Re: [SACC-L] Re: SACC Spring Conference

  • Laura Gonzalez
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 3, 2011
      Thanks Brian. This info is on the home page of the website. I plan to release the full conference announcement and call for papers on November 15. Just have a few more details to iron out!

      Sent from my iPhone

      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 4, 2011
        This is currently the information on the annual meeting that is on the Home Page of the SACC website, found right after NEWS:

        The 2012 SACC Annual Meeting is being organized by President-Elect Laura Gonzalez. Come and join us at the Embassy Suites in San Diego, CA, April 25-28, 2012. Rooms are $149; suites, $169 (can accommodate 4 persons). Registration will be $275. More information will be following.

        By the way, we now are working on moving our website over to the AAA to host. The AAA is also using WordPress and they can be a backup should we need assistance with the website. Continue sending updates to me, however. Ann

        My source is a yellow sticky note on my computer, so you are well-advised to seek additional confirmation.

        Bob

        >>> "Anthony Balzano" <abalzano@...<mailto:abalzano%40sussex.edu>> 11/3/2011 10:15 AM >>>
        SACC-ers:

        I thought I would find info on SACC-2012 conference on the WebSite but
        it was not to be. Can someone direct me to where I can find the when
        and the where for SACC's spring conference?

        Thanks.

        Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.

        Professor of Anthropology & Sociology

        Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History

        Sussex County (NJ) Community College

        1 College Hill Rd.

        Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

        abalzano@...<mailto:abalzano%40sussex.edu>

        fonddesblancs2010@...<mailto:fonddesblancs2010%40ymail.com>

        SKYPE: anthonybalzano

        SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

        Cell: 973-271-7680

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 4, 2011
          Tony, here's our brief November 2011 AN column; it should be in your mailbox by now.
          Lloyd

          Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges
          Lloyd Miller, Contributing Editor
          November 2011

          SACC Fest 2012
          We�re meeting in sunny San Diego April 25-28 at the Embassy Suites San Diego Bay-Downtown. The hotel faces Seaport Village as well as San Diego Bay, and is a few blocks from downtown's hip Gas-Lamp Quarter. Registration is $275 for members, $300 for non-members and $150 for students. Hotel rooms are $149/night and you can sleep up to four in a suite for $169. Group rates are good for two nights prior and two nights after (beginning Sun night) with a first come, first served policy.
          Planned speakers include Dr. Dominique Rissolo, Archeologist and Executive Director of the Waitt Institute; Dr. Jay Vavra, award-winning Science teacher currently developing science curriculum with E.O. Wilson; Dr. Bonnie Bade, Cultural/Medical Anthropologist from California State University San Marcos; and Dr. Seth Mallios, Archeologist, San Diego State University, project director of an excavation at the Whaley House, "America's Most Haunted House." Our planned field trip is a behind-the-scenes visit to the Institute for Conservation Research at the San Diego Safari Park (formerly Wild Animal Park). Planned workshops include �Getting a Teaching Position� and a hands-on Lithics Workshop. Call for papers will be published in November on the website at saccweb.net.
          For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect Laura Tubelle de Gonz�lez, lagonzal@....
          Email communications to lloyd.miller@....

          On Nov 3, 2011, at 3:44 PM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

          > Thanks! You might scan that sticky note and sent it out as an attachment!
          >
          > Anthony Balzano, PhD
          > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
          > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
          > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
          > 1 College Hill Rd.
          > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)
          >
          > abalzano@...
          > fonddesblancs2010@...
          > SKYPE: anthonybalzano
          > SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

        • Anthony Balzano

            For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@....
            Email communications to lloyd.miller@....

            On Nov 3, 2011, at 3:44 PM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

            > Thanks! You might scan that sticky note and sent it out as an attachment!
            >
            > Anthony Balzano, PhD
            > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
            > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
            > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
            > 1 College Hill Rd.
            > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)
            >
            > abalzano@...
            > fonddesblancs2010@...
            > SKYPE: anthonybalzano
            > SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

          • Kip Waldo
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
              Greetings,

              I have been "lurking" for sometime - preoccupied with other affairs,
              including organizing in East Oakland following the drive-by shooting of
              a 3-year old (a cousin of some of my former students). Anyway, I would
              like to get our Anthro faculty involved in SACC, as I am headed into
              retirement. Funding is obviously a constant problem. Has anyone
              discovered funding sources outside our impoverished institutions, that
              might be tapped as sources of travel and conference monies? Just my
              first attempt at this.

              kip
              (Sorry i won't be joining you in Montreal - Enjoy!)

              Kip Waldo
              Anthropology Instructor
              Chabot College
              25555 Hesperian Blvd.
              Hayward, CA 94545

              kwaldo@...
              voice 510.723.6980

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
                No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

                I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

                Lloyd

                On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

                > Got it! See you in Montreal?
                >
                > Anthony Balzano, PhD
                > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
                > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                > 1 College Hill Rd.
                > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

              • Anthony Balzano

                  No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

                  I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

                  Lloyd

                  On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

                  > Got it! See you in Montreal?
                  >
                  > Anthony Balzano, PhD
                  > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                  > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
                  > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                  > 1 College Hill Rd.
                  > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

                • Anthony Balzano
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
                    Lloyd --

                    This string started because my institution has opened faculty travel funds for the first time in about 3 years and I will be applying to attend San Diego -- so if the gods are working for me......
                    I've developed a magical approach to relieving flying anxieties but of course prefer driving which I will be doing to arrive in Montreal -- 6-7 hours due north from northwest NJ.

