Re: [SACC-L] Montreal Hotels

    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 13, 2011
      Congratulations, Dianne! I remember the Queen Elizabeth. Bob, I also remember bundling up while walking through a cold drizzle, reminding me of many winter days in Chicago.

      I notice that the Holiday Inn Select (the cheapest that AAA lists) is only a block from the Convention Center, but with taxes it would be around $175 a night. The Travelodge Montreal Centre, 0.3 mile from the Convention Center, offers a room with double-size bed, taxes included for $102 Canadian; add about $20 for a queen-size.

      At this point, regrettably, my searches are moot. I've decided that I just can't spend the $ to go to Montreal. However, I look forward with anticipation and delight to San Diego in April.

      Lloyd

      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 13, 2011
        Don't forget that Montreal has subterranean pedestrian tunnels tied in with
        the subway system. I was once in Montreal in late December when an ice storm
        made walking outdoors a death-defying experience. Then we found out about
        the tunnels and lived to see another day. (Remember, I am from Minnesota. It
        isn't the cold, but the ice that matters, but you can use the tunnels
        anytime you like.)

      • Bob Muckle
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 13, 2011
          By "not great", think of possibilities of rain, maybe dipping below freezing at night.

          Bob

          >>> "Laura Gonzalez" <ltgonzalez@...> 9/13/2011 9:55 AM >>>
          Bob,

          By "not great," what are we talking about? Canadian "not great" has got to
          be way beyond California "not great."

          Laura

          _____

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 13, 2011
            Yes, it was the Queen Elizabeth and suppose to be around 9 blocks from the convention center.

            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 13, 2011
              Lloyd, Sorry to hear you won't be in Montreal. I'll miss those drinks
              and conversations.

              Maybe we should choose a SACC hotel!

              --Dianne

            • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 13, 2011
                Mapquest says the Queen Elizabeth is .95 miles (driving) from the
                convention center.

                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 13, 2011
                  Their website lists the price as about $229/night. (That's out of my
                  budget even with school help!)--Dianne

                  From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
                  Behalf
                  Of Kaupp, Ann
                  Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:23 PM
                  To: 'SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:%27SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> '

                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 13, 2011
                    Bob, is the Hilton Garden-Inn reasonable close to the convention centre? the price there is $149...

                    380 Sherbrooke St. West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 0B1
                    Tel: 1-514-840-0010 Fax: 1-514-844-6433

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 14, 2011
                      Mapquest says it's about .43 driving miles. It looks like it might even
                      be shorter walking distance. -- Dianne

                      I think the hotel used for the 2004 SACC meeting in Montreal was the
                      Queen Elizabeth. It is within walking distance to the convention center,
                      but it wasn't necessarily a real short walk. While SACC was meeting, the
                      Society for American Archaeology (SAA) was meeting in Montreal at the
                      same time, and Phil arranged for SACC members to attend the SAA meetings
                      at the convention meetings for free! I made the walk over multiple
                      times. Remember though, Montreal in November may not be great,
                      weather-wise.

                      Bob

                      >>> <dianne.chidester@... <mailto:dianne.chidester%40gvltec.edu>
                      > 9/13/2011 9:09 AM >>>
                      I just got word that my school is going to give me some travel support
                      for the AAA. Yippee!

                      Does anyone remember the name of the hotel we stayed in when Phil
                      Naftaly organized the meetings? Is it near the conference center? (I
                      guess I can mapquest to find that out.)

                      See you in Montreal!

                      Dianne

                      Dianne Lynn Chidester, Assistant Professor

                      Anthropology & Sociology

                      Greenville Technical College

                      P.O. Box 5616 MS 1042

                      Greenville, SC 29607

                      864-250-8729

                      "You've got to be taught to hate and fear

                      You've got to be taught from year to year

                      It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear

                      You've got to be carefully taught"

                      --Rodgers & Hammerstein South Pacific

                      ----------

                      reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. To the best
                      of our ability and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is
                      free of viruses and malware.

                      ----------

                    • Nikki Ives
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 14, 2011
                        Just an FYI - Google maps has walking directions.

