RE: [SACC-L] Montreal Hotels

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 13 10:17 AM
      By "not great", think of possibilities of rain, maybe dipping below freezing at night.

      Bob

      >>> "Laura Gonzalez" <ltgonzalez@...> 9/13/2011 9:55 AM >>>
      Bob,

      By "not great," what are we talking about? Canadian "not great" has got to
      be way beyond California "not great."

      Laura

      _____

      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 13 10:22 AM
        Yes, it was the Queen Elizabeth and suppose to be around 9 blocks from the convention center.

        Congratulations, Dianne! I remember the Queen Elizabeth. Bob, I also remember bundling up while walking through a cold drizzle, reminding me of many winter days in Chicago.

        I notice that the Holiday Inn Select (the cheapest that AAA lists) is only a block from the Convention Center, but with taxes it would be around $175 a night. The Travelodge Montreal Centre, 0.3 mile from the Convention Center, offers a room with double-size bed, taxes included for $102 Canadian; add about $20 for a queen-size.

        At this point, regrettably, my searches are moot. I've decided that I just can't spend the $ to go to Montreal. However, I look forward with anticipation and delight to San Diego in April.

        Lloyd

        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 13 11:07 AM
          Lloyd, Sorry to hear you won't be in Montreal. I'll miss those drinks
          and conversations.

          Maybe we should choose a SACC hotel!

          --Dianne

        • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 13 11:11 AM
            Mapquest says the Queen Elizabeth is .95 miles (driving) from the
            convention center.

            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 13 11:17 AM
              Their website lists the price as about $229/night. (That's out of my
              budget even with school help!)--Dianne

              From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
              Behalf
              Of Kaupp, Ann
              Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:23 PM
              To: 'SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:%27SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> '

              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 13 9:46 PM
                Bob, is the Hilton Garden-Inn reasonable close to the convention centre? the price there is $149...

                380 Sherbrooke St. West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 0B1
                Tel: 1-514-840-0010 Fax: 1-514-844-6433

                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 14 4:25 AM
                  Mapquest says it's about .43 driving miles. It looks like it might even
                  be shorter walking distance. -- Dianne

                  I think the hotel used for the 2004 SACC meeting in Montreal was the
                  Queen Elizabeth. It is within walking distance to the convention center,
                  but it wasn't necessarily a real short walk. While SACC was meeting, the
                  Society for American Archaeology (SAA) was meeting in Montreal at the
                  same time, and Phil arranged for SACC members to attend the SAA meetings
                  at the convention meetings for free! I made the walk over multiple
                  times. Remember though, Montreal in November may not be great,
                  weather-wise.

                  Bob

                  >>> <dianne.chidester@... <mailto:dianne.chidester%40gvltec.edu>
                  > 9/13/2011 9:09 AM >>>
                  I just got word that my school is going to give me some travel support
                  for the AAA. Yippee!

                  Does anyone remember the name of the hotel we stayed in when Phil
                  Naftaly organized the meetings? Is it near the conference center? (I
                  guess I can mapquest to find that out.)

                  See you in Montreal!

                  Dianne

                  Dianne Lynn Chidester, Assistant Professor

                  Anthropology & Sociology

                  Greenville Technical College

                  P.O. Box 5616 MS 1042

                  Greenville, SC 29607

                  864-250-8729

                  "You've got to be taught to hate and fear

                  You've got to be taught from year to year

                  It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear

                  You've got to be carefully taught"

                  --Rodgers & Hammerstein South Pacific

                  ----------

                  reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. To the best
                  of our ability and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is
                  free of viruses and malware.

                  ----------

                • Nikki Ives
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 14 5:56 AM
                    Just an FYI - Google maps has walking directions.

                    Nikki

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 14 10:25 AM
                      Thanks! It says it’s about an 8 minute walk from the Hilton Garden Inn. -- Dianne

                      Just an FYI - Google maps has walking directions.

