Re: [SACC-L] on Will Hare

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 11 3:20 PM
      Will, I have a tambura that I brought back from India and needs tuning...any
      suggestions?
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 11 4:39 PM
        Hey Will way to go. Just finished a week at the college of bagpipes of Glasgow summer school in carlsbad California. Got a set of MacCallums I play. Going to buy bellows driven small pipes, any suggestions as to brand or type such as key of D or A. Anyway keep up the good work George Rodgers

        GEO

      • Hare II, William E
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 11 6:28 PM
          Hi Mark,

          Here is a web site that explains basic tambura tuning:

          http://www.mid-east.com/Info/tamburas.html

          Will

          Will, I have a tambura that I brought back from India and needs tuning...any
          suggestions?
          > Hey Will, congratulations! I didn't know you did that. Let us know when
          > your CD is available; I'd like to buy it.
          > Lloyd

          Hi Marc

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11 6:29 PM
            Hi,

            I guess I am now the official ethnomusicologist for SACC! :)

            There are lots of great makers of smallpipes and a wide price range. The key of A seems to be the standard for smallpipe gatherings and with fiddles, but the key of D works better with Irish session tunes with whistles, flutes, etc. My set is mouth blown and made from plastic by John Walsh. They are well made and easy to play. His web site is http://www.johnwalshbagpipes.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=278

            Will

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 11 6:34 PM
              Hi,

              Maybe if I can make it to San Diego next spring I will give a talk on bringing music cultures into the classroom. First I have to make sure that Connecticut doesn't cut all of our budget.

              Will

              Hey Will way to go. Just finished a week at the college of bagpipes of Glasgow summer school in carlsbad California. Got a set of MacCallums I play. Going to buy bellows driven small pipes, any suggestions as to brand or type such as key of D or A. Anyway keep up the good work George Rodgers

              GEO

            • Laura Gonzalez
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 11 6:41 PM
                Will,

                It doesn't take much to become official around here...! I mean that in the
                best possible way, of course.

                You are a rock star! I do hope you'll present in San Diego next year. It
                would be great to see you!

                Laura

                _____

                I guess I am now the official ethnomusicologist for SACC! :)

                There are lots of great makers of smallpipes and a wide price range. The key
                of A seems to be the standard for smallpipe gatherings and with fiddles, but
                the key of D works better with Irish session tunes with whistles, flutes,
                etc. My set is mouth blown and made from plastic by John Walsh. They are
                well made and easy to play. His web site is
                http://www.johnwalshbagpipes.com/cart.php?target=category
                <http://www.johnwalshbagpipes.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=278>
                &category_id=278

                Will

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 12 12:32 PM
                  Thanks will. This solidifies my decision. I was torn between Walsh or Morrisons. Two of my teachers, Bruce Hitchings former director of British army school of piping and Aaron Shaw of the Wicked Tinkers both recommended John Walsh pipes. Thanks Will hope to see you in San Diego George

                  GEO