RE: [SACC-L] Important Puerto Rico Meeting Information

  • Anthony Balzano
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 21, 2011
      Air fares are high all over. I just checked a flight from Newark to Missoula (for this August) and the cheapest, with 2 extended lay-overs, is $790 (I remember a similar flight a few years ago for about $500.). If I want the flight I am used to, with one stop in Denver leaving Newark in late morning, then the price is $1530!

      Flights to Haiti, where I do my research, have gone up over 50% in the past year. Normally we could fly from NY to Port-au-Prince for around $425-$475, now you cannot find a fare for less than $725.

      I am planning on driving the 7 hours to Montreal (from NJ) for AAA in November rather than flying.

      I would think that high air fares are not a good reason for changing locations, some are always going to be paying higher or lower fares than others. If we wanted to level the air fare costs we should always have meetings in major air hubs away from the East or West coasts such as Chicago, St. Louis, Houston, Denver or Minneapolis.

      Anthony Balzano, PhD
      Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
      Chair, Dept. of Social Sciences & History
      Sussex County (NJ) Community College
      1 College Hill Rd.
      Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

      abalzano@...
      fonddesblancs2010@...
      SKYPE: anthonybalzano
      SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
      Cell: 973-271-7680

      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 21, 2011
        I think (without checking) that a flight from Des Moines would add at least $100 to the Chicago O'Hare fare. I hate to fly anymore. But if you "build it (in PR) I will come."

        However, I do love sunny San Diego and can drive there, so I'm cool with either choice.

        Lloyd

        On Jun 20, 2011, at 10:47 PM, lauratgonzalez wrote:

        > To all folks considering attending our next SACC Fest scheduled for Puerto Rico in June 2012,
        >
        > Unfortunately, the concerns I expressed at the Omaha meetings about the high price of airfare to Puerto Rico are growing. With cuts in flights to the Caribbean and the high price of jet fuel, fares are higher than I've seen them in a very long time.
        >
        > For instance, a cursory look at the cheapest fares on Expedia.com results in round trip fares from $325 from JFK to a staggering $1500 from Vancouver (i.e. the flights that leave at 6:00 am and/or get in after midnight where you bring your own dinner and parachute out of the plane as it flies over your destination).
        >
        > Here is a sampling of a few more of these so-called "cheapest" fares from major hubs: Denver $565; Atlanta $370; San Diego $592; Chicago O'Hare $627. This is not promising for anyone flying from a smaller airport first, or with an additional person, or who would like spending money when they arrive, or for anyone on a teacher's salary.
        >
        > I would love to continue planning this meeting in Puerto Rico, and I know how much you want to go. The alternative would be to plan a fantastic meeting in sunny San Diego. I will dance salsa and speak Spanish the entire time to give you the feeling we are in the Caribbean.
        >
        > I would like to open this up to you for consideration and discussion. Please check fares from your area, and let me know if you would be totally disappointed were we to meet in San Diego this year.
        >
        > It would just mean that I'll have to plan another conference in PR in the future...
        >
        > Laura

      • Philip Stein
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 21, 2011
          We have had great conferences in great places, including Canada and Mexico. I would love to visit Puerto Rico. However, I'm concerned about the low turnout in Omaha (it was also a great conference!) and our declining membership numbers. These are difficult economic times and SACC really needs to reach out to our unemployed and underemployed colleagues. San Diego would draw from a large number of community colleges, all within driving distance. I really think that this needs to be a strategic decision. We also need some data, perhaps a survey to see exactly how many would travel to Puerto Rico. (Count me in!)Phil

          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 21, 2011
            Hello All-
            Just to note: Carla Fernandez cfernandez@... can help you quite a
            bit in site selection and let you know things that have worked well and
            things that have not for other sections.

            Kathleen

            On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Philip Stein <stein39@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > We have had great conferences in great places, including Canada and Mexico.
            > I would love to visit Puerto Rico. However, I'm concerned about the low
            > turnout in Omaha (it was also a great conference!) and our declining
            > membership numbers. These are difficult economic times and SACC really needs
            > to reach out to our unemployed and underemployed colleagues. San Diego would
            > draw from a large number of community colleges, all within driving distance.
            > I really think that this needs to be a strategic decision. We also need some
            > data, perhaps a survey to see exactly how many would travel to Puerto Rico.
            > (Count me in!)Phil

            Kathleen Terry-Sharp
            Director, Academic Relations
            Director, Practicing and Applied Programs
            American Anthropological Association
            2200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 600
            Arlington, VA 22201
            Tel: (888) 393-1141, Fax: (703) 528-3546
            web: www.aaanet.org

          • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 21, 2011
              I would LOVE to go to P.R., partly because I love the special treatment we get when we travel with SACC. However, Phil makes a very good point about reaching out to a larger group.