                      Nikki

                      >________________________________

                    • Hare II, William E
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 16 6:24 AM
                        Hi Everyone,

                        I have potential opportunity to adopt one of our college's courtyards to
                        use as a sort of anthropology lab space. The spaces have become overrun
                        with weeds due to our woefully short-handed maintenance staff. I have a
                        meeting with the "powers that be" to brainstorm how we can make the
                        spaces attractive but also more useful for educational purposes.

                        Here are a couple of ideas that I have come up with:

                        1. Create sustainable gardens that students work in to learn about
                        subsistence horticulture.

                        2. Create an archaeological site that my Intro to Anth students
                        could excavate each fall. The Intro to Cultural Anth would create and
                        bury the artifacts in the spring.

                        3. Create gardens of heirloom varieties to make lessons about GMOs
                        more interesting.

                        I welcome any other suggestions or advice you might have. I don't know
                        for sure how much the administration will actually let me do, but they
                        are at least open to discussion. One caveat is that the courtyards
                        have permanent tables and chairs installed throughout the space and the
                        courtyards will be open to the public.

                        Thanks,

                        Will

                        William Hare

                        Associate Professor of Anthropology

                        Three Rivers Community College

                      • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 16 6:36 AM
                          Will,

                          Another option could be an American Indian garden. I know the gardens
                          at Sunwatch Village in Ohio were recreated by Gail Wagner (U South
                          Carolina).

                          You might also have a Master Gardener program through the Agriculture
                          Extension Service and they might help. Also check for Native Plant
                          Societies in your area. They are a huge help. (I've been trying to put
                          all native plants in my yard.)

                          Cheers!

                          Dianne

                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 16 6:56 AM
                            You could actually combine 1 & 2: do the horticultural bit, but then
                            treat is as an experimental archeology lab, too. Have students who have
                            not participated in the gardening try to infer the practices based on
                            the "data" that the gardeners left behind.

                            How big is the area? Is there any chance that it will produce enough
                            produce for you to have a presence in your campus's "multicultural"
                            programming? Say, if you only grow plants indigenous to the region as
                            cultivated by the area's original inhabitants?

                            As far as GMOs are concerned, there is one caveat: research into
                            genomics is blurring the genetic lines among species and lineages. Even
                            though we are jumping ahead in the line when we insert specific genes
                            into organisms to produce food or disease resistance, remember that this
                            sort of genetic change is exactly what we are doing when we breed
                            organisms selectively for these traits; or graft plants; or produce
                            hybrid plants and animals; or treat these organisms with substances that
                            alter the expression of genes ---- all standard, traditional,
                            "conservative" practices that have essentially the same results (think
                            of the "green revolution" in the mid 20th century that created more
                            productive grain crops by genetic alterations). Furthermore, each round
                            of infection by some bacterium or virus seems to leave traces inserted
                            into the genome in precisely the same way as GMO production does.

                            I can see no essential difference in the intentions of the people doing
                            this; the only real question is whether the action may produce
                            unintended consequences (it almost certain does, since even the
                            "old-fashioned" way of changing the genome has these consequences) and
                            to what effect they are harmful (or more harmful doing it one way than
                            the other).

                            The main issue is how rapidly the change appears and spreads through a
                            population. Of course, in GMOs we get the result we want (specific
                            differences in the genome) more quickly, but so far, the evidence is
                            that it spreads among native populations (during an accidental release)
                            in the same way and at about the same pace as other genetic changes. I
                            think good examples of how we might expect an accidentally released GMO
                            to change native populations can be found in the history of Gypsy moth
                            caterpillars and so-called "Africanized bees. And now there has been an
                            accidental release in Mexico (a few years back) of a GMO corn variety;
                            have not heard anything about that, so I suspect that dire warnings were
                            not realized ... but will go back and try to find out.

                            I think it is worth exploring the issue of people's reactions to GMO;
                            the best thing we can say about them is that there is insufficient
                            evidence to conclude and one might want to err on the side of
                            precaution. But---as with evolution and climate change---the real
                            objections seem to be sociocultural and political and not scientific. We
                            are worried (with good cause) about hubris; we are concerned that these
                            actions are to anthropocentric and may cause harm to the environment
                            (but of course, there are lots of other things that we do that could not
                            stand that sort of scrutiny); we worry that we are "playing God" and
                            acting immorally or unethically --- It's not nice to fool Mother
                            Nature!; and so on.