                        Nikki

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 14, 2011
                          Thanks! It says it’s about an 8 minute walk from the Hilton Garden Inn. -- Dianne

                          Just an FYI - Google maps has walking directions.

                          Nikki

                          >________________________________

                        • Hare II, William E
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                            Hi Everyone,

                            I have potential opportunity to adopt one of our college's courtyards to
                            use as a sort of anthropology lab space. The spaces have become overrun
                            with weeds due to our woefully short-handed maintenance staff. I have a
                            meeting with the "powers that be" to brainstorm how we can make the
                            spaces attractive but also more useful for educational purposes.

                            Here are a couple of ideas that I have come up with:

                            1. Create sustainable gardens that students work in to learn about
                            subsistence horticulture.

                            2. Create an archaeological site that my Intro to Anth students
                            could excavate each fall. The Intro to Cultural Anth would create and
                            bury the artifacts in the spring.

                            3. Create gardens of heirloom varieties to make lessons about GMOs
                            more interesting.

                            I welcome any other suggestions or advice you might have. I don't know
                            for sure how much the administration will actually let me do, but they
                            are at least open to discussion. One caveat is that the courtyards
                            have permanent tables and chairs installed throughout the space and the
                            courtyards will be open to the public.

                            Thanks,

                            Will

                            William Hare

                            Associate Professor of Anthropology

                            Three Rivers Community College

                          • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                              Will,

                              Another option could be an American Indian garden. I know the gardens
                              at Sunwatch Village in Ohio were recreated by Gail Wagner (U South
                              Carolina).

                              You might also have a Master Gardener program through the Agriculture
                              Extension Service and they might help. Also check for Native Plant
                              Societies in your area. They are a huge help. (I've been trying to put
                              all native plants in my yard.)

                              Cheers!

                              Dianne

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                                You could actually combine 1 & 2: do the horticultural bit, but then
                                treat is as an experimental archeology lab, too. Have students who have
                                not participated in the gardening try to infer the practices based on
                                the "data" that the gardeners left behind.

                                How big is the area? Is there any chance that it will produce enough
                                produce for you to have a presence in your campus's "multicultural"
                                programming? Say, if you only grow plants indigenous to the region as
                                cultivated by the area's original inhabitants?

                                As far as GMOs are concerned, there is one caveat: research into
                                genomics is blurring the genetic lines among species and lineages. Even
                                though we are jumping ahead in the line when we insert specific genes
                                into organisms to produce food or disease resistance, remember that this
                                sort of genetic change is exactly what we are doing when we breed
                                organisms selectively for these traits; or graft plants; or produce
                                hybrid plants and animals; or treat these organisms with substances that
                                alter the expression of genes ---- all standard, traditional,
                                "conservative" practices that have essentially the same results (think
                                of the "green revolution" in the mid 20th century that created more
                                productive grain crops by genetic alterations). Furthermore, each round
                                of infection by some bacterium or virus seems to leave traces inserted
                                into the genome in precisely the same way as GMO production does.

                                I can see no essential difference in the intentions of the people doing
                                this; the only real question is whether the action may produce
                                unintended consequences (it almost certain does, since even the
                                "old-fashioned" way of changing the genome has these consequences) and
                                to what effect they are harmful (or more harmful doing it one way than
                                the other).

                                The main issue is how rapidly the change appears and spreads through a
                                population. Of course, in GMOs we get the result we want (specific
                                differences in the genome) more quickly, but so far, the evidence is
                                that it spreads among native populations (during an accidental release)
                                in the same way and at about the same pace as other genetic changes. I
                                think good examples of how we might expect an accidentally released GMO
                                to change native populations can be found in the history of Gypsy moth
                                caterpillars and so-called "Africanized bees. And now there has been an
                                accidental release in Mexico (a few years back) of a GMO corn variety;
                                have not heard anything about that, so I suspect that dire warnings were
                                not realized ... but will go back and try to find out.

