Skip to search.

RE: [SACC-L] Re: Fwd: Gobekli Tepe

  • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
      Lloyd, You're not alone about feeling scammed. I watched the
      History.com site and saw what I always warn my students about. Be sure
      to check sources. Who is the voice of authority? Does this make sense?
      What is the science presented?

      My gripe with the history.com site is that affiliations are not given
      and many of the voices of authority are investigative journalists. (I'm
      not against this, just tell me what your qualifications are.) The "tone"
      is also a problem for me. Everything is a mystery, everything has
      biblical connections, information is nearly whispered so it all seems
      somehow magical.

      Carl Sagan wrote a "baloney detector kit"
      http://users.tpg.com.au/users/tps-seti/baloney.html
      And I tell students to check it out.

      Cheers!
      Dianne

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
        Thank you for the Carl Sagan baloney detector kit, Dianne. That's a keeper.

        As for History.com, I'm fully with you there. Too often I have found that my
        students have watched many History channel shows (which is why they enrolled
        in anthropology and archaeology courses), but they don't know about the PBS
        channel (what PBS channel?) and never heard of the program NOVA* (or
        American Experience). Well, I should once again post the disclaimer that I
        have taught in Michele Bachmann's district. I'm sure there are different
        students elsewhere.

        However, I think it is important to realize that the History Channel mantra
        of "it's a mystery" is not just a simple marketing ploy. This attitude feeds
        into a growing American religious-based anti-science undercurrent. Even in
        archaeology class, I have encountered students who absolutely resent having
        their mysteries explained. They fight it and argue about the possibilities
        of truly ridiculous and bizarre things. This puzzled me until I realized
        that they weren't defending the fairy tales so much as clinging to the
        spiritual sense of mystery in the face of the glaring light of science.
        Suddenly, by explaining the Nazca lines, I was inadvertently attacking their
        spirituality, which by extension means their Christian faith (for they
        regularly attend churches which warn them against the evils of science and
        scientists, a la Rick Perry). It's the only explanation I can give for the
        backlash I received on such occasions and, by extension, why the History
        channel is so popular. Mystery demands faith, not science.

        * Are you aware that one of the Koch brothers is a regular funder of NOVA
        programs, now?

        Deborah

        Thanks, Barry. My call for help was premature. I subsequently Googled
        the site and found a plethora of information on it. Should have done
        that first. Apparently, the site was examined first in the 1960s and
        dismissed as just an abandoned cemetery, then researched again int he
        1990s.

        I receive so many things on the Internet that are either phony or
        downright scams that I may have become overly suspicious.

        Lloyd

        On Sep 10, 2011, at 10:47 AM, Barry Kass wrote:

        > Hi Lloyd,
        > National Geographic magazine ( June/2011 ) has a major article about
        > Gobekli Tepe in Turkey.
        > It is an authentic site, and very fascinating.
        > Barry

        are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
        destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
        knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
        malware.

      • Anthropmor
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
          Are you aware that one of the Koch brothers is a regular funder of NOVA
          programs, now?

          did you notice that the subject s are getting more selective?
          Much as I enjoyed the coverage of industrial chemists, I've noticed more of that creeping in.
          Mike Pavlik

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
            And the recent program on the new WTC brought up the question of why the
            original towers fell but then completely dropped it (that was right after
            the architect of the new building had said that he hadn't believed the old
            towers could fall). Just weird. Also, I heard the narrator say that the
            multi-ton panes of external glass "made in the US" for the new building were
            shipped all the way to China for etching "because it was cheaper."

            Can't forget to add those plugs supporting production outsourcing.

            Koch was also involved in a PBS program on Stonehenge which was a terrible
            mishmash of research and what-ifs. One of the experimental archaeology
            sequences looked like a reject idea from Time Team.

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
              Dianne,

              Thanks much for the Sagan baloney detector kit; I shall treasure it. Though I had read several of Sagan's books, I somehow missed this. I may order the book too. Also, thanks for reassuring me that I am "not alone!" And Deborah and Mike, thanks for your enlightening comments. Deborah, Michele Bachmann notwithstanding, the students I remember (and the ones Bev and my son moan about regularly) are pretty much the same.

              A cousin (whom I certainly love) and several non-academic age mates receive these kinds of things fairly regularly and often forwards them to me. So, I customarily check them out on Snopes or some other urban legend-busting site and email them back with the news that (usually), "No, that's not true," and either paste in the information or explain to them more briefly in my own words why such and such is a myth. Far from being offended, they thank me and express appreciation for my "researching these things and setting them straight." Of course, they could easily look up the information themselves, but I don't have the heart to tell them that.

              Lloyd

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 13, 2011
                Don't forget the David H. Koch Hall of Human Origins at the Natural History Museum http://humanorigins.si.edu/

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 13, 2011