new publication on the Amazon

  • Patricia Hamlen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2011
      Dear Kent and Fellow SACC Members:
      Yes, this book written my National Geographic writer, Scott Wallace, details the work of Sydney Possuelo, advocate and previous President of FUNAI in Brazil. Responsible for the expulsion of gold prospectors and the demarcation of the Yanomamo territory, he was later fired for expanding native territories at the expense of economic development. The expedition described in this book documents the process of locating where the "People of the Arrow" a remote uncontacted group are living and in how many villages. This work was to be done without contact in order to insure protection and prevent the spreading of disease, a danger well documented.

      I have not finished the book yet, but am pleased to have a current account of Amazonian tribes, other indigenous groups are also mentioned, as so many of the classic ethnographies I read in graduate school are completely out-dated given current economic and social conditions in this region.
      So let me know what you think,
      Pat

      Again, for those of you who are interested: "The Unconquered: In Search of the Amazon's Last Uncontacted Tribes" by Scott Wallace