RE: [SACC-L] Montreal Hotels

  • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 13, 2011
      Lloyd, Sorry to hear you won't be in Montreal. I'll miss those drinks
      and conversations.

      Maybe we should choose a SACC hotel!

      --Dianne

      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 13, 2011
        Mapquest says the Queen Elizabeth is .95 miles (driving) from the
        convention center.

        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 13, 2011
          Their website lists the price as about $229/night. (That's out of my
          budget even with school help!)--Dianne

          From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
          Behalf
          Of Kaupp, Ann
          Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:23 PM
          To: 'SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:%27SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> '

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 13, 2011
            Bob, is the Hilton Garden-Inn reasonable close to the convention centre? the price there is $149...

            380 Sherbrooke St. West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 0B1
            Tel: 1-514-840-0010 Fax: 1-514-844-6433

            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 14, 2011
              Mapquest says it's about .43 driving miles. It looks like it might even
              be shorter walking distance. -- Dianne

              I think the hotel used for the 2004 SACC meeting in Montreal was the
              Queen Elizabeth. It is within walking distance to the convention center,
              but it wasn't necessarily a real short walk. While SACC was meeting, the
              Society for American Archaeology (SAA) was meeting in Montreal at the
              same time, and Phil arranged for SACC members to attend the SAA meetings
              at the convention meetings for free! I made the walk over multiple
              times. Remember though, Montreal in November may not be great,
              weather-wise.

              Bob

              >>> <dianne.chidester@... <mailto:dianne.chidester%40gvltec.edu>
              > 9/13/2011 9:09 AM >>>
              I just got word that my school is going to give me some travel support
              for the AAA. Yippee!

              Does anyone remember the name of the hotel we stayed in when Phil
              Naftaly organized the meetings? Is it near the conference center? (I
              guess I can mapquest to find that out.)

              See you in Montreal!

              Dianne

              Dianne Lynn Chidester, Assistant Professor

              Anthropology & Sociology

              Greenville Technical College

              P.O. Box 5616 MS 1042

              Greenville, SC 29607

              864-250-8729

              "You've got to be taught to hate and fear

              You've got to be taught from year to year

              It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear

              You've got to be carefully taught"

              --Rodgers & Hammerstein South Pacific

              ----------

              reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. To the best
              of our ability and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is
              free of viruses and malware.

              ----------

            • Nikki Ives
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 14, 2011
                Just an FYI - Google maps has walking directions.

                Nikki

                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 14, 2011
                  Thanks! It says it’s about an 8 minute walk from the Hilton Garden Inn. -- Dianne

                  Just an FYI - Google maps has walking directions.

                  Nikki

                  >________________________________

                • Hare II, William E
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                    Hi Everyone,

                    I have potential opportunity to adopt one of our college's courtyards to
                    use as a sort of anthropology lab space. The spaces have become overrun
                    with weeds due to our woefully short-handed maintenance staff. I have a
                    meeting with the "powers that be" to brainstorm how we can make the
                    spaces attractive but also more useful for educational purposes.

                    Here are a couple of ideas that I have come up with:

                    1. Create sustainable gardens that students work in to learn about
                    subsistence horticulture.

                    2. Create an archaeological site that my Intro to Anth students
                    could excavate each fall. The Intro to Cultural Anth would create and
                    bury the artifacts in the spring.

                    3. Create gardens of heirloom varieties to make lessons about GMOs
                    more interesting.

                    I welcome any other suggestions or advice you might have. I don't know
                    for sure how much the administration will actually let me do, but they
                    are at least open to discussion. One caveat is that the courtyards
                    have permanent tables and chairs installed throughout the space and the
                    courtyards will be open to the public.

                    Thanks,

                    Will

                    William Hare

                    Associate Professor of Anthropology

                    Three Rivers Community College

                  • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                      Will,

                      Another option could be an American Indian garden. I know the gardens
                      at Sunwatch Village in Ohio were recreated by Gail Wagner (U South
                      Carolina).

                      You might also have a Master Gardener program through the Agriculture
                      Extension Service and they might help. Also check for Native Plant
                      Societies in your area. They are a huge help. (I've been trying to put
                      all native plants in my yard.)

                      Cheers!

                      Dianne

                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                        You could actually combine 1 & 2: do the horticultural bit, but then
                        treat is as an experimental archeology lab, too. Have students who have
                        not participated in the gardening try to infer the practices based on
                        the "data" that the gardeners left behind.

                        How big is the area? Is there any chance that it will produce enough
                        produce for you to have a presence in your campus's "multicultural"
                        programming? Say, if you only grow plants indigenous to the region as
                        cultivated by the area's original inhabitants?

