on Will Hare

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 11, 2011
      http://www.theday.com/article/20110708/USR04/110709657

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 11, 2011
        Hey Will, congratulations! I didn't know you did that. Let us know when your CD is available; I'd like to buy it.
        Lloyd

        On Jul 11, 2011, at 8:27 AM, Kaupp, Ann wrote:

        > http://www.theday.com/article/20110708/USR04/110709657

      • Will
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 11, 2011
          Hi Folks,

          I didn't know they were publishing this! Anyway, I have been teaching a course called World Music/Music Cultures of the World, both traditionally and online. It has been very successful since I started offering it three years ago (with a lot of agony caused by administration....what do they know). I have been collecting musical instruments to use in the classroom.

          The CD will be of solo Irish flute music. I head to Ireland for two weeks in August to pick up a few tunes and record a couple of tracks with some friends.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11, 2011
            Will, I have a tambura that I brought back from India and needs tuning...any
            suggestions?
            > Hey Will, congratulations! I didn't know you did that. Let us know when
            > your CD is available; I'd like to buy it.
            > Lloyd
            >

            > On Jul 11, 2011, at 8:27 AM, Kaupp, Ann wrote:
            >
            >> http://www.theday.com/article/20110708/USR04/110709657

          • George Rodgers
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 11, 2011
              Hey Will way to go. Just finished a week at the college of bagpipes of Glasgow summer school in carlsbad California. Got a set of MacCallums I play. Going to buy bellows driven small pipes, any suggestions as to brand or type such as key of D or A. Anyway keep up the good work George Rodgers

              GEO

            • Hare II, William E
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 11, 2011
                Hi Mark,

                Here is a web site that explains basic tambura tuning:

                http://www.mid-east.com/Info/tamburas.html

                Will

                Will, I have a tambura that I brought back from India and needs tuning...any
                suggestions?
                > Hey Will, congratulations! I didn't know you did that. Let us know when
                > your CD is available; I'd like to buy it.
                > Lloyd

                Hi Marc

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 11, 2011
                  Hi,

                  I guess I am now the official ethnomusicologist for SACC! :)

                  There are lots of great makers of smallpipes and a wide price range. The key of A seems to be the standard for smallpipe gatherings and with fiddles, but the key of D works better with Irish session tunes with whistles, flutes, etc. My set is mouth blown and made from plastic by John Walsh. They are well made and easy to play. His web site is http://www.johnwalshbagpipes.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=278

                  Will

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 11, 2011
                    Hi,

                    Maybe if I can make it to San Diego next spring I will give a talk on bringing music cultures into the classroom. First I have to make sure that Connecticut doesn't cut all of our budget.

                    Will

                    Hey Will way to go. Just finished a week at the college of bagpipes of Glasgow summer school in carlsbad California. Got a set of MacCallums I play. Going to buy bellows driven small pipes, any suggestions as to brand or type such as key of D or A. Anyway keep up the good work George Rodgers

                    GEO

                  • Laura Gonzalez
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 11, 2011
                      Will,

                      It doesn't take much to become official around here...! I mean that in the
                      best possible way, of course.

                      You are a rock star! I do hope you'll present in San Diego next year. It
                      would be great to see you!

                      Laura

                      _____

                      I guess I am now the official ethnomusicologist for SACC! :)

                      There are lots of great makers of smallpipes and a wide price range. The key
                      of A seems to be the standard for smallpipe gatherings and with fiddles, but
                      the key of D works better with Irish session tunes with whistles, flutes,
                      etc. My set is mouth blown and made from plastic by John Walsh. They are
                      well made and easy to play. His web site is
                      http://www.johnwalshbagpipes.com/cart.php?target=category
                      <http://www.johnwalshbagpipes.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=278>
                      &category_id=278

                      Will

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 12, 2011
                        Thanks will. This solidifies my decision. I was torn between Walsh or Morrisons. Two of my teachers, Bruce Hitchings former director of British army school of piping and Aaron Shaw of the Wicked Tinkers both recommended John Walsh pipes. Thanks Will hope to see you in San Diego George

                        GEO