RE: [SACC-L] SACC name change

  • Lynch, Brian M
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
      Even as a full-time person in anthro/soc, I just got professional dues cut from my department budget (which was minimal to begin with). It is now suggested that my professional dues should come out of my allotment of professional development funds. That allotment *might* cover registration and lodging (or part of…) for a single conference, if it is not too far away. So more and more of our professional development and membership dues will have to come out of pocket. It is typical of why, already, I have been able to do little more than envy those attending SACC Fests on the west coast, or those who can travel more than 300 miles from their institutions to attend an annual conference. And it is only getting tighter.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
        Hello,

        I agree with what has been said here about the benefits of a name change.
        Regarding membership numbers, as Mike just said a big hurdle is not only the
        cost of the AAA but also the fact that many of the people teaching
        anthropology at community colleges now are adjuncts who do not have the
        money or time to participate. At my college, full-time faculty teach less
        than a third of the anthro sections and that's counting a full-time
        sociologist who teaches anthro but would never join the AAA. Many of the
        people who are focused most intensely on teaching anthro and who presumably
        would want to discuss the hows and whys of it are really at a disadvantage
        under the current AAA structure. Unfortunately, a name change for SACC won't
        help this.

        I know the status of adjuncts in higher ed is an issue that goes way beyond
        us, but I hope as we go forward we can get creative about how to be
        inclusive both of adjuncts and of full-time colleagues who can no longer
        travel for budget reasons. Dianne mentioned getting ready for a
        webinar.maybe we should do more with this kind of technology for a virtual
        conference to supplement the traditional one.or some other creative
        approaches to involve people that do not involve travel or large amounts of
        money. I know the adjunct faculty at my college are expected to have
        "professional development" activities even though there is no financial
        support for them to do so.

        Nina

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
          Brian, would you consider organizing a meeting in your area? Would be fun to be in the NE again.

[...]

          ----------

        • Laura Gonzalez
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
            Nina,

            You are absolutely right. A name change will likely benefit our organization
            because it may draw more members from the pool of people already paying AAA
            dues. However, no name change will really do much to help our colleagues at
            community colleges. This is a problem that we need to continue to address.

            Even those faculty who aren't AAA or SACC members can still come to the
            conferences and participate fully, if they have the resources. However, as
            you point out, those resources are sorely lacking. I will consider
            virtual/digital possibilities for the 2012 conference for those who would
            like to participate but cannot physically be there. Great idea.

            Laura

            _____

            From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
              Hey, I sure second that! I've never been in the Northeast and would love an opportunity to go.
              Lloyd

            • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
                Lloyd, You have too been in the Northeast. I remember a jazz club in
                Boston and fire alarms in the middle of the night chasing us all into
                the streets. Ahh. Sweet SACC memories! -- Dianne

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
                  Diane, as usual is absolutely on target with the other forces affecting membership, however, the fact remains that the greatest loss of SACC in my view, will be the loss of a national department, a family of isolated one-professor departments with added adjuncts that needed a collegial support group. Now all small departments are being crushed by the political economy of education in states and the lack of a sane federal government.

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 2, 2011
                    OMG, is Boston in the Northeast? I had forgotten! I think we "veterans" need to have a "reminiscence" session at the next meetings. So much fun and so much to remember...No longer will I chortle at people who think we grow potatoes in Iowa�Lloyd

                  • Dianne C
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
                      Lloyd, Iowa ISN"T the potato capital? What do y'all grow? I know Idaho (or one of those "flyover states" grows corn!

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
                        Iowa grows tractors!

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
                          Ahah, you must have seen some from across the Omaha side of the Bob Kerry Memorial Bridge.