SACC Spring Conference

  • Anthony Balzano
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 3, 2011
      SACC-ers:

      I thought I would find info on SACC-2012 conference on the WebSite but
      it was not to be. Can someone direct me to where I can find the when
      and the where for SACC's spring conference?

      Thanks.

      Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.

      Professor of Anthropology & Sociology

      Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History

      Sussex County (NJ) Community College

      1 College Hill Rd.

      Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

      abalzano@...

      fonddesblancs2010@...

      SKYPE: anthonybalzano

      SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

      Cell: 973-271-7680

    • Bob Muckle
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 3, 2011
        April 25-29. San Diego.

        My source is a yellow sticky note on my computer, so you are well-advised to seek additional confirmation.

        Bob

        >>> "Anthony Balzano" <abalzano@...> 11/3/2011 10:15 AM >>>
        SACC-ers:

        I thought I would find info on SACC-2012 conference on the WebSite but
        it was not to be. Can someone direct me to where I can find the when
        and the where for SACC's spring conference?

        Thanks.

        Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.

        Professor of Anthropology & Sociology

        Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History

        Sussex County (NJ) Community College

        1 College Hill Rd.

        Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

        abalzano@...

        fonddesblancs2010@...

        SKYPE: anthonybalzano

        SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

        Cell: 973-271-7680

      • Anthony Balzano

          My source is a yellow sticky note on my computer, so you are well-advised to seek additional confirmation.

          Bob

          >>> "Anthony Balzano" <abalzano@...> 11/3/2011 10:15 AM >>>
          SACC-ers:

          I thought I would find info on SACC-2012 conference on the WebSite but
          it was not to be. Can someone direct me to where I can find the when
          and the where for SACC's spring conference?

          Thanks.

          Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.

          Professor of Anthropology & Sociology

          Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History

          Sussex County (NJ) Community College

          1 College Hill Rd.

          Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

          abalzano@...

          fonddesblancs2010@...

          SKYPE: anthonybalzano

          SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

          Cell: 973-271-7680

        • bdlqvcc
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 3, 2011
            Sent this a while ago but it didn't seem to go through. It is in the SACC website:

            From SACCWEb.net

            "The 2012 SACC Annual Meeting is being organized by President-Elect Laura Gonzalez. Come and join us at the Embassy Suites in San Diego, CA, April 25-28, 2012. Rooms are $149; suites, $169 (can accommodate 4 persons). Registration willl be $275. More information will be following."

            Brian

            --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Balzano" <abalzano@...> wrote:

            > Thanks! You might scan that sticky note and sent it out as an attachment!
            >
            > Anthony Balzano, PhD
            > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
            > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
            > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
            > 1 College Hill Rd.
            > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)
            >
            > abalzano@...
            > fonddesblancs2010@...
            > SKYPE: anthonybalzano
            > SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
            > Cell: 973-271-7680

          • Laura Gonzalez
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 3, 2011
              Thanks Brian. This info is on the home page of the website. I plan to release the full conference announcement and call for papers on November 15. Just have a few more details to iron out!

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 4, 2011
                This is currently the information on the annual meeting that is on the Home Page of the SACC website, found right after NEWS:

                The 2012 SACC Annual Meeting is being organized by President-Elect Laura Gonzalez. Come and join us at the Embassy Suites in San Diego, CA, April 25-28, 2012. Rooms are $149; suites, $169 (can accommodate 4 persons). Registration will be $275. More information will be following.

                By the way, we now are working on moving our website over to the AAA to host. The AAA is also using WordPress and they can be a backup should we need assistance with the website. Continue sending updates to me, however. Ann

                My source is a yellow sticky note on my computer, so you are well-advised to seek additional confirmation.

                Bob

                >>> "Anthony Balzano" <abalzano@...<mailto:abalzano%40sussex.edu>> 11/3/2011 10:15 AM >>>
                SACC-ers:

                I thought I would find info on SACC-2012 conference on the WebSite but
                it was not to be. Can someone direct me to where I can find the when
                and the where for SACC's spring conference?

                Thanks.

                Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.