              BTW, I just watched the Spencer Tracy, Mickey Rooney movie, “Boys Town.” It was terrific and particularly interesting since we had just visited. Some of the movie was filmed onsite.

              Cheers!

              Dianne

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 21, 2011
                I'm saving my money for PR but I wouldn't stay away from San Diego ...

                Tad

                --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, <dianne.chidester@...> wrote:

                > I would LOVE to go to P.R., partly because I love the special treatment we get when we travel with SACC. However, Phil makes a very good point about reaching out to a larger group.
                >

                > BTW, I just watched the Spencer Tracy, Mickey Rooney movie, “Boys Town.” It was terrific and particularly interesting since we had just visited. Some of the movie was filmed onsite.
                >

                > Cheers!
                >
                > Dianne

              • Frank Lagana
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 21, 2011
                  For what it's worth, I think that Puerto Rico would
                  be an ideal place for next year's meeting....if nothing else the music is much better than anything in San Diego.
                  Airfares are going to be expensive for some of us no matter where we wind up.

                  frank (in the wilds for north Dakota at the moment)8

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 21, 2011
                    Ditto for me...San Diego is great also for me...hopefully for us...

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 21, 2011
                      My view of our membership drop is this: many full-time positions in
                      anthropology were filled when community colleges were growing fast...many
                      SACC members were hired then and are now retired or retiring soon...WE ARE
                      NOT BEING REPLACED within this current political economy in which resources
                      are prioritized in the following order: college corporate executives, their
                      management infrastructure and consultants, then STEM fields, then required
                      subjects, then large departments, then small departments (but there is
                      nothing left at this end of the list). So, SACC Omaha was populated by
                      retirees, the few full-timers left, the few dedicated part-timers with other
                      resources, and a remnant of newish full-timers who got tenure before the
                      mess started or by some quirk of fate. So, I suggest we combine the last two
                      suggestions, Laura, and do a quick survey of likely participants for a
                      Puerto Rico meeting, (Tony and other regional SACCers help with area
                      distribution) and for a San Diego meeting alternative (making sure to
                      circulate in California) and let's see...
                      > bit in site selection and let you know things that have worked well and
                      > things that have not for other sections.
                      >
                      > Kathleen
                      >
                      > On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Philip Stein <stein39@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> **
                      >>

                      >> We have had great conferences in great places, including Canada and
                      >> Mexico.
                      >> I would love to visit Puerto Rico. However, I'm concerned about the low
                      >> turnout in Omaha (it was also a great conference!) and our declining
                      >> membership numbers. These are difficult economic times and SACC really
                      >> needs
                      >> to reach out to our unemployed and underemployed colleagues. San Diego
                      >> would
                      >> draw from a large number of community colleges, all within driving
                      >> distance.
                      >> I really think that this needs to be a strategic decision. We also need
                      >> some
                      >> data, perhaps a survey to see exactly how many would travel to Puerto
                      >> Rico.
                      >> (Count me in!)Phil

                    • Bob Muckle
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                        I would be pleased to go to a SACCfest in sunny San Diego.

                        Bob

                        >>> "lauratgonzalez" <ltgonzalez@...> 6/20/2011 8:47 PM >>>
                        To all folks considering attending our next SACC Fest scheduled for Puerto Rico in June 2012,

                        Unfortunately, the concerns I expressed at the Omaha meetings about the high price of airfare to Puerto Rico are growing. With cuts in flights to the Caribbean and the high price of jet fuel, fares are higher than I've seen them in a very long time.

                        For instance, a cursory look at the cheapest fares on Expedia.com results in round trip fares from $325 from JFK to a staggering $1500 from Vancouver (i.e. the flights that leave at 6:00 am and/or get in after midnight where you bring your own dinner and parachute out of the plane as it flies over your destination).

                        Here is a sampling of a few more of these so-called "cheapest" fares from major hubs: Denver $565; Atlanta $370; San Diego $592; Chicago O'Hare $627. This is not promising for anyone flying from a smaller airport first, or with an additional person, or who would like spending money when they arrive, or for anyone on a teacher's salary.