                    Regards, Tony

                    Anthony Balzano, PhD
                    Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                    Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
                    Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                    1 College Hill Rd.
                    Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

                    abalzano@...
                    fonddesblancs2010@...
                    SKYPE: anthonybalzano
                    SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
                    Cell: 973-271-7680

                    No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

                    I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

                    Lloyd

                    On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

                    > Got it! See you in Montreal?
                    >
                    > Anthony Balzano, PhD
                    > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                    > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
                    > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                    > 1 College Hill Rd.
                    > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

                  • Hare II, William E
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 7, 2011
                      Hi Everyone,

                      I have an advanced student who would like to complete an independent
                      study on the topic of indigenous religions. Any suggested books that I
                      should assign? I am looking for both a small survey text that addresses
                      common challenges for indigenous groups (with a specific focus on
                      spiritual beliefs) and books that focus on a specific cultural practice.

                      Thank you for your time and assistance.

                      Will

                      William E Hare II

                      Associate Professor of Anthropology

                      Three Rivers Community College

                    • Mim.Roeder
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 7, 2011
                        One text that I currently use for my native Americans course is Claire R. Farrer's Thunder Rides a Black Horse.  In it she developes a concept she calls "mythic present" in relationship to the Mescalero Apache, perhaps focusing primarily on their girl's puberty ceremony.

                        Mim. Roeder, M.A.
                        Anthropology, LRC 304
                        Social and Behavioral Sciences
                        Butte College

                        >________________________________

                      • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 8, 2011
                          Will,

                          Your student might find the chapter on the Yoruba Religion in Stephen
                          Prothero's God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the
                          World and Why Their Differences Matter.

                          Good hunting for titles.

                          Chuck Ellenbaum

                          On Nov 7, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Hare II, William E wrote:

                          > Hi Everyone,
                          >
                          > I have an advanced student who would like to complete an independent
                          > study on the topic of indigenous religions. Any suggested books that I
                          > should assign? I am looking for both a small survey text that
                          > addresses
                          > common challenges for indigenous groups (with a specific focus on
                          > spiritual beliefs) and books that focus on a specific cultural
                          > practice.
                          >
                          > Thank you for your time and assistance.
                          >
                          > Will
                          >
                          > William E Hare II
                          >
                          > Associate Professor of Anthropology
                          >
                          > Three Rivers Community College

                        • Bob Muckle
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
                            'Handbook of Native American Mythology' by Bastian and Mitchell (OUP, 2004) may be worth a look. It is like a encyclopedic in nature, mostly focusing on deities, themes, and concepts. Total page count is less than 300, in a 6" x 9" paperback.

                            Bob

                            • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                                Super! This was just in time for me to include it on my powerpoint for Montreal. The session is Wednesday afternoon, but I hope some folks will be there.

                                Laura, It looks like a terrific line-up for SACCfest!

                                -- Dianne

[...]
                                For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                              • Laura Gonzalez
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                                  Thanks Dianne! I plan to put out the full official announcement next week,
                                  when the registration forms and hotel links are online. We may have a
                                  surprise speaker, and I am still working on pinning this person down.

                                  I will be there Wednesday, and unless there is some AAA meeting I need to
                                  attend, I will see you at the session… bleary-eyed from my Tuesday night
                                  Red-Eye flight, but there with a grande cappuccino nonetheless!

                                  Laura

                                  _____

[...]

                                  <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                                  are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
                                  destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
                                  knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
                                  malware.

                                • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                                    Everyone coming to Montreal! -- We have lots of discussion time for the "evolutionary ideas" panel. I hope y'all will bring ideas, comments and discussions!

                                    Laura, We'll make sure we get LOTS of coffee!

                                    I look forward to seeing folks.

                                    n Dianne

                                    Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                    <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                    Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>
                                    <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                                    are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
                                    destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
                                    knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
                                    malware.

                                    ----------

                                  • Gilliland, Mary
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011

[...]

                                      Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@...<mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                      <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                      Email communications to lloyd.miller@...<mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 14, 2011
                                        M.K.,

                                        We are asked by the AAA to stay on our schedule (paper hopping). So we'll try to keep to the schedule and then have lots of time for discussions. I don't think Autumn has sent her paper to be presented for her.

                                        My cell phone number is 864-386-7200.

                                        I will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn.

                                        Thanks for your participation. I'll see you soon!

                                        Cheers!

                                        Dianne

[...]

                                        Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                        <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                        Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 14, 2011
                                          I'll time myself but am sure I can stay in lots. My presentation is more an overview of several themes I came across doing this & will flesh out a bit more for Lloyd. Hope that will be ok.

                                          I think we will honor Ellen if we make sure the paper hoppers can get what they come for. I remember how amazing she was with her tight schedule each day for listening to things of interest.

                                          See you soon- happy travels.

                                          Mary Kay
                                          Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                                          November on the website at saccweb.net<http://saccweb.net>.
                                          For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect
                                          Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@...<mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                          <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                          Email communications to lloyd.miller@...<mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>