RE: [SACC-L] Montreal Hotels

  • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 13, 2011
      Their website lists the price as about $229/night. (That's out of my
      budget even with school help!)--Dianne

      From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
      Behalf
      Of Kaupp, Ann
      Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:23 PM
      To: 'SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:%27SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> '

      Yes, it was the Queen Elizabeth and suppose to be around 9 blocks from
      the convention center.

      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 13, 2011
        Bob, is the Hilton Garden-Inn reasonable close to the convention centre? the price there is $149...

        380 Sherbrooke St. West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 0B1
        Tel: 1-514-840-0010 Fax: 1-514-844-6433

        ----------

      • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 14, 2011
          Mapquest says it's about .43 driving miles. It looks like it might even
          be shorter walking distance. -- Dianne

          I think the hotel used for the 2004 SACC meeting in Montreal was the
          Queen Elizabeth. It is within walking distance to the convention center,
          but it wasn't necessarily a real short walk. While SACC was meeting, the
          Society for American Archaeology (SAA) was meeting in Montreal at the
          same time, and Phil arranged for SACC members to attend the SAA meetings
          at the convention meetings for free! I made the walk over multiple
          times. Remember though, Montreal in November may not be great,
          weather-wise.

          Bob

          >>> <dianne.chidester@... <mailto:dianne.chidester%40gvltec.edu>
          > 9/13/2011 9:09 AM >>>
          I just got word that my school is going to give me some travel support
          for the AAA. Yippee!

          Does anyone remember the name of the hotel we stayed in when Phil
          Naftaly organized the meetings? Is it near the conference center? (I
          guess I can mapquest to find that out.)

          See you in Montreal!

          Dianne

          Dianne Lynn Chidester, Assistant Professor

          Anthropology & Sociology

          Greenville Technical College

          P.O. Box 5616 MS 1042

          Greenville, SC 29607

          864-250-8729

          "You've got to be taught to hate and fear

          You've got to be taught from year to year

          It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear

          You've got to be carefully taught"

          --Rodgers & Hammerstein South Pacific

          ----------

          reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. To the best
          of our ability and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is
          free of viruses and malware.

          ----------

        • Nikki Ives
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 14, 2011
            Just an FYI - Google maps has walking directions.

            Nikki

            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 14, 2011
              Thanks! It says it’s about an 8 minute walk from the Hilton Garden Inn. -- Dianne

              Just an FYI - Google maps has walking directions.

              Nikki

              >________________________________

            • Hare II, William E
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                Hi Everyone,

                I have potential opportunity to adopt one of our college's courtyards to
                use as a sort of anthropology lab space. The spaces have become overrun
                with weeds due to our woefully short-handed maintenance staff. I have a
                meeting with the "powers that be" to brainstorm how we can make the
                spaces attractive but also more useful for educational purposes.

                Here are a couple of ideas that I have come up with:

                1. Create sustainable gardens that students work in to learn about
                subsistence horticulture.

                2. Create an archaeological site that my Intro to Anth students
                could excavate each fall. The Intro to Cultural Anth would create and
                bury the artifacts in the spring.

                3. Create gardens of heirloom varieties to make lessons about GMOs
                more interesting.

                I welcome any other suggestions or advice you might have. I don't know
                for sure how much the administration will actually let me do, but they
                are at least open to discussion. One caveat is that the courtyards
                have permanent tables and chairs installed throughout the space and the
                courtyards will be open to the public.

                Thanks,

                Will

                William Hare

                Associate Professor of Anthropology

                Three Rivers Community College

              • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                  Will,

                  Another option could be an American Indian garden. I know the gardens
                  at Sunwatch Village in Ohio were recreated by Gail Wagner (U South
                  Carolina).

                  You might also have a Master Gardener program through the Agriculture
                  Extension Service and they might help. Also check for Native Plant
                  Societies in your area. They are a huge help. (I've been trying to put
                  all native plants in my yard.)

                  Cheers!

                  Dianne

                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                    You could actually combine 1 & 2: do the horticultural bit, but then
                    treat is as an experimental archeology lab, too. Have students who have
                    not participated in the gardening try to infer the practices based on
                    the "data" that the gardeners left behind.

                    How big is the area? Is there any chance that it will produce enough
                    produce for you to have a presence in your campus's "multicultural"
                    programming? Say, if you only grow plants indigenous to the region as
                    cultivated by the area's original inhabitants?

