RE: [SACC-L] SACC name change--Adjuncts

  • Laura Gonzalez
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
      Nina,

      You are absolutely right. A name change will likely benefit our organization
      because it may draw more members from the pool of people already paying AAA
      dues. However, no name change will really do much to help our colleagues at
      community colleges. This is a problem that we need to continue to address.

      Even those faculty who aren't AAA or SACC members can still come to the
      conferences and participate fully, if they have the resources. However, as
      you point out, those resources are sorely lacking. I will consider
      virtual/digital possibilities for the 2012 conference for those who would
      like to participate but cannot physically be there. Great idea.

      Laura

      _____

      From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
      From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
      <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
        Hey, I sure second that! I've never been in the Northeast and would love an opportunity to go.
        Lloyd

      • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
          Lloyd, You have too been in the Northeast. I remember a jazz club in
          Boston and fire alarms in the middle of the night chasing us all into
          the streets. Ahh. Sweet SACC memories! -- Dianne

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
            Diane, as usual is absolutely on target with the other forces affecting membership, however, the fact remains that the greatest loss of SACC in my view, will be the loss of a national department, a family of isolated one-professor departments with added adjuncts that needed a collegial support group. Now all small departments are being crushed by the political economy of education in states and the lack of a sane federal government.

            _____

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
              OMG, is Boston in the Northeast? I had forgotten! I think we "veterans" need to have a "reminiscence" session at the next meetings. So much fun and so much to remember...No longer will I chortle at people who think we grow potatoes in Iowa�Lloyd

            • Dianne C
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
                Lloyd, Iowa ISN"T the potato capital? What do y'all grow? I know Idaho (or one of those "flyover states" grows corn!

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
                  Iowa grows tractors!

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
                    Ahah, you must have seen some from across the Omaha side of the Bob Kerry Memorial Bridge.