Re: [SACC-L] Re: SACC Name Change

  • Barry Kass
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011
      Ummm.......if anyone recalls, about a month or so ago I sent out a plea on
      this listserve that we should keep our current title of SACC, and stated
      some reasons why. It's gratifying that I'm now starting to see some
      agreement with my point of view.
      Barry

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 8, 2011
        Barry, your comments inspired my missive; Chuck's and Mark's too. Sorry I didn't give appropriate attribution. Earlier, I wondered whether we so-called "silverbacks" were just a bunch of old-timers trying to resist change. I was somewhat ambivalent about the name change and shared some of my reservations with Laura privately, though generally supported it. However, after reading Virginia's emails to Laura and those of some other AAA section leaders, I realized (as Sherlock Holmes would say) that the game was afoot.

        Lloyd

      • Laura Gonzalez
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 9, 2011
          I think all of us having this discussion on the executive board are only
          interested in increasing the numbers of our section, while continuing to
          grow our resources and networking opportunities.

          Personally, I am not married to the idea of the name change. I just believe
          it would be the best way to increase our numbers while making our name
          accurately represent the section's purpose as stated in our mission and
          by-laws:

          "The purpose of this organization shall be

          a. to stimulate communication and co operation among anthropologists and
          teachers of anthropology in community colleges, four-year colleges,
          universities and pre-collegiate institutions; and

          b. to stimulate instructional, curriculum, and program development in the
          schools and to aid in the improvement of the teaching of anthropology."

          Now that we have identified AAA politics, I believe we can navigate them
          successfully. Nonetheless, all of us on the exec would be happy to hear and
          discuss your workable ideas about positive steps forward to reach more
          community college teachers in addition to or in lieu of a name change.

          You can send your ideas directly to our current president, Mel Johnson at
          majohns1@... or to me (incoming president) at lagonzal@....

          Laura

        • Hare II, William E
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 9, 2011
            I will cast my "vote" to keep our current name intact. Recent economic pressures in our state have forced increases in class enrollment caps making it even more difficult to maintain the quality of instruction that many seek from community colleges (i.e. small classes, direct interaction with professors, more personal assistance, etc.). While I have had limited opportunities to participate in SACC due to budget restraints, the two annual meetings I have attended have been highlights in my career. Furthermore, the sense of connection and support I get from the members has been very important for me as I am the only anthropologist at my school and I often feel isolated (I had to give a presentation to my academic division to explain what anthropology is!)

            I agree that the name change may mean an eventual lost of identity for the community college professors. Better to work on recruitment with our current name and mission than to risk extinction through AAA politics.

            Will

            William E Hare II
            Associate Professor of Anthropology

[...]

          • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 10, 2011
              Reading the comments from folks I highly respect within SACC and
              reading much of the same AAA crap we got in the 70s and 80s as we were
              ranked at the bottom of the food chain, I believe we should keep our
              name and full speed ahead to work on getting new members. Would it
              help SACC if people like me who couldn't wait to get out of AAA
              rejoined AAA and had SACC as our section? It is a cheap price to pay
              to maintain our identity. There are some very good people in the AAA,
              but for me, its institutional persona has been somewhat rancid. Let
              us continue to run our wonderful SACC with its welcoming friendliness
              and not worry about the rest of the AAA.

              Chuck

            • Lynch, Brian M
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 11, 2011
                Hope everyone has read about the Gov. of Florida, and his comments about
                how the State doesn't need anthropologists. How ill informed! The AAA
                has quickly replied.