                        As far as GMOs are concerned, there is one caveat: research into
                        genomics is blurring the genetic lines among species and lineages. Even
                        though we are jumping ahead in the line when we insert specific genes
                        into organisms to produce food or disease resistance, remember that this
                        sort of genetic change is exactly what we are doing when we breed
                        organisms selectively for these traits; or graft plants; or produce
                        hybrid plants and animals; or treat these organisms with substances that
                        alter the expression of genes ---- all standard, traditional,
                        "conservative" practices that have essentially the same results (think
                        of the "green revolution" in the mid 20th century that created more
                        productive grain crops by genetic alterations). Furthermore, each round
                        of infection by some bacterium or virus seems to leave traces inserted
                        into the genome in precisely the same way as GMO production does.

                        I can see no essential difference in the intentions of the people doing
                        this; the only real question is whether the action may produce
                        unintended consequences (it almost certain does, since even the
                        "old-fashioned" way of changing the genome has these consequences) and
                        to what effect they are harmful (or more harmful doing it one way than
                        the other).

                        The main issue is how rapidly the change appears and spreads through a
                        population. Of course, in GMOs we get the result we want (specific
                        differences in the genome) more quickly, but so far, the evidence is
                        that it spreads among native populations (during an accidental release)
                        in the same way and at about the same pace as other genetic changes. I
                        think good examples of how we might expect an accidentally released GMO
                        to change native populations can be found in the history of Gypsy moth
                        caterpillars and so-called "Africanized bees. And now there has been an
                        accidental release in Mexico (a few years back) of a GMO corn variety;
                        have not heard anything about that, so I suspect that dire warnings were
                        not realized ... but will go back and try to find out.

                        I think it is worth exploring the issue of people's reactions to GMO;
                        the best thing we can say about them is that there is insufficient
                        evidence to conclude and one might want to err on the side of
                        precaution. But---as with evolution and climate change---the real
                        objections seem to be sociocultural and political and not scientific. We
                        are worried (with good cause) about hubris; we are concerned that these
                        actions are to anthropocentric and may cause harm to the environment
                        (but of course, there are lots of other things that we do that could not
                        stand that sort of scrutiny); we worry that we are "playing God" and
                        acting immorally or unethically --- It's not nice to fool Mother
                        Nature!; and so on.

                        I think a great case study here would be the so-called "Green
                        Revolution" beginning with Borlaug's work in the 40s. I would present
                        the issues of feeding the world, and the goal and the outcomes of the
                        research in the case, but without the technical details of how the
                        genetic change was brought about. Then ask students to gather data and
                        evidence to evaluate the appropriateness of that program.

                        I think you will recognize a sea change in the attitudes toward this
                        sort of scientific manipulation (remember "Better living through
                        chemistry"?) in comparing the 40s-70s with the 80s-2000s about genetic
                        alteration in crops (and this reflects a technologic change more than a
                        change in the programs to alter the genes of organisms). You will also
                        probably find a deep divide in students' acceptance of the genetic
                        alteration between the more tradition (cross breeding) approach common
                        in the 40s compared to the DNA insertion/deletion/inactivation
                        techniques in the 80s and 90s (which, BTW, is also how we make a lot of
                        our vaccines!).

                        Just thinking out loud!

                        Anj

                        On 9/16/2011 08:24, Hare II, William E wrote:

                        > Hi Everyone,
                        >
                        > I have potential opportunity to adopt one of our college's courtyards to
                        > use as a sort of anthropology lab space. The spaces have become overrun
                        > with weeds due to our woefully short-handed maintenance staff. I have a
                        > meeting with the "powers that be" to brainstorm how we can make the
                        > spaces attractive but also more useful for educational purposes.
                        >
                        > Here are a couple of ideas that I have come up with:
                        >
                        > 1. Create sustainable gardens that students work in to learn about
                        > subsistence horticulture.
                        >
                        > 2. Create an archaeological site that my Intro to Anth students
                        > could excavate each fall. The Intro to Cultural Anth would create and
                        > bury the artifacts in the spring.
                        >
                        > 3. Create gardens of heirloom varieties to make lessons about GMOs
                        > more interesting.
                        >
                        > I welcome any other suggestions or advice you might have. I don't know
                        > for sure how much the administration will actually let me do, but they
                        > are at least open to discussion. One caveat is that the courtyards
                        > have permanent tables and chairs installed throughout the space and the
                        > courtyards will be open to the public.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Will
                        >
                        > William Hare
                        >
                        > Associate Professor of Anthropology
                        >
                        > Three Rivers Community College

                        -----------------------------
                        Andrew J Petto, PhD
                        Senior Lecturer
                        Department of Biological Sciences
                        University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                        PO Box 413
                        Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                        CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                        Telephone: 414-229-6784
                        FAX: 414-229-3926

                      • Hare II, William E
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                          Wow! That is a lot of thinking out loud.

