Re: [SACC-L] Global Education Buzz and Anthropology?

  • Sydney Hart
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2011
      Wright College in Chicago has also been getting into global education. We started a global studies program several years ago and, while we're limited by our articulation agreement, we do have a wide variety of classes including global content. I've done some work in Sociology on this topic--including presenting stuff about how to globalize the sociology introductory courses, but haven't done much in Anthropology since it seems so self-evident there.

      Sydney

      Sydney Hart, Ph.D.
      Co-Chair, Social Sciences Department
      Assistant Professor, Sociology, Anthropology, and Global Studies
      Wilbur Wright College
      4300 North Narragansett Avenue
      Chicago, Illinois 60634
      >>> "Nina Brown" <nina@...> 05/25/11 9:21 PM >>>
      Hello,

      I'm wondering if anyone else is teaching at a college that is getting into
      "global education" in a big way and if so what you think about the
      experience? At my cc, the administration has set "global citizenship" as a
      top priority and now everyone is rushing around trying to make all classes
      "globalized." Personally, I find it kind of strange and sometimes disturbing
      to see my colleagues (in math, chemistry, English, etc) holding forth on
      cultural diversity and the like and not always in a terribly informed way.
      On the other hand, we have been talking here on this list about how
      anthropology needs to sell itself to administrators so the new interest in
      all things global could be an opportunity for anthropology to show its
      value.

      So far, my own experience with this has been mixed.some opportunities to
      raise the profile of anthropology mixed with lots of frustration seeing
      other disciplines encroaching on topics that I think are anthropology's
      "turf."

      I would be really interested in hearing from anyone who has noticed the
      effects of the global education push. I was thinking about working something
      up for SACC Notes, but I don't know if this kind of thing is actually
      happening at other colleges.

      Thanks for any input,

      Nina