RE: [SACC-L] Re: on Will Hare

  • Hare II, William E
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 11, 2011
      Hi,

      I guess I am now the official ethnomusicologist for SACC! :)

      There are lots of great makers of smallpipes and a wide price range. The key of A seems to be the standard for smallpipe gatherings and with fiddles, but the key of D works better with Irish session tunes with whistles, flutes, etc. My set is mouth blown and made from plastic by John Walsh. They are well made and easy to play. His web site is http://www.johnwalshbagpipes.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=278

      Will

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 11, 2011
        Hi,

        Maybe if I can make it to San Diego next spring I will give a talk on bringing music cultures into the classroom. First I have to make sure that Connecticut doesn't cut all of our budget.

        Will

        Hey Will way to go. Just finished a week at the college of bagpipes of Glasgow summer school in carlsbad California. Got a set of MacCallums I play. Going to buy bellows driven small pipes, any suggestions as to brand or type such as key of D or A. Anyway keep up the good work George Rodgers

        GEO

      • Laura Gonzalez
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 11, 2011
          Will,

          It doesn't take much to become official around here...! I mean that in the
          best possible way, of course.

          You are a rock star! I do hope you'll present in San Diego next year. It
          would be great to see you!

          Laura

          _____

          I guess I am now the official ethnomusicologist for SACC! :)

          There are lots of great makers of smallpipes and a wide price range. The key
          of A seems to be the standard for smallpipe gatherings and with fiddles, but
          the key of D works better with Irish session tunes with whistles, flutes,
          etc. My set is mouth blown and made from plastic by John Walsh. They are
          well made and easy to play. His web site is
          http://www.johnwalshbagpipes.com/cart.php?target=category
          <http://www.johnwalshbagpipes.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=278>
          &category_id=278

          Will

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 12, 2011
            Thanks will. This solidifies my decision. I was torn between Walsh or Morrisons. Two of my teachers, Bruce Hitchings former director of British army school of piping and Aaron Shaw of the Wicked Tinkers both recommended John Walsh pipes. Thanks Will hope to see you in San Diego George

            GEO