                                I think it is worth exploring the issue of people's reactions to GMO;
                                the best thing we can say about them is that there is insufficient
                                evidence to conclude and one might want to err on the side of
                                precaution. But---as with evolution and climate change---the real
                                objections seem to be sociocultural and political and not scientific. We
                                are worried (with good cause) about hubris; we are concerned that these
                                actions are to anthropocentric and may cause harm to the environment
                                (but of course, there are lots of other things that we do that could not
                                stand that sort of scrutiny); we worry that we are "playing God" and
                                acting immorally or unethically --- It's not nice to fool Mother
                                Nature!; and so on.

                                I think a great case study here would be the so-called "Green
                                Revolution" beginning with Borlaug's work in the 40s. I would present
                                the issues of feeding the world, and the goal and the outcomes of the
                                research in the case, but without the technical details of how the
                                genetic change was brought about. Then ask students to gather data and
                                evidence to evaluate the appropriateness of that program.

                                I think you will recognize a sea change in the attitudes toward this
                                sort of scientific manipulation (remember "Better living through
                                chemistry"?) in comparing the 40s-70s with the 80s-2000s about genetic
                                alteration in crops (and this reflects a technologic change more than a
                                change in the programs to alter the genes of organisms). You will also
                                probably find a deep divide in students' acceptance of the genetic
                                alteration between the more tradition (cross breeding) approach common
                                in the 40s compared to the DNA insertion/deletion/inactivation
                                techniques in the 80s and 90s (which, BTW, is also how we make a lot of
                                our vaccines!).

                                Just thinking out loud!

                                Anj

                                On 9/16/2011 08:24, Hare II, William E wrote:

                                > Hi Everyone,
                                >
                                > I have potential opportunity to adopt one of our college's courtyards to
                                > use as a sort of anthropology lab space. The spaces have become overrun
                                > with weeds due to our woefully short-handed maintenance staff. I have a
                                > meeting with the "powers that be" to brainstorm how we can make the
                                > spaces attractive but also more useful for educational purposes.
                                >
                                > Here are a couple of ideas that I have come up with:
                                >
                                > 1. Create sustainable gardens that students work in to learn about
                                > subsistence horticulture.
                                >
                                > 2. Create an archaeological site that my Intro to Anth students
                                > could excavate each fall. The Intro to Cultural Anth would create and
                                > bury the artifacts in the spring.
                                >
                                > 3. Create gardens of heirloom varieties to make lessons about GMOs
                                > more interesting.
                                >
                                > I welcome any other suggestions or advice you might have. I don't know
                                > for sure how much the administration will actually let me do, but they
                                > are at least open to discussion. One caveat is that the courtyards
                                > have permanent tables and chairs installed throughout the space and the
                                > courtyards will be open to the public.
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                >
                                > Will
                                >
                                > William Hare
                                >
                                > Associate Professor of Anthropology
                                >
                                > Three Rivers Community College

                                -----------------------------
                                Andrew J Petto, PhD
                                Senior Lecturer
                                Department of Biological Sciences
                                University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                                PO Box 413
                                Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                                CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                                Telephone: 414-229-6784
                                FAX: 414-229-3926

                              • Hare II, William E
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                                  Wow! That is a lot of thinking out loud.

                                  I have a couple of objectives with this potential project:

                                  1. Get out courtyards to look less like abandoned city lots.

                                  2. Get my students to learn something about anthropology through
                                  hands-on learning.

                                  If I can find a diagram of what the layouts look like I will send them
                                  to interested parties to make suggestions. Off the cuff I can tell you
                                  that there are walkways dividing each courtyard into 3-4 plots that can
                                  be used. I am only willing to take on the responsibility of one
                                  courtyard.

                                  Thanks,

                                  Will

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                                    Hi Dianne,

                                    Great ideas and ones I will add to the potential list. We are located
                                    near the Mohegan and Pequot Tribal nations so a Native American garden
                                    might make sense. I have also given thoughts to having a number of
                                    smaller plots representing different indigenous cultures (albeit
                                    governed by our New England climate).

                                    We have an active Extension Service program in CT, so they might be able
                                    to take on one of the other courtyards.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                                      Yeah, so you could rotate the use of the divisions so that each plot is
                                      something else: different crops, different practices, and a couple of
                                      fallow plot were your experimental arch'y could go on.

