Re: [SACC-L] A Proposal about SACC

    Message 1 of 69 , Aug 1, 2011
      If anyone can find a way to keep our identity as community college anthropologists (the 50% that are left after the current massacre of positions and curricula) AND expand our role as leaders of teaching anthropologists, it is Laura. So, build a new role for us Laura...it probably is time.
      Message 69 of 69 , Aug 11, 2011
        I am one of those people from a 4 year university who has regularly attended
        SACC meetings since the mid 90's, given presentations and contributed to
        SACC Notes several times. My opinion is that anyone teaching introductory
        anthropology courses can benefit from SACC. I certainly have. Attending SACC
        meeetings has led me to incorporating service learning in my classes,
        experimenting with co-operative learning, and developing new courses. The
        wonderful people of SACC are it's core and will remain so even with a name
        change. I believe that it will be much easier for me to persuade colleagues
        to attend the meetings without the community college label. My department
        has seen the benefits of these meetings and has encouraged other faculty to
        attend. They balk at the community college label, but it would benefit them
        tremendously. There are a lot of people out there teaching introductory
        courses who could use some help: we all know that. I think that it would
        help to bring younger members as well. People that are just starting their
        careers. If opening up the organization to all college teaching takes focus
        away from the emphasis on introductory courses that would be unfortunate,
        but that is the strength of SACC and should remain the core emphasis. AND,
        it's just so much durn fun!