                    As far as GMOs are concerned, there is one caveat: research into
                    genomics is blurring the genetic lines among species and lineages. Even
                    though we are jumping ahead in the line when we insert specific genes
                    into organisms to produce food or disease resistance, remember that this
                    sort of genetic change is exactly what we are doing when we breed
                    organisms selectively for these traits; or graft plants; or produce
                    hybrid plants and animals; or treat these organisms with substances that
                    alter the expression of genes ---- all standard, traditional,
                    "conservative" practices that have essentially the same results (think
                    of the "green revolution" in the mid 20th century that created more
                    productive grain crops by genetic alterations). Furthermore, each round
                    of infection by some bacterium or virus seems to leave traces inserted
                    into the genome in precisely the same way as GMO production does.

                    I can see no essential difference in the intentions of the people doing
                    this; the only real question is whether the action may produce
                    unintended consequences (it almost certain does, since even the
                    "old-fashioned" way of changing the genome has these consequences) and
                    to what effect they are harmful (or more harmful doing it one way than
                    the other).

                    The main issue is how rapidly the change appears and spreads through a
                    population. Of course, in GMOs we get the result we want (specific
                    differences in the genome) more quickly, but so far, the evidence is
                    that it spreads among native populations (during an accidental release)
                    in the same way and at about the same pace as other genetic changes. I
                    think good examples of how we might expect an accidentally released GMO
                    to change native populations can be found in the history of Gypsy moth
                    caterpillars and so-called "Africanized bees. And now there has been an
                    accidental release in Mexico (a few years back) of a GMO corn variety;
                    have not heard anything about that, so I suspect that dire warnings were
                    not realized ... but will go back and try to find out.

                    I think it is worth exploring the issue of people's reactions to GMO;
                    the best thing we can say about them is that there is insufficient
                    evidence to conclude and one might want to err on the side of
                    precaution. But---as with evolution and climate change---the real
                    objections seem to be sociocultural and political and not scientific. We
                    are worried (with good cause) about hubris; we are concerned that these
                    actions are to anthropocentric and may cause harm to the environment
                    (but of course, there are lots of other things that we do that could not
                    stand that sort of scrutiny); we worry that we are "playing God" and
                    acting immorally or unethically --- It's not nice to fool Mother
                    Nature!; and so on.

                    I think a great case study here would be the so-called "Green
                    Revolution" beginning with Borlaug's work in the 40s. I would present
                    the issues of feeding the world, and the goal and the outcomes of the
                    research in the case, but without the technical details of how the
                    genetic change was brought about. Then ask students to gather data and
                    evidence to evaluate the appropriateness of that program.

                    I think you will recognize a sea change in the attitudes toward this
                    sort of scientific manipulation (remember "Better living through
                    chemistry"?) in comparing the 40s-70s with the 80s-2000s about genetic
                    alteration in crops (and this reflects a technologic change more than a
                    change in the programs to alter the genes of organisms). You will also
                    probably find a deep divide in students' acceptance of the genetic
                    alteration between the more tradition (cross breeding) approach common
                    in the 40s compared to the DNA insertion/deletion/inactivation
                    techniques in the 80s and 90s (which, BTW, is also how we make a lot of
                    our vaccines!).

                    Just thinking out loud!

                    Anj

                    On 9/16/2011 08:24, Hare II, William E wrote:

                    > Hi Everyone,
                    >
                    > I have potential opportunity to adopt one of our college's courtyards to
                    > use as a sort of anthropology lab space. The spaces have become overrun
                    > with weeds due to our woefully short-handed maintenance staff. I have a
                    > meeting with the "powers that be" to brainstorm how we can make the
                    > spaces attractive but also more useful for educational purposes.
                    >
                    > Here are a couple of ideas that I have come up with:
                    >
                    > 1. Create sustainable gardens that students work in to learn about
                    > subsistence horticulture.
                    >
                    > 2. Create an archaeological site that my Intro to Anth students
                    > could excavate each fall. The Intro to Cultural Anth would create and
                    > bury the artifacts in the spring.
                    >
                    > 3. Create gardens of heirloom varieties to make lessons about GMOs
                    > more interesting.
                    >
                    > I welcome any other suggestions or advice you might have. I don't know
                    > for sure how much the administration will actually let me do, but they
                    > are at least open to discussion. One caveat is that the courtyards
                    > have permanent tables and chairs installed throughout the space and the
                    > courtyards will be open to the public.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Will
                    >
                    > William Hare
                    >
                    > Associate Professor of Anthropology
                    >
                    > Three Rivers Community College

                    -----------------------------
                    Andrew J Petto, PhD
                    Senior Lecturer
                    Department of Biological Sciences
                    University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                    PO Box 413
                    Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                    CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                    Telephone: 414-229-6784
                    FAX: 414-229-3926

                  • Hare II, William E
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                      Wow! That is a lot of thinking out loud.