                        I would love to continue planning this meeting in Puerto Rico, and I know how much you want to go. The alternative would be to plan a fantastic meeting in sunny San Diego. I will dance salsa and speak Spanish the entire time to give you the feeling we are in the Caribbean.

                        I would like to open this up to you for consideration and discussion. Please check fares from your area, and let me know if you would be totally disappointed were we to meet in San Diego this year.

                        It would just mean that I'll have to plan another conference in PR in the future...

                        Laura
                      • kent morris
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                          there's a lot of really cool rooftop lounges in San Diego...Another great reason...

                          I would be pleased to go to a SACCfest in sunny San Diego.

                          Bob

                          >>> "lauratgonzalez" <ltgonzalez@...> 6/20/2011 8:47 PM >>>
                          To all folks considering attending our next SACC Fest scheduled for Puerto Rico in June 2012,

                          Unfortunately, the concerns I expressed at the Omaha meetings about the high price of airfare to Puerto Rico are growing. With cuts in flights to the Caribbean and the high price of jet fuel, fares are higher than I've seen them in a very long time.

                          For instance, a cursory look at the cheapest fares on Expedia.com results in round trip fares from $325 from JFK to a staggering $1500 from Vancouver (i.e. the flights that leave at 6:00 am and/or get in after midnight where you bring your own dinner and parachute out of the plane as it flies over your destination).

                          Here is a sampling of a few more of these so-called "cheapest" fares from major hubs: Denver $565; Atlanta $370; San Diego $592; Chicago O'Hare $627. This is not promising for anyone flying from a smaller airport first, or with an additional person, or who would like spending money when they arrive, or for anyone on a teacher's salary.

                          I would love to continue planning this meeting in Puerto Rico, and I know how much you want to go. The alternative would be to plan a fantastic meeting in sunny San Diego. I will dance salsa and speak Spanish the entire time to give you the feeling we are in the Caribbean.

                          I would like to open this up to you for consideration and discussion. Please check fares from your area, and let me know if you would be totally disappointed were we to meet in San Diego this year.

                          It would just mean that I'll have to plan another conference in PR in the future...

                          Laura

                        • Ann Bragdon
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                            I would not be able to attend the PR SACCfest in part because of its
                            timing... cannot travel in June, so the possibility of an earlier
                            meeting is encouraging. Also, the possibility of visiting the SD Zoo
                            has a lot of appeal!
                            ann

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                              Wow, I had forgotten about the SD Zoo. That's world-class! Already I'm excited if we go there.
                              Lloyd

                            • Gilliland, Mary
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                                I can easily get to San Diego, and would absolutely attend. I would love to go to PR and think it would benefit many of us in the classroom (but then so might Laura speaking in Spanish and dancing the salsa - that has to be something we can capture on video and sprinkle into our classes, no?). I personally might not be able to get to PR but if that is SACC's choice, I will still try my hardest and am likely to attend. The bigger question is the overall size of the group who might get there, so thank you Laura for polling the group. You are always so thorough, and I'm sure that whatever conference you plan, wherever, will be wonderful.

                                Mary K. Gilliland
                                Pima Community College

                                Wow, I had forgotten about the SD Zoo. That's world-class! Already I'm excited if we go there.
                                Lloyd

                                On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:28 PM, Ann Bragdon wrote:

                                > I would not be able to attend the PR SACCfest in part because of its
                                > timing... cannot travel in June, so the possibility of an earlier
                                > meeting is encouraging. Also, the possibility of visiting the SD Zoo
                                > has a lot of appeal!
                                > ann
                                >

                                > On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:23 PM, kent morris wrote:
                                >
                                >> there's a lot of really cool rooftop lounges in San Diego...Another
                                >> great reason...

                              • kent morris
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                                  and the rest of Balboa Park--and don't forget snorkeling and the La Valencia Hotel in beautiful La Jolla...

                                  Wow, I had forgotten about the SD Zoo. That's world-class! Already I'm excited if we go there.
                                  Lloyd

                                  On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:28 PM, Ann Bragdon wrote:

                                  > I would not be able to attend the PR SACCfest in part because of its
                                  > timing... cannot travel in June, so the possibility of an earlier
                                  > meeting is encouraging.  Also, the possibility of visiting the SD Zoo
                                  > has a lot of appeal!
                                  > ann
                                  >

                                  > On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:23 PM, kent morris wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> there's a lot of really cool rooftop lounges in San Diego...Another
                                  >> great reason...