                Professor of Anthropology & Sociology

                Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History

                Sussex County (NJ) Community College

                1 College Hill Rd.

                Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

                abalzano@...<mailto:abalzano%40sussex.edu>

                fonddesblancs2010@...<mailto:fonddesblancs2010%40ymail.com>

                SKYPE: anthonybalzano

                SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

                Cell: 973-271-7680

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 4, 2011
                  Tony, here's our brief November 2011 AN column; it should be in your mailbox by now.
                  Lloyd

                  Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges
                  Lloyd Miller, Contributing Editor
                  November 2011

                  SACC Fest 2012
                  We�re meeting in sunny San Diego April 25-28 at the Embassy Suites San Diego Bay-Downtown. The hotel faces Seaport Village as well as San Diego Bay, and is a few blocks from downtown's hip Gas-Lamp Quarter. Registration is $275 for members, $300 for non-members and $150 for students. Hotel rooms are $149/night and you can sleep up to four in a suite for $169. Group rates are good for two nights prior and two nights after (beginning Sun night) with a first come, first served policy.
                  Planned speakers include Dr. Dominique Rissolo, Archeologist and Executive Director of the Waitt Institute; Dr. Jay Vavra, award-winning Science teacher currently developing science curriculum with E.O. Wilson; Dr. Bonnie Bade, Cultural/Medical Anthropologist from California State University San Marcos; and Dr. Seth Mallios, Archeologist, San Diego State University, project director of an excavation at the Whaley House, "America's Most Haunted House." Our planned field trip is a behind-the-scenes visit to the Institute for Conservation Research at the San Diego Safari Park (formerly Wild Animal Park). Planned workshops include �Getting a Teaching Position� and a hands-on Lithics Workshop. Call for papers will be published in November on the website at saccweb.net.
                  For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect Laura Tubelle de Gonz�lez, lagonzal@....
                  Email communications to lloyd.miller@....

                  On Nov 3, 2011, at 3:44 PM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

                  > Thanks! You might scan that sticky note and sent it out as an attachment!
                  >
                  > Anthony Balzano, PhD
                  > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                  > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
                  > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                  > 1 College Hill Rd.
                  > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)
                  >
                  > abalzano@...
                  > fonddesblancs2010@...
                  > SKYPE: anthonybalzano
                  > SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

                • Anthony Balzano

                    For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@....
                    Email communications to lloyd.miller@....

                    On Nov 3, 2011, at 3:44 PM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

                    > Thanks! You might scan that sticky note and sent it out as an attachment!
                    >
                    > Anthony Balzano, PhD
                    > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                    > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
                    > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                    > 1 College Hill Rd.
                    > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)
                    >
                    > abalzano@...
                    > fonddesblancs2010@...
                    > SKYPE: anthonybalzano
                    > SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

                  • Kip Waldo
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
                      Greetings,

                      I have been "lurking" for sometime - preoccupied with other affairs,
                      including organizing in East Oakland following the drive-by shooting of
                      a 3-year old (a cousin of some of my former students). Anyway, I would
                      like to get our Anthro faculty involved in SACC, as I am headed into
                      retirement. Funding is obviously a constant problem. Has anyone
                      discovered funding sources outside our impoverished institutions, that
                      might be tapped as sources of travel and conference monies? Just my
                      first attempt at this.

                      kip
                      (Sorry i won't be joining you in Montreal - Enjoy!)

                      Kip Waldo
                      Anthropology Instructor
                      Chabot College
                      25555 Hesperian Blvd.
                      Hayward, CA 94545

                      kwaldo@...
                      voice 510.723.6980

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
                        No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

                        I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

                        Lloyd

                        On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

                        > Got it! See you in Montreal?
                        >
                        > Anthony Balzano, PhD
                        > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                        > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
                        > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                        > 1 College Hill Rd.
                        > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

                      • Anthony Balzano

                          No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

                          I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

                          Lloyd

                          On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

                          > Got it! See you in Montreal?
                          >
                          > Anthony Balzano, PhD
                          > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                          > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
                          > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                          > 1 College Hill Rd.
                          > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

                        • Anthony Balzano
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 6, 2011
                            Lloyd --

                            This string started because my institution has opened faculty travel funds for the first time in about 3 years and I will be applying to attend San Diego -- so if the gods are working for me......
                            I've developed a magical approach to relieving flying anxieties but of course prefer driving which I will be doing to arrive in Montreal -- 6-7 hours due north from northwest NJ.

                            Regards, Tony

                            Anthony Balzano, PhD
                            Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                            Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
                            Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                            1 College Hill Rd.
                            Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

                            abalzano@...
                            fonddesblancs2010@...
                            SKYPE: anthonybalzano
                            SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
                            Cell: 973-271-7680

                            No, I was planning to go, but finally decided that I just couldn't justify spending the money, plus I try to avoid flying (and supporting our disgraceful airline industry), and realized that driving would be a hassle through likely snow storms, etc. My biggest regret is missing seeing you and the other SACCers who will be there.

