RE: [SACC-L] Re: end of anthro program at my community college

    Message 1 of 19 , May 9, 2011
      Lloyd, could be an interesting article for SACC notes on how to get college officials on board over the importance and fascination with this field. Might even use it as a "how to." Ann

      Message 2 of 19 , May 9, 2011
        Ann-Great idea...but how about something for AN, as well. Smaller
        anthropology programs are facing similar issues.

        KTS

        On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Kaupp, Ann <kauppa@...> wrote:

        > Lloyd, could be an interesting article for SACC notes on how to get college
        > officials on board over the importance and fascination with this field.
        > Might even use it as a "how to." Ann

        Director, Academic Relations
        Director, Practicing and Applied Programs
        American Anthropological Association
        2200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 600
        Arlington, VA 22201
        Tel: (888) 393-1141, Fax: (703) 528-3546
        web: www.aaanet.org

      • kent morris
        Message 3 of 19 , May 9, 2011
          mmm...nice suggestion, Ann...

          Message 4 of 19 , May 15, 2011
            Ann and Kathleen,

            I agree. It might be a useful article for both AN and SACC Notes. Maybe I can piece together the threads from the listserv discussion and perhaps solicit additional comments.

            Lloyd

          • George Thomas
            Message 5 of 19 , May 16, 2011
              Main concerns might be:
              1. The tricky proposition of re-iterating the nature and scope of this beast, "anthropology" to administrators, business leaders and politicans without making it seem like an exercise in scolding the very folks who view themselves as the adults in this conversation, and ramming our "touchy-feely" discipline (to use a currently popular political hee-haw) "down their throats."  Remember: Anthropologists are the outsiders here.

              2. Make lists of main themes which the businessification of anthropology crowd appear to be pushing.  Devise trains of argument to appeal to the many different camps within that crowd.  For example, if a group of English Lit professionals can be identified, stress the fact that anthropological method is pluralistic, ranging from hypothesis testing exercises, nearly to literary critique.  Who knows: Maybe, to the chagrin of social work departments and archaeologists, anthropology might find itself cross-listed with English, and both boats might end up sinking together as "useless" subjects are eventually cut.  Just think how happy construction businesses will be!

              3. ..... Oh never mind.

              One main advantage to anthropology the way it has been up until about ten years ago is that politics and business tended to leave it alone.  A disadvantage to this advantage was sometimes that anthros seldom considered what bidness wonks call "best business practices."  I worked for a time administering contracts for an archaeologist who ran his operation in terms of one of the slogan-ridden fads of business akin to what used to be called "Zero Defects."  (I believe they moved away from "Zero Defects" because it is stiflingly naive).  But anyway, the system WORKED, and he got archaeological mitigation projects done, analyzed and published with much less confusion and extra effort than usual.
              At least he claimed that was the case.

              I guess my main point might be that there are ways of meeting those ignorant bidness geeks half-way, and adopting some methods of running the battleship (however one defines "battleship"), WITHOUT compromising the discipline.  Anthro might even gain a reputation for diplomacy.
              Somewhere I have a quote suggesting a reputation which anthropology has among (some.... around 1986) foreign policy geeks.  Still looking for it.  It ain't good.

              Re: end of anthro program at my community college
                  Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@...
                  Date: Sun May 15, 2011 9:56 pm ((PDT))

              Ann and Kathleen,