RE: [SACC-L] Native house photo?

  • Anthony Balzano
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2011
      Bob:

      This site may have what you are looking for: http://www.lenapelifeways.org/

      Anthony Balzano, PhD
      Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
      Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
      Sussex County (NJ) Community College
      1 College Hill Rd.
      Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

      abalzano@...
      fonddesblancs2010@...
      SKYPE: anthonybalzano
      SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
      Cell: 973-271-7680

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 24, 2011
          Tony,

          Thanks for the link in regard to my photo request. My computer won't let me open the link right now, but I will try later.

          What I am really hoping is that someone has a photo that I can use for free. The cost of using images is getting ridiculous. I know that commerical image providers have to make a buck, but now the high fees are starting to make there way into the non-profits as well, being rationalized as making a profit on the photos to subsisdize other parts of their ventures. Even getting photos that are in the public domain are getting expensive, if one wants to use them in a book.

          Anyway, thanks again for the link. A few people have sent me photos off-list and I have a few of my own to consider (although I want to avoid a west coast bias). I will get help from an editor helping me choose which photos to use.

          As for the postal strike, I don't know when it is going to end. I think the Canadian government is in the process of legislating them back now. However, the postal workers in Canada have a long history of being pretty defiant. Unfortunately, it appears the public is siding with the government. I understand that the contract they are now trying to impose under legislation is for less than what they were offering during negotiations. We have a very right wing federal government now. For the past several years, Stephen Harper and his cronies in the Conservative party have been held in check because they didn't have a majority. Since the recent election where the Conservatives won a majority, the shackles are off. It's a shame. In my opinion.

          Bob

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 25, 2011
            Bob, you might check out Smithsonian's images. Url may be www.siris.si.edu<http://www.siris.si.edu/>

            ________________________________
            Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
            Sussex County (NJ) Community College
            1 College Hill Rd.
            Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

            abalzano@...<mailto:abalzano%40sussex.edu>
            fonddesblancs2010@...<mailto:fonddesblancs2010%40ymail.com>
            SKYPE: anthonybalzano
            SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 25, 2011
              The Library of Congress also has a digital image collection. You may have to throw a couple of different key words at it, but the collection is quite good and many of the photos are out of copyright.

              http://www.loc.gov/pictures/

              Anj

              ------------
              Andrew J Petto, PhD
              Senior Lecturer
              Department of Biological Sciences
              University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
              PO Box 413
              Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
              CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
              Telephone: 414-229-6784
              FAX: 414-229-3926

              *************
              *************

              -- Pat Conroy
              The Prince of Tides

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 26, 2011
                Bob,

                The site -- Lenapelifeways -- is managed by archaeologists continuing the work Herb Kraft started on Pre-Contact Lenape. I would think they would allow you use of their images gratis, with citations of course. The site has photos of reconstructed shelters from the Pre-Contact period.

                I also noticed that the website triggers virus software -- what else can you expect from archaeologists (you know with all those trowels, the mud, dirty fingernails, etc.)? If you can't access it soon I can ask my viral-infested (and very fine) archeo colleagues how else you might contact the Lenapelifeways people.

                I have been trying to mail documents to my (recently emigrated) Haitian informants in Montreal and the US post will not accept anything going to Okanada (Kreyol). And my congratulations (if appropriate) to all Canucks on the their dollar -- only 94 Canadian cents for a US dollar! It's only Labatt's for me from now on.

                Love the Vancouver hockey-riot photo (you know the one)!

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 26, 2011
                  I was wondering if it would be possible to visit one of the tons of Indian
                  reservations in San Diego County (not necessarily one with a casino!) during the
                  SACC meeting next year. Laura, do you have any connections?

                  BTW, we were looking forward to PR, but not to the cost of getting the two of us
                  there, so we're (Bill and I) are fine with San Diego--we love it there!