                            I am saving my pesos for San Diego next April. Will you attend that?

                            Lloyd

                            On Nov 6, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

                            > Got it! See you in Montreal?
                            >
                            > Anthony Balzano, PhD
                            > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                            > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
                            > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                            > 1 College Hill Rd.
                            > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

                          • Hare II, William E
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 7, 2011
                              Hi Everyone,

                              I have an advanced student who would like to complete an independent
                              study on the topic of indigenous religions. Any suggested books that I
                              should assign? I am looking for both a small survey text that addresses
                              common challenges for indigenous groups (with a specific focus on
                              spiritual beliefs) and books that focus on a specific cultural practice.

                              Thank you for your time and assistance.

                              Will

                              William E Hare II

                              Associate Professor of Anthropology

                              Three Rivers Community College

                            • Mim.Roeder
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 7, 2011
                                One text that I currently use for my native Americans course is Claire R. Farrer's Thunder Rides a Black Horse.  In it she developes a concept she calls "mythic present" in relationship to the Mescalero Apache, perhaps focusing primarily on their girl's puberty ceremony.

                                Mim. Roeder, M.A.
                                Anthropology, LRC 304
                                Social and Behavioral Sciences
                                Butte College

                                >________________________________

                              • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 8, 2011
                                  Will,

                                  Your student might find the chapter on the Yoruba Religion in Stephen
                                  Prothero's God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the
                                  World and Why Their Differences Matter.

                                  Good hunting for titles.

                                  Chuck Ellenbaum

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
                                    'Handbook of Native American Mythology' by Bastian and Mitchell (OUP, 2004) may be worth a look. It is like a encyclopedic in nature, mostly focusing on deities, themes, and concepts. Total page count is less than 300, in a 6" x 9" paperback.

                                    Bob

                                    • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                                        Super! This was just in time for me to include it on my powerpoint for Montreal. The session is Wednesday afternoon, but I hope some folks will be there.

                                        Laura, It looks like a terrific line-up for SACCfest!

                                        -- Dianne

[...]
                                        For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                        Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                                      • Laura Gonzalez
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                                          Thanks Dianne! I plan to put out the full official announcement next week,
                                          when the registration forms and hotel links are online. We may have a
                                          surprise speaker, and I am still working on pinning this person down.

                                          I will be there Wednesday, and unless there is some AAA meeting I need to
                                          attend, I will see you at the session… bleary-eyed from my Tuesday night
                                          Red-Eye flight, but there with a grande cappuccino nonetheless!

                                          Laura

                                          _____

[...]

                                          <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                                          are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
                                          destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
                                          knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
                                          malware.

                                        • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011
                                            Everyone coming to Montreal! -- We have lots of discussion time for the "evolutionary ideas" panel. I hope y'all will bring ideas, comments and discussions!

                                            Laura, We'll make sure we get LOTS of coffee!

                                            I look forward to seeing folks.

                                            n Dianne

                                            Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                            <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                            Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>
                                            <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> .

                                            are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
                                            destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
                                            knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
                                            malware.

                                            ----------

                                          • Gilliland, Mary
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 11, 2011

[...]

                                              Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@...<mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                              <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                              Email communications to lloyd.miller@...<mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Nov 14, 2011
                                                M.K.,

                                                We are asked by the AAA to stay on our schedule (paper hopping). So we'll try to keep to the schedule and then have lots of time for discussions. I don't think Autumn has sent her paper to be presented for her.

                                                My cell phone number is 864-386-7200.

                                                I will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn.

                                                Thanks for your participation. I'll see you soon!

                                                Cheers!

                                                Dianne

[...]

                                                Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@... <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                                <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                                Email communications to lloyd.miller@... <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 14, 2011
                                                  I'll time myself but am sure I can stay in lots. My presentation is more an overview of several themes I came across doing this & will flesh out a bit more for Lloyd. Hope that will be ok.

                                                  I think we will honor Ellen if we make sure the paper hoppers can get what they come for. I remember how amazing she was with her tight schedule each day for listening to things of interest.

                                                  See you soon- happy travels.

                                                  Mary Kay
                                                  Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                                                  November on the website at saccweb.net<http://saccweb.net>.
                                                  For more information, visit us at the website or contact President-elect
                                                  Laura Tubelle de González, lagonzal@...<mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu>
                                                  <mailto:lagonzal%40sdccd.edu> .
                                                  Email communications to lloyd.miller@...<mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com> <mailto:lloyd.miller%40mchsi.com>