Re: [SACC-L] Adjunct class in Chicago

  • Sydney Hart
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2011
      Hi, Mike:

      We always get these the week before because that's often when I find out that I need an adjunct! Before I was department co-chair, the VP would call me and I'd get on it that day. Now that I'm department co-chair (it's been one year--only two more to go!), I try to go through other city colleges first. It's a professional courtesy, an informal expectation, and piles less work! In this case, the adjunct who was going to teach the class had to back out at the last minute for personal reasons. Because our pay is ridiculously low and the bureaucracy ridiculously complicated, I can't fault somebody for taking another opportunity even if it is at the last minute. This semester across six discipliens, we lost several adjuncts to graduate school, a few to better jobs, and a couple to personal issues. I'm waiting to find out if one of my Pol Sci adjuncts gets a full-time job. Since it's for the same system, she won't know until the first or second week of classes and then she'll have to drop our classes for the new gig. Can't blame her.

      One other factor is that I'm not allowed to advertise a job until there's been an ad on the district website (ccc.edu) and I've exhausted any applicants from that list. And here's how crazy it is--we had to drop someone who had responded to the ccc ad because her Anthro graduate degree was from the London School of Economics. Because it's not an American university, she would have to get the trandcript evaluated at a personal cost of something like $200! Neither one of us knew that and she simply wasn't going to spend that money for a single class that may or may not be renewed.

      Whew! Sorry to ramble on. I hate being in the position of department chair and managing the crazy red-tape.

      Sydney

      Sydney Hart, Ph.D.
      Co-Chair, Social Sciences Department
      Assistant Professor, Sociology, Anthropology, and Global Studies
      Wilbur Wright College
      4300 North Narragansett Avenue
      Chicago, Illinois 60634
      >>> Anthropmor <anthropmor@...> 08/19/11 7:09 AM >>>

      I'd love to but i am teaching on tues and working at the hospital on thurs.
      Mike ( PS- why do we always get these the week before!!!!!)