Thanks for your participation. I'll see you soon!

                                    Cheers!

                                    Dianne

[...]

                                    Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                    <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                    Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 14, 2011
                                      I'll time myself but am sure I can stay in lots. My presentation is more an overview of several themes I came across doing this & will flesh out a bit more for Lloyd. Hope that will be ok.

                                      I think we will honor Ellen if we make sure the paper hoppers can get what they come for. I remember how amazing she was with her tight schedule each day for listening to things of interest.

                                      See you soon- happy travels.

                                      Mary Kay
                                      Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                                      November on the website at saccweb.net<http://saccweb.net>.
                                      For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect
                                      Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@...<mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                      <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                      Email communications to lloyd.miller@...<mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>