FW: JOB OPENING: Curator of Archaeology/Ethnology, New Jersey State Museum

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2011
      From: Pickering, Felicia
      Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 9:29 AM
      To: NMNH-Anthro-All
      Subject: JOB OPENING: Curator of Archaeology/Ethnology, New Jersey State Museum

      Job Opening
      Curator of Archaeology/Ethnology
      New Jersey State Museum

      The New Jersey State Museum seeks a Curator of Archaeology/Ethnology. The Curator is responsible for the Archaeology/Ethnology bureau and its collections; initiates, conducts and supervises prehistoric archaeological research in the State of New Jersey; locates and evaluates archaeological sites for study and preservation; initiates, prepares and supervises interpretive, exhibits, programs and publications in Archaeology/Ethnology for other professionals, students and the public; provides expertise in object identification, program planning and information gathering and distribution; performs related work as required.

      Requirements - Experience: Five (5) years of professional archaeological field and laboratory experience, one (1) year of which shall have been in the pre-historic archaeology of the Northeastern portion of the United States. Two (2) of the five (5) years of experience shall have been in the supervision of employees in various phases of archaeology/ethnology records and three (3) years of curatorial responsibilities for a major museum. Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree, supplemented by a Master's degree in Archaeology, Anthropology or Ethnology. A Doctorate (PhD) degree in any of the above subject areas may be substituted for the above education. License: Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position. Residency: New Jersey Residency required. If you do not reside in New Jersey, you have one year after the date you begin employment to relocate your residence to New Jersey. Salary: $75,673.05 - $107,990.52

      Applicants should submit a letter and resume by October 21, 2011 to:
      Anthony Gardner, Executive Director
      New Jersey State Museum
      P.O. Box 530
      Trenton, NJ 08625-0530

      New Jersey Department of State is an EEO/AA Employer

    • Lynch, Brian M
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2011
        Every so often a student will come along - even at our small community
        college-who has a burning interest in cultural anthro. One just came to
        my office, recently back for a visit after having completed her BA, and
        is now looking for guidance on possible further directions in which to
        head. She is very adept at learning languages via immersion
        (understands German, Italian, and Spanish; speaks Spanish; and is
        interested in learning other languages). Her AA and her BA are in fine
        arts, with much work in photography, sculpture, and painting. She says
        she wants to take what amounts to a generalist approach to
        cross-cultural study, and is looking for words of wisdom, including
        people she might speak to, for insight into possible options for Masters
        study. I told her I'd put a word out and let her know what I hear, for
        initial contacts. Any suggestions would be welcome!

        Brian

        ,_._,___