                Brian
              • kent morris
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 11, 2011
                  not to stereotype, but Republicans can be pretty stupid in that regard...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 11, 2011
                    Thanks for this, Brian; I hadn't heard. I read the Miami Herald's report and Virginia's response, then submitted the following comment to the Herald:

                    Miami Herald Florida Wires
                    Dear Editor,
                    Regarding your AP article, �State doesn�t need more anthropologists,� (Oct 11, 2011): In questioning anthropology�s worth in the job market, Governor Scott overlooks its considerable value as an integral component of a college liberal arts education.
                    The study of anthropology can broaden citizens� understanding of the human species: who we are, where we came from and how we got here. It also increases our abilities to understand complex social and political issues globally, and to participate more wisely in democratic processes.
                    Anthropology includes the first 99 percent of human history, from the beginnings of the Primate Order some 65 million years ago through the origins, evolution, and rise of our species. It studies in detail the nature of world cultures, past and present, from tribal societies to civilizations. Its studies of family and kinship include all kinds, not just those of mainstream US. These are but a few of the unique contributions anthropology makes to the intellectual arsenal of educated American citizens.
                    For a more detailed discussion of this topic, see my commentary �Of What Value is Anthropology?� in the fall 2011 issue of Teaching Anthropology: SACC Notes, available to the public at saccweb.net (website of the Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges).
                    Sincerely,
                    Lloyd Miller, Editor, Teaching Anthropology: SACC Notes
                    650 48th St.
                    Des Moines, IA 50312
                    ( 515) 255-0975

                    On Oct 11, 2011, at 3:26 PM, Lynch, Brian M wrote:

                    > Hope everyone has read about the Gov. of Florida, and his comments about
                    > how the State doesn't need anthropologists. How ill informed! The AAA
                    > has quickly replied.
                    >
                    > Brian

                  • Andrew Petto
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 11, 2011
                      This is good, Lloyd, but I have been searching (admittedly without
                      much luck) for specifics of Scott's actual programs and plans. So far
                      all I can see is what he is against and what he has eliminated.

                      I suspect, however, that for things like the toll roads plan in the
                      piece posted here by Jason, we could point to every one of his projects
                      (if we could find them), and say, "Yup, anthropologists have something
                      to do with that!"

                      For example, for all the engineers and mathematicians that he hopes to
                      create, the "human factors" that we must project in order to build
                      something that people will use to its fullest extent is an area of
                      expertise that anthropologists have. It is whom engineering and
                      industrial design firms hire to do this work and it is who trains the
                      staff in these engineering and design firms to understand and
                      incorporate these "human factors" in their models.

                      Something like that.

                      I think I can make this work with the toll road example, but it would be
                      good if there were, say, a top-10 list of things that Rick Scott wants
                      to do that relies on expertise that anthropologists have.

                      Anj

                      On 10/11/2011 17:53, Lloyd Miller wrote:
                      > Thanks for this, Brian; I hadn't heard. I read the Miami Herald's report and Virginia's response, then submitted the following comment to the Herald:
                      >
                      > Miami Herald Florida Wires
                      > Dear Editor,
                      > Regarding your AP article, "State doesn't need more anthropologists," (Oct 11, 2011): In questioning anthropology's worth in the job market, Governor Scott overlooks its considerable value as an integral component of a college liberal arts education.
                      > The study of anthropology can broaden citizens' understanding of the human species: who we are, where we came from and how we got here. It also increases our abilities to understand complex social and political issues globally, and to participate more wisely in democratic processes.
                      > Anthropology includes the first 99 percent of human history, from the beginnings of the Primate Order some 65 million years ago through the origins, evolution, and rise of our species. It studies in detail the nature of world cultures, past and present, from tribal societies to civilizations. Its studies of family and kinship include all kinds, not just those of mainstream US. These are but a few of the unique contributions anthropology makes to the intellectual arsenal of educated American citizens.
                      > For a more detailed discussion of this topic, see my commentary "Of What Value is Anthropology?" in the fall 2011 issue of Teaching Anthropology: SACC Notes, available to the public at saccweb.net (website of the Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges).
                      > Sincerely,
                      > Lloyd Miller, Editor, Teaching Anthropology: SACC Notes
                      > 650 48th St.
                      > Des Moines, IA 50312
                      > ( 515) 255-0975
                      >

                      > On Oct 11, 2011, at 3:26 PM, Lynch, Brian M wrote:
                      >
                      >> Hope everyone has read about the Gov. of Florida, and his comments about
                      >> how the State doesn't need anthropologists. How ill informed! The AAA
                      >> has quickly replied.
                      >>
                      >> Brian

                      Andrew J Petto, PhD
                      Senior Lecturer