Check this interview with "anthropologist" David Graeber

  • Ann Bragdon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2011
      http://www.democracynow.org/appearances/david_graeber

      Hundreds of Thousands of Greek and British Workers Stage Strikes As
      Governments Push Austerity Cuts

      More than 750,000 British public sector workers staged a 24-hour
      strike Thursday in a stand-off with the government�s plans to reform
      public sector pensions. The reforms come as the government tries to
      trim its deficit and would require public workers to work longer, pay
      more toward their pension and receive less upon retirement. Meanwhile
      in Greece, thousands of workers staged a 48-hour strike and many took
      to the streets after the Greek Parliament approved a raft of austerity
      measures that include spending cuts, tax increases and privatizations
      as a condition for a massive bailout to avert the Eurozone�s first
      default. �There is a common theme to the protests that are taking
      place across Europe, and that is not just the public sector workers
      defending their pension rights, but also a generation of young people
      for whom quite a stark picture is being painted of their future,� says
      our guest Paul Mason, an economics editor for BBC Newsnight who just
      returned from reporting in Greece. We also speak with David Graeber,
      author of "Debt: The First 5,000 Years." �Most revolutions in our
      history have been about debt,� says Graeber. �It is a perennial tool
      by those who are powerful to make the victims of structural
      inequalities feel that it is somehow their fault.� [Includes rush
      transcript]

    • Anthony Balzano
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2011
        Ann -- Thanks! This is great. By the way, check out Baba Brinkman's Hip-Hop Guide to Evolution -- it is better than I first thought. A couple of the songs are on YouTube and the album is available for $9.99 on iTunes.

        Anthony Balzano, PhD
        Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
        Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
        Sussex County (NJ) Community College
        1 College Hill Rd.
        Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

        abalzano@...
        fonddesblancs2010@...
        SKYPE: anthonybalzano
        SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
        Cell: 973-271-7680

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2011
          Anthony..
          Actually, one of our faculty managed to bring "Baba Brinkman" to our
          college.. was great... although I understand that at the other campus
          he had "interesting" reactions!

          There was a NYT article about him just a bit ago.. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/science/28rap.html

          ann