                            I think a great case study here would be the so-called "Green
                            Revolution" beginning with Borlaug's work in the 40s. I would present
                            the issues of feeding the world, and the goal and the outcomes of the
                            research in the case, but without the technical details of how the
                            genetic change was brought about. Then ask students to gather data and
                            evidence to evaluate the appropriateness of that program.

                            I think you will recognize a sea change in the attitudes toward this
                            sort of scientific manipulation (remember "Better living through
                            chemistry"?) in comparing the 40s-70s with the 80s-2000s about genetic
                            alteration in crops (and this reflects a technologic change more than a
                            change in the programs to alter the genes of organisms). You will also
                            probably find a deep divide in students' acceptance of the genetic
                            alteration between the more tradition (cross breeding) approach common
                            in the 40s compared to the DNA insertion/deletion/inactivation
                            techniques in the 80s and 90s (which, BTW, is also how we make a lot of
                            our vaccines!).

                            Just thinking out loud!

                            Anj

                            On 9/16/2011 08:24, Hare II, William E wrote:

                            > Hi Everyone,
                            >
                            > I have potential opportunity to adopt one of our college's courtyards to
                            > use as a sort of anthropology lab space. The spaces have become overrun
                            > with weeds due to our woefully short-handed maintenance staff. I have a
                            > meeting with the "powers that be" to brainstorm how we can make the
                            > spaces attractive but also more useful for educational purposes.
                            >
                            > Here are a couple of ideas that I have come up with:
                            >
                            > 1. Create sustainable gardens that students work in to learn about
                            > subsistence horticulture.
                            >
                            > 2. Create an archaeological site that my Intro to Anth students
                            > could excavate each fall. The Intro to Cultural Anth would create and
                            > bury the artifacts in the spring.
                            >
                            > 3. Create gardens of heirloom varieties to make lessons about GMOs
                            > more interesting.
                            >
                            > I welcome any other suggestions or advice you might have. I don't know
                            > for sure how much the administration will actually let me do, but they
                            > are at least open to discussion. One caveat is that the courtyards
                            > have permanent tables and chairs installed throughout the space and the
                            > courtyards will be open to the public.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Will
                            >
                            > William Hare
                            >
                            > Associate Professor of Anthropology
                            >
                            > Three Rivers Community College

                            -----------------------------
                            Andrew J Petto, PhD
                            Senior Lecturer
                            Department of Biological Sciences
                            University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                            PO Box 413
                            Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                            CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                            Telephone: 414-229-6784
                            FAX: 414-229-3926

                          • Hare II, William E
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 16 7:24 AM
                              Wow! That is a lot of thinking out loud.

                              I have a couple of objectives with this potential project:

                              1. Get out courtyards to look less like abandoned city lots.

                              2. Get my students to learn something about anthropology through
                              hands-on learning.

                              If I can find a diagram of what the layouts look like I will send them
                              to interested parties to make suggestions. Off the cuff I can tell you
                              that there are walkways dividing each courtyard into 3-4 plots that can
                              be used. I am only willing to take on the responsibility of one
                              courtyard.

                              Thanks,

                              Will

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 16 7:27 AM
                                Hi Dianne,

                                Great ideas and ones I will add to the potential list. We are located
                                near the Mohegan and Pequot Tribal nations so a Native American garden
                                might make sense. I have also given thoughts to having a number of
                                smaller plots representing different indigenous cultures (albeit
                                governed by our New England climate).

                                We have an active Extension Service program in CT, so they might be able
                                to take on one of the other courtyards.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 16 7:34 AM
                                  Yeah, so you could rotate the use of the divisions so that each plot is
                                  something else: different crops, different practices, and a couple of
                                  fallow plot were your experimental arch'y could go on.