                          I have a couple of objectives with this potential project:

                          1. Get out courtyards to look less like abandoned city lots.

                          2. Get my students to learn something about anthropology through
                          hands-on learning.

                          If I can find a diagram of what the layouts look like I will send them
                          to interested parties to make suggestions. Off the cuff I can tell you
                          that there are walkways dividing each courtyard into 3-4 plots that can
                          be used. I am only willing to take on the responsibility of one
                          courtyard.

                          Thanks,

                          Will

                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                            Hi Dianne,

                            Great ideas and ones I will add to the potential list. We are located
                            near the Mohegan and Pequot Tribal nations so a Native American garden
                            might make sense. I have also given thoughts to having a number of
                            smaller plots representing different indigenous cultures (albeit
                            governed by our New England climate).

                            We have an active Extension Service program in CT, so they might be able
                            to take on one of the other courtyards.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                              Yeah, so you could rotate the use of the divisions so that each plot is
                              something else: different crops, different practices, and a couple of
                              fallow plot were your experimental arch'y could go on.

                              Are you in a location with a decent growing season that will overlap
                              with classes?

                              Anj

                              -----------------------------
                              Andrew J Petto, PhD
                              Senior Lecturer
                              Department of Biological Sciences
                              University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                              PO Box 413
                              Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                              CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                              Telephone: 414-229-6784
                              FAX: 414-229-3926

                            • Laura Gonzalez
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                                Will,

                                This is really exciting! To be given a space, and carte blanche.very cool!

                                At my college, I developed a garden with raised beds (easier to take care
                                of, amend soil, etc.). We use it as a community garden, in which different
                                campus groups apply to care for a bed throughout the growing season. The
                                Anthro bed is cared for by my Honors students, who are surprised to learn
                                they will be turning compost as part of their Honors curriculum. In our
                                current food and agricultural crisis, I can't think of a more appropriate
                                thing for them to be doing!

                                You might consider themed beds - a Three Sisters Garden (Southwest Indians -
                                corn, beans and squash - there is a lot of literature on these); regional
                                gardens, in which you showcase produce from different regions - and then you
                                can water accordingly by bed, i.e. tropical regions require more water, arid
                                regions require less; or heirloom fruit and vegetables. Any or all of these
                                can be rich learning experiences.

                                Get in touch with me off list of you want to chat more about gardens!

                                Laura

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                                  Here is a link to Gail Wagner's web page. She has been doing research
                                  about lack of interaction with the natural environment and her students
                                  have done some interesting research.

                                  http://www.cas.sc.edu/anth/Faculty/WAGNERG/Wagner.html

                                  Cheers!

                                  Dianne

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                                    Check out the Urban Harvest program site.
                                    http://www.urbanharvest.org/

                                    The program was initiated by an anthropologist (Bob Randall) a number
                                    of years ago here in Houston. It has grown and grown.. and as Laura
                                    says, this
                                    really is an important movement to encourage!

                                    There are over 100 community gardens, numerous farmers markets every
                                    week, classes for gardeners, etc. It is great.

                                    (We grow lots of fruit / vegetables in our small city garden.
                                    However, I love the idea of a native american garden.. )

                                    ann

                                  • Anthropmor
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 17, 2011
                                      there are many things you could do- I love Anjs' experimental plot- -
                                      although clearing it could be actual excavation.
                                      There are many styles of garden that could be done- Pacific Taro
                                      plot, manioc, multiple Bolivian potatos, Medieval Monks Herb, - check
                                      out Tom Turners "Garden History" book for many idea and ways to lay out
                                      the plots.
                                      Mike Pavlik

                                      Yeah, so you could rotate the use of the divisions so that each plot is
                                      something else: different crops, different practices, and a couple of
                                      fallow plot were your experimental arch'y could go on.

                                      Are you in a location with a decent growing season that will overlap
                                      with classes?

                                      Anj

                                      On 9/16/2011 09:24, Hare II, William E wrote:

                                      > Wow! That is a lot of thinking out loud.
                                      >
                                      > I have a couple of objectives with this potential project:
                                      >
                                      > 1. Get out courtyards to look less like abandoned city lots.
                                      >
                                      > 2. Get my students to learn something about anthropology through
                                      > hands-on learning.
                                      >
                                      > If I can find a diagram of what the layouts look like I will send them
                                      > to interested parties to make suggestions. Off the cuff I can tell you
                                      > that there are walkways dividing each courtyard into 3-4 plots that
                                      can
                                      > be used. I am only willing to take on the responsibility of one
                                      > courtyard.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      >
                                      > Will
                                      >
                                      > From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>;

                                    • Frank Lagana
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 17, 2011
                                        Some sort of composting would be a nice addition to your plot (assuming the administration doesn't object). Have students bring in their food waste and they can see it being transformed into good old dirt.

                                        Frank

                                        Sent from my iPhone