Re: [SACC-L] Re: Fwd: Gobekli Tepe

  • Anthropmor
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
      Are you aware that one of the Koch brothers is a regular funder of NOVA
      programs, now?

      did you notice that the subject s are getting more selective?
      Much as I enjoyed the coverage of industrial chemists, I've noticed more of that creeping in.
      Mike Pavlik

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
        And the recent program on the new WTC brought up the question of why the
        original towers fell but then completely dropped it (that was right after
        the architect of the new building had said that he hadn't believed the old
        towers could fall). Just weird. Also, I heard the narrator say that the
        multi-ton panes of external glass "made in the US" for the new building were
        shipped all the way to China for etching "because it was cheaper."

        Can't forget to add those plugs supporting production outsourcing.

        Koch was also involved in a PBS program on Stonehenge which was a terrible
        mishmash of research and what-ifs. One of the experimental archaeology
        sequences looked like a reject idea from Time Team.

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
          Dianne,

          Thanks much for the Sagan baloney detector kit; I shall treasure it. Though I had read several of Sagan's books, I somehow missed this. I may order the book too. Also, thanks for reassuring me that I am "not alone!" And Deborah and Mike, thanks for your enlightening comments. Deborah, Michele Bachmann notwithstanding, the students I remember (and the ones Bev and my son moan about regularly) are pretty much the same.

          A cousin (whom I certainly love) and several non-academic age mates receive these kinds of things fairly regularly and often forwards them to me. So, I customarily check them out on Snopes or some other urban legend-busting site and email them back with the news that (usually), "No, that's not true," and either paste in the information or explain to them more briefly in my own words why such and such is a myth. Far from being offended, they thank me and express appreciation for my "researching these things and setting them straight." Of course, they could easily look up the information themselves, but I don't have the heart to tell them that.

          Lloyd

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 13, 2011
            Don't forget the David H. Koch Hall of Human Origins at the Natural History Museum http://humanorigins.si.edu/

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 13, 2011