                                  Are you in a location with a decent growing season that will overlap
                                  with classes?

                                  Anj

                                  -----------------------------
                                  Andrew J Petto, PhD
                                  Senior Lecturer
                                  Department of Biological Sciences
                                  University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                                  PO Box 413
                                  Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                                  CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                                  Telephone: 414-229-6784
                                  FAX: 414-229-3926

                                • Laura Gonzalez
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 16 7:36 AM
                                    Will,

                                    This is really exciting! To be given a space, and carte blanche.very cool!

                                    At my college, I developed a garden with raised beds (easier to take care
                                    of, amend soil, etc.). We use it as a community garden, in which different
                                    campus groups apply to care for a bed throughout the growing season. The
                                    Anthro bed is cared for by my Honors students, who are surprised to learn
                                    they will be turning compost as part of their Honors curriculum. In our
                                    current food and agricultural crisis, I can't think of a more appropriate
                                    thing for them to be doing!

                                    You might consider themed beds - a Three Sisters Garden (Southwest Indians -
                                    corn, beans and squash - there is a lot of literature on these); regional
                                    gardens, in which you showcase produce from different regions - and then you
                                    can water accordingly by bed, i.e. tropical regions require more water, arid
                                    regions require less; or heirloom fruit and vegetables. Any or all of these
                                    can be rich learning experiences.

                                    Get in touch with me off list of you want to chat more about gardens!

                                    Laura

                                    _____

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 16 8:32 AM
                                      Here is a link to Gail Wagner's web page. She has been doing research
                                      about lack of interaction with the natural environment and her students
                                      have done some interesting research.

                                      http://www.cas.sc.edu/anth/Faculty/WAGNERG/Wagner.html

                                      Cheers!

                                      Dianne

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 16 9:11 AM
                                        Check out the Urban Harvest program site.
                                        http://www.urbanharvest.org/

                                        The program was initiated by an anthropologist (Bob Randall) a number
                                        of years ago here in Houston. It has grown and grown.. and as Laura
                                        says, this
                                        really is an important movement to encourage!

                                        There are over 100 community gardens, numerous farmers markets every
                                        week, classes for gardeners, etc. It is great.

                                        (We grow lots of fruit / vegetables in our small city garden.
                                        However, I love the idea of a native american garden.. )

                                        ann

                                      • Anthropmor
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 17 9:29 AM
                                          there are many things you could do- I love Anjs' experimental plot- -
                                          although clearing it could be actual excavation.
                                          There are many styles of garden that could be done- Pacific Taro
                                          plot, manioc, multiple Bolivian potatos, Medieval Monks Herb, - check
                                          out Tom Turners "Garden History" book for many idea and ways to lay out
                                          the plots.
                                          Mike Pavlik

                                          Yeah, so you could rotate the use of the divisions so that each plot is
                                          something else: different crops, different practices, and a couple of
                                          fallow plot were your experimental arch'y could go on.

                                          Are you in a location with a decent growing season that will overlap
                                          with classes?

                                          Anj

                                          On 9/16/2011 09:24, Hare II, William E wrote:

                                          > Wow! That is a lot of thinking out loud.
                                          >
                                          > I have a couple of objectives with this potential project:
                                          >
                                          > 1. Get out courtyards to look less like abandoned city lots.
                                          >
                                          > 2. Get my students to learn something about anthropology through
                                          > hands-on learning.
                                          >
                                          > If I can find a diagram of what the layouts look like I will send them
                                          > to interested parties to make suggestions. Off the cuff I can tell you
                                          > that there are walkways dividing each courtyard into 3-4 plots that
                                          can
                                          > be used. I am only willing to take on the responsibility of one
                                          > courtyard.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks,
                                          >
                                          > Will
                                          >
                                          > From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>;

                                        • Frank Lagana
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 17 10:48 AM
                                            Some sort of composting would be a nice addition to your plot (assuming the administration doesn't object). Have students bring in their food waste and they can see it being transformed into good old dirt.

                                            Frank

                                            Sent from my iPhone