the Iowa State Fair

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2011
      Warning: this message is NOT about SACC name changes.

      Yesterday, my wife, Bev, and I attended opening day at the Iowa State Fair. I think every state in the US has an annual fair, but Iowa's is the one after which the classic Hollywood movie, "State Fair" starring Pat Boone was modeled. It is known (among other things) for its visitors of humongous proportions, junk food quite literally to die for and the butter cow, a life-sized cow sculpted from 100 percent pure, sweet cream butter (not the vegetable oil blends). This year celebrates the one hundredth year of this dairy bovine.

      The Fair will now also be known as the site where Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, stopping by on his way to Iowa State University in Ames to participate in a Fox News-sponsored candidate debate that evening, made a statement that will likely plague him throughout the campaign. Under continuous heckling from several onlookers, Gov. Romney said unequivocally that "corporations are people." You probably heard this excerpt repeated various times on the Thursday evening news. Bev and I didn't see it first hand; we were off somewhere probably indulging in a wickedly tasty delight. Our favorite tee shirt from the Fair read: "I went to the Iowa State Fair and all I got was type two diabetes."

      Those of you who follow political satire on cable TV's Comedy Central channel may have heard that satirist Stephen Colbert won approval in June to establish his "Super PAC" political action committee and jokingly funded several commercials that aired yesterday supporting Texas Governor Rick Perry for president. However, in the commercials, Perry's name is spelled "Parry—A for America." Colbert has urged Iowans who vote in the Ames Straw Poll (for Republican candidates) on Saturday to write in Rick Perry's name as "Parry" (Perry is not on the Poll's ballot, but plans to appear elsewhere to announce his candidacy officially the same day).

      For its "fifteen minutes of fame" every four years during presidential election caucuses, Iowa rocks! 2012 will be an interesting year...