RE: Problems with Teaching Evolution?

  • Anthony Balzano
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
      Ann,

      Houston CC had Brinkman? How cool is that? He is now appearing for the next month Off Broadway.

      Brinkman's work is probably the most effective curriculum enhancement one could do, especially in any area where evolution is attacked. I know SACC had a thread some months ago about (problems with) Teaching Evolution but I don't remember anyone mentioning Brinkman's work as a teaching tool.

      Regards, Tony

      Anthony Balzano, PhD
      Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
      Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
      Sussex County (NJ) Community College
      1 College Hill Rd.
      Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

      abalzano@...
      fonddesblancs2010@...
      SKYPE: anthonybalzano
      SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
      Cell: 973-271-7680

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
        We will need to do that in our Panel in Montreal!

      • Laura Gonzalez
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
          You're going to rap about evolution, Ann? That is so cool!

          Laura

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
            That will take a LOT of practice!!

          • bmuckle@capilanou.ca
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
              Capilano had Brinkman live as well. He was brought in by the English Department last year.

              Envoy� sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le r�seau de Bell.

              Actually, one of our faculty managed to bring "Baba Brinkman" to our
              college.. was great... although I understand that at the other campus
              he had "interesting" reactions!

              There was a NYT article about him just a bit ago.. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/science/28rap.html

              ann

              On Jul 2, 2011, at 1:53 PM, Anthony Balzano wrote:

              > Ann -- Thanks! This is great. By the way, check out Baba Brinkman's
              > Hip-Hop Guide to Evolution -- it is better than I first thought. A
              > couple of the songs are on YouTube and the album is available for
              > $9.99 on iTunes.
              >
              > Anthony Balzano, PhD
              > Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
              > Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
              > Sussex County (NJ) Community College
              > 1 College Hill Rd.
              > Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)
              >
              > abalzano@...
              > fonddesblancs2010@...
              > SKYPE: anthonybalzano
              > SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

            • Carol Hayman
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
                The Origin of Species interpreted by The Genomic Dub Collective in reggae
                dub is pretty good too.

                http://pathogenomics.bham.ac.uk/Dub/

                Carol Hayman
                Professor of Anthropology
                Austin Community College
                Office Hours: MW � 9:00 � 10:00
                223-3403
                RGC 250.1 Annex (1212 Rio Grande)

                Voice Mail: 223-1790 x 22932

              • Laura Gonzalez
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
                  Ha ha, LOL!

                  Laura

                  On Jul 2, 2011, at 3:52 PM, Laura Gonzalez wrote:

                  > You're going to rap about evolution, Ann? That is so cool!
                  >
                  > Laura

                • Anthony Balzano