Leadership Positions within AAA

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 6, 2011
      The AAA has a number of openings for leadership positions and they are looking for "active and committed" individuals to apply for positions. If you've ever wanted to have a greater voice in the AAA this is a great chance.

      Here's a link to the existing vacancies<http://www.aaanet.org/about/Elections/nom_positions.cfm> and to the nominee form<http://www.aaanet.org/customcf/nominations/forms/nom_form1.cfm> and supporter form<http://www.aaanet.org/customcf/nominations/forms/support_form1.cfm> for your use.
    • Barry Kass
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 10, 2011
        Hi Laura,
        I have submitted my name as a nominee for one of the undesignated
        seats on the AAA Executive Board for the upcoming elections. I served on
        the Exec board of the AAA previously from 1998-1999, the same year I was
        President of SACC. I believe that I was an effective spokesperson for
        anthropologists at two-year colleges and small depts. of anthropology, and
        would like to give it another try. My self-nomination has to go before the
        AAA nominations committee, etc. but if I do make the ballot, vote for me! I
        will end all corruption and greed within the US, and the AAA in particular.
        Regards,
        Barry Kass

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 10, 2011
          End all corruption and greed? Barry, you got my vote! :)
          Lloyd

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 10, 2011
            Barry and Laura:
            Barry, I am now at the end of my first year of a 3 year term for the AAA
            Task Force on Anthropology Education, (appointed by the President and
            serving under the Executive Committee to produce an Action Plan for our
            Charges. The Charges are focused on raising the knowledge base and
            priorities concerning the following areas of teaching anthropology: K-12,
            Two-Year colleges, Public educational outreach programs in museums and other
            public centers. The appointees have all been serving these target groups. I
            would ask, Barry, that you share this work with me first informally, get up
            to speed on our work as well as let me know what I am doing right or wrong
            so I avoid problems over this next year, and then I would recommend that you
            be appointed to replace me in my third year so that we would have continuity
            for the Task Force and for our SACC constituents. This process may be needed
            quicker than that if I continue to deteriorate, but we will review that
            situation over the course of the year, and I would really like to have a
            partner like you to work with if that would be agreeable for you and with
            Laura.
            > I have submitted my name as a nominee for one of the undesignated
            > seats on the AAA Executive Board for the upcoming elections. I served on
            > the Exec board of the AAA previously from 1998-1999, the same year I was
            > President of SACC. I believe that I was an effective spokesperson for
            > anthropologists at two-year colleges and small depts. of anthropology, and
            > would like to give it another try. My self-nomination has to go before
            > the
            > AAA nominations committee, etc. but if I do make the ballot, vote for me!
            > will end all corruption and greed within the US, and the AAA in
            > particular.
            > Regards,
            > Barry Kass
            >
            > On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 10:17 PM, lauratgonzalez <ltgonzalez@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> The AAA has a number of openings for leadership positions and they are
            >> looking for "active and committed" individuals to apply for positions. If
            >> you've ever wanted to have a greater voice in the AAA this is a great
            >> chance.
            >>
            >> Here's a link to the existing vacancies<
            >> http://www.aaanet.org/about/Elections/nom_positions.cfm> and to the
            >> nominee form<
            >> http://www.aaanet.org/customcf/nominations/forms/nom_form1.cfm> and
            >> supporter form<
            >> http://www.aaanet.org/customcf/nominations/forms/support_form1.cfm> for
            >> your use.

          • Philip Stein
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 10, 2011
              Where do you stand on the evils of teaching evolution to our youth?

              End all corruption and greed? Barry, you got my vote! :)
              Lloyd

              On Oct 10, 2011, at 10:01 AM, Barry Kass wrote:

              > Hi Laura,
              > I have submitted my name as a nominee for one of the undesignated
              > seats on the AAA Executive Board for the upcoming elections. I served on
              > the Exec board of the AAA previously from 1998-1999, the same year I was
              > President of SACC. I believe that I was an effective spokesperson for
              > anthropologists at two-year colleges and small depts. of anthropology, and
              > would like to give it another try. My self-nomination has to go before the
              > AAA nominations committee, etc. but if I do make the ballot, vote for me! I
              > will end all corruption and greed within the US, and the AAA in particular.
              > Regards,
              > Barry Kass
              >
              > On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 10:17 PM, lauratgonzalez <ltgonzalez@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> The AAA has a number of openings for leadership positions and they are
              >> looking for "active and committed" individuals to apply for positions. If
              >> you've ever wanted to have a greater voice in the AAA this is a great
              >> chance.
              >>
              >> Here's a link to the existing vacancies<
              >> http://www.aaanet.org/about/Elections/nom_positions.cfm> and to the
              >> nominee form<
              >> http://www.aaanet.org/customcf/nominations/forms/nom_form1.cfm> and
              >> supporter form<
              >> http://www.aaanet.org/customcf/nominations/forms/support_form1.cfm> for
              >> your use.

            • Barry Kass
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 10, 2011
                Are you referring to me? If so, I stand on solid ground.

                On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Philip Stein <stein39@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Where do you stand on the evils of teaching evolution to our youth?

              • Laura Gonzalez
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 10, 2011
                  Barry,

                  That's terrific. Thank you for walking the walk as a representative of
                  community college and small department faculty. We will make sure that
                  everyone votes for you. Down with corruption and greed! How about GMOs...
                  can you work on that too?

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 10, 2011
                    Oh em gee! Let us hope that it is not done, but if it is, let us hope that it does not become known! (Sound familiar?)
                    Lloyd

                    On Oct 10, 2011, at 3:19 PM, Philip Stein wrote:

                    > Where do you stand on the evils of teaching evolution to our youth?

                  • Barry Kass
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 11, 2011
                      Hi Mark,
                      Thank you for the honor of asking me to follow you on the AAA Task Force
                      on Anthropology Education. I value your opinion highly. Let me see first,
                      though, if I actually get on the Exec Board of the AAA, and then we can
                      weigh options.
                      But more importantly, I am concerned by what you wrote that "if I
                      continue to deteriorate..." I don't know what you mean by this. Are you in
                      ill health? I hope not. I really hope that all is well with you, Sally,
                      and your family. Let me know what's going on.
                      Barry