Re: Fwd: Gobekli Tepe

  • Barry Kass
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 10, 2011
      Hi Lloyd,
      National Geographic magazine ( June/2011 ) has a major article about
      Gobekli Tepe in Turkey.
      It is an authentic site, and very fascinating.
      Barry

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 10, 2011
        Thanks, Barry. My call for help was premature. I subsequently Googled the site and found a plethora of information on it. Should have done that first. Apparently, the site was examined first in the 1960s and dismissed as just an abandoned cemetery, then researched again int he 1990s.

        I receive so many things on the Internet that are either phony or downright scams that I may have become overly suspicious.

        Lloyd

      • bmuckle@capilanou.ca
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 10, 2011
          Reminds me of another real ongoing archaeology project in California. The film sets of the 1923 epic "The Ten Commandments" were deliberately covered with sand after filming, and archaeologists have re-disvered them. I'm not really suggesting that there was a four thousand year movie shoot after which the director chose to bury the set though.

          Envoy� sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le r�seau de Bell.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
            Lloyd, You're not alone about feeling scammed. I watched the
            History.com site and saw what I always warn my students about. Be sure
            to check sources. Who is the voice of authority? Does this make sense?
            What is the science presented?

            My gripe with the history.com site is that affiliations are not given
            and many of the voices of authority are investigative journalists. (I'm
            not against this, just tell me what your qualifications are.) The "tone"
            is also a problem for me. Everything is a mystery, everything has
            biblical connections, information is nearly whispered so it all seems
            somehow magical.

            Carl Sagan wrote a "baloney detector kit"
            http://users.tpg.com.au/users/tps-seti/baloney.html
            And I tell students to check it out.

            Cheers!
            Dianne

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
              Thank you for the Carl Sagan baloney detector kit, Dianne. That's a keeper.

              As for History.com, I'm fully with you there. Too often I have found that my
              students have watched many History channel shows (which is why they enrolled
              in anthropology and archaeology courses), but they don't know about the PBS
              channel (what PBS channel?) and never heard of the program NOVA* (or
              American Experience). Well, I should once again post the disclaimer that I
              have taught in Michele Bachmann's district. I'm sure there are different
              students elsewhere.

              However, I think it is important to realize that the History Channel mantra
              of "it's a mystery" is not just a simple marketing ploy. This attitude feeds
              into a growing American religious-based anti-science undercurrent. Even in
              archaeology class, I have encountered students who absolutely resent having
              their mysteries explained. They fight it and argue about the possibilities
              of truly ridiculous and bizarre things. This puzzled me until I realized
              that they weren't defending the fairy tales so much as clinging to the
              spiritual sense of mystery in the face of the glaring light of science.
              Suddenly, by explaining the Nazca lines, I was inadvertently attacking their
              spirituality, which by extension means their Christian faith (for they
              regularly attend churches which warn them against the evils of science and
              scientists, a la Rick Perry). It's the only explanation I can give for the
              backlash I received on such occasions and, by extension, why the History
              channel is so popular. Mystery demands faith, not science.

              * Are you aware that one of the Koch brothers is a regular funder of NOVA
              programs, now?

              Deborah

              Thanks, Barry. My call for help was premature. I subsequently Googled
              the site and found a plethora of information on it. Should have done
              that first. Apparently, the site was examined first in the 1960s and
              dismissed as just an abandoned cemetery, then researched again int he
              1990s.

              I receive so many things on the Internet that are either phony or
              downright scams that I may have become overly suspicious.

              Lloyd

              On Sep 10, 2011, at 10:47 AM, Barry Kass wrote:

              > Hi Lloyd,
              > National Geographic magazine ( June/2011 ) has a major article about
              > Gobekli Tepe in Turkey.
              > It is an authentic site, and very fascinating.
              > Barry

              are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
              destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability and
              knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and
              malware.

            • Anthropmor
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
                Are you aware that one of the Koch brothers is a regular funder of NOVA
                programs, now?

                did you notice that the subject s are getting more selective?
                Much as I enjoyed the coverage of industrial chemists, I've noticed more of that creeping in.
                Mike Pavlik

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
                  And the recent program on the new WTC brought up the question of why the
                  original towers fell but then completely dropped it (that was right after
                  the architect of the new building had said that he hadn't believed the old
                  towers could fall). Just weird. Also, I heard the narrator say that the
                  multi-ton panes of external glass "made in the US" for the new building were
                  shipped all the way to China for etching "because it was cheaper."

                  Can't forget to add those plugs supporting production outsourcing.

                  Koch was also involved in a PBS program on Stonehenge which was a terrible
                  mishmash of research and what-ifs. One of the experimental archaeology
                  sequences looked like a reject idea from Time Team.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 12, 2011
                    Dianne,

                    Thanks much for the Sagan baloney detector kit; I shall treasure it. Though I had read several of Sagan's books, I somehow missed this. I may order the book too. Also, thanks for reassuring me that I am "not alone!" And Deborah and Mike, thanks for your enlightening comments. Deborah, Michele Bachmann notwithstanding, the students I remember (and the ones Bev and my son moan about regularly) are pretty much the same.

                    A cousin (whom I certainly love) and several non-academic age mates receive these kinds of things fairly regularly and often forwards them to me. So, I customarily check them out on Snopes or some other urban legend-busting site and email them back with the news that (usually), "No, that's not true," and either paste in the information or explain to them more briefly in my own words why such and such is a myth. Far from being offended, they thank me and express appreciation for my "researching these things and setting them straight." Of course, they could easily look up the information themselves, but I don't have the heart to tell them that.

                    Lloyd

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 13, 2011
                      Don't forget the David H. Koch Hall of Human Origins at the Natural History Museum http://humanorigins.si.edu/

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 13, 2011