                                • Lori Barkley
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                                    I had planned to attend PR, both the location & the time of year worked well.
                                    Lori

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                                      I will go to either location. The flights from Minneapolis to San Juan are not too pricey at this time. I can very well appreciate that Puerto Rico planning is a major challenge.

                                      Deborah

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                                        I will go to either location. The flights from Minneapolis to San Juan are not too pricey at this time. I can very well appreciate that Puerto Rico planning is a major challenge.

                                        Deborah

                                        I had planned to attend PR, both the location & the time of year worked well.
                                        Lori

                                        >>> "Gilliland, Mary" <mkgilliland@...<mailto:mkgilliland%40pima.edu><mailto:mkgilliland%40pima.edu>> 22/06/2011 11:55 am >>>

                                        I can easily get to San Diego, and would absolutely attend. I would love to go to PR and think it would benefit many of us in the classroom (but then so might Laura speaking in Spanish and dancing the salsa - that has to be something we can capture on video and sprinkle into our classes, no?). I personally might not be able to get to PR but if that is SACC's choice, I will still try my hardest and am likely to attend. The bigger question is the overall size of the group who might get there, so thank you Laura for polling the group. You are always so thorough, and I'm sure that whatever conference you plan, wherever, will be wonderful.

                                        Mary K. Gilliland
                                        Pima Community College

                                        Wow, I had forgotten about the SD Zoo. That's world-class! Already I'm excited if we go there.
                                        Lloyd

                                        On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:28 PM, Ann Bragdon wrote:

                                        > I would not be able to attend the PR SACCfest in part because of its
                                        > timing... cannot travel in June, so the possibility of an earlier
                                        > meeting is encouraging. Also, the possibility of visiting the SD Zoo
                                        > has a lot of appeal!
                                        > ann
                                        >

                                        > On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:23 PM, kent morris wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> there's a lot of really cool rooftop lounges in San Diego...Another
                                        >> great reason...

                                      • Leatha Johnson
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                                          I believe it would be prudent to go to San Diego over Puerto Rico. As mentioned if we are trying increase membership, if might behoove us to have a meeting location in the contiguous 48 at least at this time. I also like the summertime for meetings. I believe it would be easier to attend and require fewer people to have to make some rather complex arrangements for classes. The NCGE is meeting in August this year and it should be very well attended.

                                          Mel Johnson

                                          To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: deborah.shepherd@...
                                          Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:29:34 +0000

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                                            I am wondering whether Laura, with her incredible skill with contemporary digital communication, might be able to stream some of that salsa our way via Youtube or other device? Let me know in advance so I can prepare properly please. Mark
                                            I can easily get to San Diego, and would absolutely attend. I would love to go to PR and think it would benefit many of us in the classroom (but then so might Laura speaking in Spanish and dancing the salsa - that has to be something we can capture on video and sprinkle into our classes, no?). I personally might not be able to get to PR but if that is SACC's choice, I will still try my hardest and am likely to attend. The bigger question is the overall size of the group who might get there, so thank you Laura for polling the group. You are always so thorough, and I'm sure that whatever conference you plan, wherever, will be wonderful.

                                            Mary K. Gilliland
                                            Pima Community College

                                            Wow, I had forgotten about the SD Zoo. That's world-class! Already I'm excited if we go there.
                                            Lloyd

                                            On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:28 PM, Ann Bragdon wrote:

                                            > I would not be able to attend the PR SACCfest in part because of its
                                            > timing... cannot travel in June, so the possibility of an earlier
                                            > meeting is encouraging. Also, the possibility of visiting the SD Zoo
                                            > has a lot of appeal!
                                            > ann
                                            >

                                            > On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:23 PM, kent morris wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> there's a lot of really cool rooftop lounges in San Diego...Another
                                            >> great reason...

