PGCC Anthropology Position - My Sad Story

  • Nikki Ives
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2011
      Hi All -

      I just wanted to let you know that many of the good ideas about growing the
      anthropology program at Prince George's Community College you all gave me a few
      months back went over quite well in my interview for the full-time faculty
      position. So well that they were all set and ready to offer me the job. Then,
      the county cut $1 million dollars from our proposed budget for FY12 and the dean
      was forced to eliminate 4 of the new positions she had open and reduce the
      remaining ones (I think there were 6 or 8 - I can't remember) from tenure track
      to fixed term. Since the previous anthropology person was only teaching 3
      classes a semester and enrollments were so low, she couldn't justify keeping
      it. So, down the tubes went the full-time anthropology position. I am very
      depressed about this!

      So now I am taking my search nation-wide. I really wanted to stay in this area
      here. I really like the DC area and I just bought a condo here but, I can't
      stand working full time in the eLearning office and trying to teach on the
      side. I've been doing this for 4 years now and I'm at my wits-end. It is too
      exhausting. What I really want to do is teach anthropology so, that's what I'm
      going to try to do full-time.

      If any of you know of any open positions anywhere - please let me know! I'm
      willing to relocate. Also, if any of you here locally know of any good
      part-time jobs that are available - another option would be for me to do that
      and teach more classes as an adjunct.

      Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks again for all of your great ideas. There
      were a number of people on the interview committee who wanted me to not only
      come to their classes and talk about anthropology but also teach my evolution
      lesson, which is what I used for my teaching demo.

      So, that's my sad story. Don't party too hard this 4th of July/Canada Day
      weekend!

      Nikki

    • Ann Bragdon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2011
        The position is not posted yet, but Houston Community College should
        be posting a
        full time anthropology position in the next week or so. It is
        required to be posted for 2 weeks.

        https://www.hccsjobs.com/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1309617271926

      • Anthropmor
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2011
          Did you try the triple a website, as well as the Chronicle of Higher Ed?
          Good Luck
          Mike Pavlik

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2011
            Nikki,

            My experience tells me that if you don't let the bastards get you down and you follow your passions you will land on your feet: So, shit happens -- don't be insulted -- it is not about you. Do what you must to realize your dreams -- You will succeed!

            Anthony Balzano, PhD
            Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
            Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
            Sussex County (NJ) Community College
            1 College Hill Rd.
            Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

            abalzano@...
            fonddesblancs2010@...
            SKYPE: anthonybalzano
            SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
            Cell: 973-271-7680

[...]

          • alisonanthropology
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2011
              Hi Nikki-
              Feel free to email me off list-serv. I'd be more than happy to pass along tips that have helped me with job searching and even forward some job opening options to consider if you're so interested. That is especially true for options so that you can stay in D.C. :)

              I mean, I'm already looking for openings in that same area (as well as nation-wide), so it takes no extra time on my part to send along once I know a little more info from you (hence the request to email off list).

              I'm sorry that the process went the way it did for you!

              -Alison

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5, 2011
                Nikki,

                What a bummer! I'm so sorry that happened. Sadly, it's happening all too often nationwide, but that certainly doesn't offer any comfort. I second Tony's sentiments (though I know it's easier to say than to do): don't take it personally; it's not about you. I'm pretty much out of the loop anymore but if I hear of an opening, I'll sure let you know.

                Best of luck,
                Lloyd

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2011
                  Nikki, I was hoping to let you know about some positions that I knew were
                  coming up from retired colleagues as well as my own, but NONE of them are
                  being filled right now...I actually heard that my college president asked my
                  Dean the following: "but how is anthropology relevant to our changing
                  needs"? (STEM, etc.) This is from an English lit Ph.D...I am using all of
                  these examples for an article.