Re: Ethical Question

  • LJMil@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 19, 1999
      Ann,
      I think you're ok on this. You've covered the essentials by having the
      students identify themselves if they respond, and protect others' identities
      by not using email monikers in their reports, etc. In my opinion, it's ok to
      lurk and observe, since people corresponding on the Internet know (or should
      know) that they are in public cyberspace. It's not the same as peeping
      through a bathroom or motel room keyhole.
      Lloyd
    • LAWolfe@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 19, 1999
        I lurk often to gain cultural information from various discussions on lists.
        I never presume, however, that I'm particularly reading the "truth." In any
        case I look mostly for themes and practices (and how others respond to these)
        rather than with any interest in exposing the behaviors or identities of
        individuals...

        Leanna Wolfe
        Los Angeles Community Colleges
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 19, 1999
          Leanna, Ann and I are interested in developing a web-based course that would
          have students "lurk", do part.ob. at electronic villages, develop cultural
          informants and apply concepts and methods of cultural anthro. on the
          computer. What do you think? Any ideas or references to suggest?

        • James Stewart
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 19, 1999
            Newsgroups and chatrooms.

            Use dejanews or Remarq to broswe the debates. Dejanews has the added feature of allowing one to view a posting history. The soc.* heirarchy may be informative, or the talk.*. You can use Dejanews's email feature to conduct interviews with participants too without revealing your own address to potential stalkers.

            Email me if you want more information.

            Chat rooms are all over the internet. Finding relevant ones is challenging, though. They are spontaneous, but tend to be dominated by touch typists.

            James Stewart
            jstewart@...

            550 E. Spring St.
            Columbus State Community College
            Columbus, Oh 43215

            614.287.3661 (voice)
            614.287.5301 (fax)

            From: "Lewine, Mark" <Mark.Lewine@...>

            Leanna, Ann and I are interested in developing a web-based course that would
            have students "lurk", do part.ob. at electronic villages, develop cultural
            informants and apply concepts and methods of cultural anthro. on the
            computer. What do you think? Any ideas or references to suggest?

            Did you know that ONElist hosts some of the largest lists on the Internet?
            http://www.ONElist.com
            Our scaleable system is the most reliable free e-mail service on the Internet!
            Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.ccanthro.org for meeting materials, newsletters, etc.
          • Karen Muir
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 20, 1999
              Is that touch typist thing directed at anyone in particular?????

              Karen

              From: "James Stewart" <jstewart@...>

              Newsgroups and chatrooms.

              From: "Lewine, Mark" <Mark.Lewine@...>

              Leanna, Ann and I are interested in developing a web-based course that would
              have students "lurk", do part.ob. at electronic villages, develop cultural
              informants and apply concepts and methods of cultural anthro. on the
              computer. What do you think? Any ideas or references to suggest?

              Show mom you love her. Check out our great Mother's Day Gifts!
              14K Gold and gemstone jewelry, leather and cloth wallets and purses,
              gardening, gourmet, kitchen, more! Free Shipping in the US!
              http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe0
              Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.ccanthro.org for meeting materials, newsletters, etc.