Ethical Question

  • Ann Popplestone
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17, 1999
      I am working with a less-computer-literate colleague to design a
      sophomore-level Cultural field work course where the students will be
      required to subscribe to a number of e-mail lists and report on their
      observations of dialogue patterns, folkways, communication rituals etc.

      My question is this:

      It is certainly possible to "lurk" on a list and observe without the
      participants being aware that the researcher is there, or at least not
      aware that they are being researched. Would it be considered ethical for
      an anthropologist/student to do so? Or does good professional conduct
      require the researcher to "come out of the closet?"

      This type of research is one of the few cases where an anthropologist has
      some chance of not tripping over the Heisenberg principle.

      Students will be instructed to identify themselves to the list moderator if
      they have to go through an application process and to identify themselves
      if they post inqueries, but is it acceptable for a researcher to withhold
      information while observing on an automated list?

      The students will be instructed to protect their subjects' privacy by
      removing identifying details from posts included in the final write-up.

      Thanks in advance.

      Ann Popplestone
      Cuyahoga Community College
      Cleveland OH USA
    • LJMil@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 19, 1999
        Ann,
        I think you're ok on this. You've covered the essentials by having the
        students identify themselves if they respond, and protect others' identities
        by not using email monikers in their reports, etc. In my opinion, it's ok to
        lurk and observe, since people corresponding on the Internet know (or should
        know) that they are in public cyberspace. It's not the same as peeping
        through a bathroom or motel room keyhole.
        Lloyd
      • LAWolfe@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 19, 1999
          I lurk often to gain cultural information from various discussions on lists.
          I never presume, however, that I'm particularly reading the "truth." In any
          case I look mostly for themes and practices (and how others respond to these)
          rather than with any interest in exposing the behaviors or identities of
          individuals...

          Leanna Wolfe
          Los Angeles Community Colleges
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 19, 1999
            Leanna, Ann and I are interested in developing a web-based course that would
            have students "lurk", do part.ob. at electronic villages, develop cultural
            informants and apply concepts and methods of cultural anthro. on the
            computer. What do you think? Any ideas or references to suggest?

          • James Stewart
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 19, 1999
              Newsgroups and chatrooms.

              Use dejanews or Remarq to broswe the debates. Dejanews has the added feature of allowing one to view a posting history. The soc.* heirarchy may be informative, or the talk.*. You can use Dejanews's email feature to conduct interviews with participants too without revealing your own address to potential stalkers.

              Email me if you want more information.

              Chat rooms are all over the internet. Finding relevant ones is challenging, though. They are spontaneous, but tend to be dominated by touch typists.

              James Stewart
              jstewart@...

              550 E. Spring St.
              Columbus State Community College
              Columbus, Oh 43215

              614.287.3661 (voice)
              614.287.5301 (fax)

              From: "Lewine, Mark" <Mark.Lewine@...>

              Leanna, Ann and I are interested in developing a web-based course that would
              have students "lurk", do part.ob. at electronic villages, develop cultural
              informants and apply concepts and methods of cultural anthro. on the
              computer. What do you think? Any ideas or references to suggest?

              Did you know that ONElist hosts some of the largest lists on the Internet?
              http://www.ONElist.com
              Our scaleable system is the most reliable free e-mail service on the Internet!
              Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.ccanthro.org for meeting materials, newsletters, etc.
            • Karen Muir
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 20, 1999
                Is that touch typist thing directed at anyone in particular?????

                Karen

                From: "James Stewart" <jstewart@...>

                Newsgroups and chatrooms.

                From: "Lewine, Mark" <Mark.Lewine@...>

                Leanna, Ann and I are interested in developing a web-based course that would
                have students "lurk", do part.ob. at electronic villages, develop cultural
                informants and apply concepts and methods of cultural anthro. on the
                computer. What do you think? Any ideas or references to suggest?

                Show mom you love her. Check out our great Mother's Day Gifts!
                14K Gold and gemstone jewelry, leather and cloth wallets and purses,
                gardening, gourmet, kitchen, more! Free Shipping in the US!
                http://www.onelist.com/ad/shoptheglobe0
                Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.ccanthro.org for meeting materials, newsletters, etc.