RE: [SACC-L] SACC name change--Adjuncts

  • Nina Brown
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
      Hello,

      I agree with what has been said here about the benefits of a name change.
      Regarding membership numbers, as Mike just said a big hurdle is not only the
      cost of the AAA but also the fact that many of the people teaching
      anthropology at community colleges now are adjuncts who do not have the
      money or time to participate. At my college, full-time faculty teach less
      than a third of the anthro sections and that's counting a full-time
      sociologist who teaches anthro but would never join the AAA. Many of the
      people who are focused most intensely on teaching anthro and who presumably
      would want to discuss the hows and whys of it are really at a disadvantage
      under the current AAA structure. Unfortunately, a name change for SACC won't
      help this.

      I know the status of adjuncts in higher ed is an issue that goes way beyond
      us, but I hope as we go forward we can get creative about how to be
      inclusive both of adjuncts and of full-time colleagues who can no longer
      travel for budget reasons. Dianne mentioned getting ready for a
      webinar.maybe we should do more with this kind of technology for a virtual
      conference to supplement the traditional one.or some other creative
      approaches to involve people that do not involve travel or large amounts of
      money. I know the adjunct faculty at my college are expected to have
      "professional development" activities even though there is no financial
      support for them to do so.

      Nina

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
        Brian, would you consider organizing a meeting in your area? Would be fun to be in the NE again.

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
          Nina,

          You are absolutely right. A name change will likely benefit our organization
          because it may draw more members from the pool of people already paying AAA
          dues. However, no name change will really do much to help our colleagues at
          community colleges. This is a problem that we need to continue to address.

          Even those faculty who aren't AAA or SACC members can still come to the
          conferences and participate fully, if they have the resources. However, as
          you point out, those resources are sorely lacking. I will consider
          virtual/digital possibilities for the 2012 conference for those who would
          like to participate but cannot physically be there. Great idea.

          Laura

          _____

          From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
            Hey, I sure second that! I've never been in the Northeast and would love an opportunity to go.
            Lloyd

          • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
              Lloyd, You have too been in the Northeast. I remember a jazz club in
              Boston and fire alarms in the middle of the night chasing us all into
              the streets. Ahh. Sweet SACC memories! -- Dianne

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
                Diane, as usual is absolutely on target with the other forces affecting membership, however, the fact remains that the greatest loss of SACC in my view, will be the loss of a national department, a family of isolated one-professor departments with added adjuncts that needed a collegial support group. Now all small departments are being crushed by the political economy of education in states and the lack of a sane federal government.

                _____

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
                  OMG, is Boston in the Northeast? I had forgotten! I think we "veterans" need to have a "reminiscence" session at the next meetings. So much fun and so much to remember...No longer will I chortle at people who think we grow potatoes in Iowa�Lloyd

                • Dianne C
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
                    Lloyd, Iowa ISN"T the potato capital? What do y'all grow? I know Idaho (or one of those "flyover states" grows corn!

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
                      Iowa grows tractors!

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
                        Ahah, you must have seen some from across the Omaha side of the Bob Kerry Memorial Bridge.