                                          • Rebecca Cramer
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                                              Not having made the last two meetings, I'm a bit reluctant to chime in.   With that lame introduction, let me say that PR would be sweet.    Haven't been there before and was planning my 2012 calendar around seeing it and all my SACC buddies again.
                                              Laura and others make great points, though, and San Diego would suit me just fine.   In fact, like Lloyd, I would probably drive.
                                              I also think SD would draw a crowd of westerners and southwesterners from adjoining states.
                                              In addition to the fab zoo, Balboa hosts 15 different museums, among them one devoted to anthropology.
                                              Laura, I have a few hotel/restaurant suggestions if/when you do the planning.
                                              Either way, I'm in.
                                              Beca
                                              ==============
                                              Rebecca Cramer
                                              missiontosonora@...
                                              http://rcramer.web.arizona.edu

                                              I am wondering whether Laura, with her incredible skill with contemporary digital communication, might be able to stream some of that salsa our way via Youtube or other device? Let me know in advance so I can prepare properly please. Mark
                                              I can easily get to San Diego, and would absolutely attend. I would love to go to PR and think it would benefit many of us in the classroom (but then so might Laura speaking in Spanish and dancing the salsa - that has to be something we can capture on video and sprinkle into our classes, no?). I personally might not be able to get to PR but if that is SACC's choice, I will still try my hardest and am likely to attend. The bigger question is the overall size of the group who might get there, so thank you Laura for polling the group. You are always so thorough, and I'm sure that whatever conference you plan, wherever, will be wonderful.

                                              Mary K. Gilliland
                                              Pima Community College

                                              Wow, I had forgotten about the SD Zoo. That's world-class! Already I'm excited if we go there.
                                              Lloyd

                                              On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:28 PM, Ann Bragdon wrote:

                                              > I would not be able to attend the PR SACCfest in part because of its
                                              > timing... cannot travel in June, so the possibility of an earlier
                                              > meeting is encouraging. Also, the possibility of visiting the SD Zoo
                                              > has a lot of appeal!
                                              > ann
                                              >

                                              > On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:23 PM, kent morris wrote:
                                              >
                                              >> there's a lot of really cool rooftop lounges in San Diego...Another
                                              >> great reason...

                                            • Pam Ford
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                                                San Diego is a snap for me. I probably would not be able to go to PR.

                                                ~Pam Ford

                                                and the rest of Balboa Park--and don't forget snorkeling and the La Valencia Hotel in beautiful La Jolla...

                                                Wow, I had forgotten about the SD Zoo. That's world-class! Already I'm excited if we go there.
                                                Lloyd

                                                On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:28 PM, Ann Bragdon wrote:

                                                > I would not be able to attend the PR SACCfest in part because of its
                                                > timing... cannot travel in June, so the possibility of an earlier
                                                > meeting is encouraging.  Also, the possibility of visiting the SD Zoo
                                                > has a lot of appeal!
                                                > ann
                                                >

                                                > On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:23 PM, kent morris wrote:
                                                >
                                                >> there's a lot of really cool rooftop lounges in San Diego...Another
                                                >> great reason...

                                              • Nikki Ives
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                                                  Isn't this a year away? We have a year to save up for it. I think because it
                                                  is so long from now, canceling because airfare is high now is not a good
                                                  reason. I say plan it and everyone will have a year to start saving up for it.

                                                  I will not admit how much I just paid to go to Tanzania - it was a lot and it
                                                  hurt - but it was SO worth it. The memories of my travels will last far longer
                                                  than my empty bank account.

                                                  Here's a thought - and I don't know anything at all about this so, this may be a
                                                  dumb thought but - would it be possible to use a travel agent and do some sort
                                                  of group deal? Would that get us any kind of discount??

                                                  Just my 2 cents!

                                                  Nikki

                                                  ________________________________

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                                                    Also, I just checked - it is actually cheaper (and closer) for me to go to
                                                    Puerto Rico than San Diego...the selfish me says Puerto Rico all the way!

                                                    ________________________________

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                                                      The group deal idea just might help. If we all could meet up in Florida at one of the vacation locations where domestic discounted flights are common (Miami?), and then we traveled r/t as a group to PR, after which everyone would return home from that FL location--would that work?

                                                      ________________________________

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                                                        I think for Westerners breaking up the flight that way will add costs even with group rate from FL but worth a check.

                                                        Mary K. Gilliland
                                                        Sent from my iPhone

                                                      • Chuck & Gail Ellenbaum
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                                                          The prices are very high and would keep many of us from attending.
                                                          San Diego would be a great place to meet. If the AAA is not a problem
                                                          any more, Chicago is a great city to have SACCFest at. Air fares are
                                                          not high, world class museums and zoos, great architecture and
                                                          lakefront, lots of music venues, theater, and many other things of
                                                          interest.

                                                          Chuck