                                      Are you in a location with a decent growing season that will overlap
                                      with classes?

                                      Anj

                                      -----------------------------
                                      Andrew J Petto, PhD
                                      Senior Lecturer
                                      Department of Biological Sciences
                                      University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                                      PO Box 413
                                      Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                                      CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                                      Telephone: 414-229-6784
                                      FAX: 414-229-3926

                                    • Laura Gonzalez
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                                        Will,

                                        This is really exciting! To be given a space, and carte blanche.very cool!

                                        At my college, I developed a garden with raised beds (easier to take care
                                        of, amend soil, etc.). We use it as a community garden, in which different
                                        campus groups apply to care for a bed throughout the growing season. The
                                        Anthro bed is cared for by my Honors students, who are surprised to learn
                                        they will be turning compost as part of their Honors curriculum. In our
                                        current food and agricultural crisis, I can't think of a more appropriate
                                        thing for them to be doing!

                                        You might consider themed beds - a Three Sisters Garden (Southwest Indians -
                                        corn, beans and squash - there is a lot of literature on these); regional
                                        gardens, in which you showcase produce from different regions - and then you
                                        can water accordingly by bed, i.e. tropical regions require more water, arid
                                        regions require less; or heirloom fruit and vegetables. Any or all of these
                                        can be rich learning experiences.

                                        Get in touch with me off list of you want to chat more about gardens!

                                        Laura

                                        _____

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                                          Here is a link to Gail Wagner's web page. She has been doing research
                                          about lack of interaction with the natural environment and her students
                                          have done some interesting research.

                                          http://www.cas.sc.edu/anth/Faculty/WAGNERG/Wagner.html

                                          Cheers!

                                          Dianne

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 16, 2011
                                            Check out the Urban Harvest program site.
                                            http://www.urbanharvest.org/

                                            The program was initiated by an anthropologist (Bob Randall) a number
                                            of years ago here in Houston. It has grown and grown.. and as Laura
                                            says, this
                                            really is an important movement to encourage!

                                            There are over 100 community gardens, numerous farmers markets every
                                            week, classes for gardeners, etc. It is great.

                                            (We grow lots of fruit / vegetables in our small city garden.
                                            However, I love the idea of a native american garden.. )

                                            ann

                                          • Anthropmor
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 17, 2011
                                              there are many things you could do- I love Anjs' experimental plot- -
                                              although clearing it could be actual excavation.
                                              There are many styles of garden that could be done- Pacific Taro
                                              plot, manioc, multiple Bolivian potatos, Medieval Monks Herb, - check
                                              out Tom Turners "Garden History" book for many idea and ways to lay out
                                              the plots.
                                              Mike Pavlik

                                              Yeah, so you could rotate the use of the divisions so that each plot is
                                              something else: different crops, different practices, and a couple of
                                              fallow plot were your experimental arch'y could go on.

                                              Are you in a location with a decent growing season that will overlap
                                              with classes?

                                              Anj

                                              On 9/16/2011 09:24, Hare II, William E wrote:

                                              > Wow! That is a lot of thinking out loud.
                                              >
                                              > I have a couple of objectives with this potential project:
                                              >
                                              > 1. Get out courtyards to look less like abandoned city lots.
                                              >
                                              > 2. Get my students to learn something about anthropology through
                                              > hands-on learning.
                                              >
                                              > If I can find a diagram of what the layouts look like I will send them
                                              > to interested parties to make suggestions. Off the cuff I can tell you
                                              > that there are walkways dividing each courtyard into 3-4 plots that
                                              can
                                              > be used. I am only willing to take on the responsibility of one
                                              > courtyard.
                                              >
                                              > Thanks,
                                              >
                                              > Will
                                              >
                                              > From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>;

                                            • Frank Lagana
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 17, 2011
                                                Some sort of composting would be a nice addition to your plot (assuming the administration doesn't object). Have students bring in their food waste and they can see it being transformed into good old dirt.

                                                Frank

                                                Sent from my iPhone