                      I have a couple of objectives with this potential project:

                      1. Get out courtyards to look less like abandoned city lots.

                      2. Get my students to learn something about anthropology through
                      hands-on learning.

                      If I can find a diagram of what the layouts look like I will send them
                      to interested parties to make suggestions. Off the cuff I can tell you
                      that there are walkways dividing each courtyard into 3-4 plots that can
                      be used. I am only willing to take on the responsibility of one
                      courtyard.

                      Thanks,

                      Will

                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                        Hi Dianne,

                        Great ideas and ones I will add to the potential list. We are located
                        near the Mohegan and Pequot Tribal nations so a Native American garden
                        might make sense. I have also given thoughts to having a number of
                        smaller plots representing different indigenous cultures (albeit
                        governed by our New England climate).

                        We have an active Extension Service program in CT, so they might be able
                        to take on one of the other courtyards.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                          Yeah, so you could rotate the use of the divisions so that each plot is
                          something else: different crops, different practices, and a couple of
                          fallow plot were your experimental arch'y could go on.

                          Are you in a location with a decent growing season that will overlap
                          with classes?

                          Anj

                          -----------------------------
                          Andrew J Petto, PhD
                          Senior Lecturer
                          Department of Biological Sciences
                          University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                          PO Box 413
                          Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                          CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                          Telephone: 414-229-6784
                          FAX: 414-229-3926

                        • Laura Gonzalez
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                            Will,

                            This is really exciting! To be given a space, and carte blanche.very cool!

                            At my college, I developed a garden with raised beds (easier to take care
                            of, amend soil, etc.). We use it as a community garden, in which different
                            campus groups apply to care for a bed throughout the growing season. The
                            Anthro bed is cared for by my Honors students, who are surprised to learn
                            they will be turning compost as part of their Honors curriculum. In our
                            current food and agricultural crisis, I can't think of a more appropriate
                            thing for them to be doing!

                            You might consider themed beds - a Three Sisters Garden (Southwest Indians -
                            corn, beans and squash - there is a lot of literature on these); regional
                            gardens, in which you showcase produce from different regions - and then you
                            can water accordingly by bed, i.e. tropical regions require more water, arid
                            regions require less; or heirloom fruit and vegetables. Any or all of these
                            can be rich learning experiences.

                            Get in touch with me off list of you want to chat more about gardens!

                            Laura

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                              Here is a link to Gail Wagner's web page. She has been doing research
                              about lack of interaction with the natural environment and her students
                              have done some interesting research.

                              http://www.cas.sc.edu/anth/Faculty/WAGNERG/Wagner.html

                              Cheers!

                              Dianne

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                                Check out the Urban Harvest program site.
                                http://www.urbanharvest.org/

                                The program was initiated by an anthropologist (Bob Randall) a number
                                of years ago here in Houston. It has grown and grown.. and as Laura
                                says, this
                                really is an important movement to encourage!

                                There are over 100 community gardens, numerous farmers markets every
                                week, classes for gardeners, etc. It is great.

                                (We grow lots of fruit / vegetables in our small city garden.
                                However, I love the idea of a native american garden.. )

                                ann

                              • Anthropmor
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 17, 2011
                                  there are many things you could do- I love Anjs' experimental plot- -
                                  although clearing it could be actual excavation.
                                  There are many styles of garden that could be done- Pacific Taro
                                  plot, manioc, multiple Bolivian potatos, Medieval Monks Herb, - check
                                  out Tom Turners "Garden History" book for many idea and ways to lay out
                                  the plots.
                                  Mike Pavlik

                                  Yeah, so you could rotate the use of the divisions so that each plot is
                                  something else: different crops, different practices, and a couple of
                                  fallow plot were your experimental arch'y could go on.

                                  Are you in a location with a decent growing season that will overlap
                                  with classes?

                                  Anj

                                  On 9/16/2011 09:24, Hare II, William E wrote:

                                  > Wow! That is a lot of thinking out loud.
                                  >
                                  > I have a couple of objectives with this potential project:
                                  >
                                  > 1. Get out courtyards to look less like abandoned city lots.
                                  >
                                  > 2. Get my students to learn something about anthropology through
                                  > hands-on learning.
                                  >
                                  > If I can find a diagram of what the layouts look like I will send them
                                  > to interested parties to make suggestions. Off the cuff I can tell you
                                  > that there are walkways dividing each courtyard into 3-4 plots that
                                  can
                                  > be used. I am only willing to take on the responsibility of one
                                  > courtyard.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Will
                                  >
                                  > From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>;

                                • Frank Lagana
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 17, 2011
                                    Some sort of composting would be a nice addition to your plot (assuming the administration doesn't object). Have students bring in their food waste and they can see it being transformed into good old dirt.

                                    Frank

                                    Sent from my iPhone