RE: [SACC-L] Fw: Video about how "gamifying" education and the classroom

    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2011
      I enjoyed the video, too. It suggests some potentially good ways to re-think teaching. Our online teaching platform seems to incorporate motivational aspects by giving us means to make students' progress from one assignment to the next based on completing specified criteria. That way, both scores and progress throughout the course are part of the end grade result. Unfortunately, without deadlines, many students can't finish assignments. Plus, unless I taught only online, I'd never have the time to devote to devising such a complex project, at least on the college level. I don't grasp how it adapts to the classroom where I always have to teach simultaneously. In the classroom, students need to progress at the same rate.

      I also don't believe that giving all students a bonus when one student solves the problem to be useful at any educational level. Not only do many students then sit back waiting for the solution to appear, but the ones who are most competitive will often become happy to gain the fame and prestige given to the problem solver. The entire student group needs to be competitive, and in gaming communities, that's undoubtedly true. Gamers who join communities are serious about what they are doing and will compete or join forces for a collaborative solution as they see fit. In classrooms, this behavior is not universal.

      If anyone can see how to get around those problems, I'd like to know. Perhaps it is best if students are set up to "compete" with themselves. In some math classes (where the supply of number problems for testing is nearly unlimited), students are told to keep taking a chapter quiz (which changes everytime they take it) until they get a score that is at least 90% or whatever the instructor demands. Once they've achieved that, they can move on to the next quiz, i.e., level.