RE: [SACC-L] Re: end of anthro program at my community college

  • Dianne C
    Message 1 of 19 , May 9, 2011
      Mark, You might also try to get some of the "movers and shakers" to sit in on a class. As Lloyd mentioned, many of them have no idea what anthropology is. Also, so of them think that since they've seen a National Geographic program, they know what anthropology is. I just went through "observation" where a higher up sits in on a lecture in order to give advice on teaching. The person who observed my class (we are run by "hard science" people) told me she had never had an anthro class and really had not idea what it was about. I really thought I'd get called on the carpet for not using technology in the classroom but instead was told how interesting anthro is and that the observer "would like to sit in on a class again."

      Cheers!
      Dianne

> [...]
      >
      > I plan to re-write that piece I sent you (from the TAO OF ANTHROPOLOGY) for SACC Notes to make it short, sweet and intelligible to the lay public, even college presidents, but as I've written elsewhere, the value of anthropology is hard to sell to people who haven't taken an anthro course, and tends to embarrass them for their ignorance. Also, some of what we teach (as you've written before) threatens the goals and wishes of the powerful to maintain control over others.
      >
      > Lloyd
      >

      > On May 7, 2011, at 9:38 AM, George Thomas wrote:
      >
      > > All suggested possible openings into this issue, the serious as well as the flippant ones, have been good. I wonder if English Lit interests are as influenced by postmodernism as anthropological theory seems to hint. If postmodernists reject Western positivist science in favor of "literary criticism," collaborative research etc., all having possibilities for excellent new views on research, methods, etc., why would English departments close off anthropology departments altogether? It would probably be a dead end to approach such administrators with this kind of notion, but one can dream. Visualize new age anthro departments personned by nobody but deconstructionists.
      > > Just a passing, frivolous thought...
      > > But at base, all this seems related to the political movement ongoing within the past few months aimed at cutting ed. and retooling curricula to suit political fad. Texas seems bent on cutting research and retooling the U of TX to a degree/jobs mill.
      > >
      > > 1a. Re: end of anthro program at my community college
      > > Posted by: "Lewine, Mark" mark.lewine@...
      > > Date: Fri May 6, 2011 2:16 pm ((PDT))
      > >
      > > Well said Kip. Two patterns that I have observed in this situation may interest you and others:
      > > My current campus president is a former English Lit. professor and I have found over my forty years in academia that English profs in power show two disturbing trends that have caused harm to anthropology : a lack of understanding or even appreciation for the contributions of social sciences to academics or education, and a sense of empowerment over students and colleagues due to the mandated requirements accorded English curricula in the system while the rest of us struggle to survive. (they tend to act like empowered gate-keepers of Western civilization and "college" culture)

    • kent morris
      Message 2 of 19 , May 9, 2011
        excellent!

        Message 3 of 19 , May 9, 2011
          Dianne, you're so right! Truly, if we could sit all the decision makers down in our classrooms, we'd gain some supporters.

          Each year the dean would come to class for that obligatory "evaluation" (really a performance, right—I mean, how could he or she tell if my students were truly learning by one hour of classroom observation)? Anyway, I would always pull out an "interesting" lecture that involved students in Socratic-style Q and A. Evolution theory, evolution vs. creationism, or marriage and family were favorites depending on where we were in the semester. Invariably, the dean would become engrossed and begin exhibiting student behavior. One of them over the years, a former English prof, would soon be raising her hand to answer the questions I would pose, having apparently forgotten who she was and why she was there.

          Another, a former chemistry prof, found "social" science in general fascinating. He apparently had never imagined that the "science" he so easily applied to his subject could also inform our understanding of human behavior. As a result of these visits, he would occasionally ask me my take on things and really listen to what I said. He might have even given me more credit than deserved for my insights, and without immodesty, I did not disabuse him of his views. Unfortunately, neither the president nor academic vice-president sat in on classes.

          Cheers!
          Lloyd

          Message 4 of 19 , May 9, 2011
            Lloyd, could be an interesting article for SACC notes on how to get college officials on board over the importance and fascination with this field. Might even use it as a "how to." Ann

> [...]

            > 1a. Re: end of anthro program at my community college
            > Posted by: "Lewine, Mark" mark.lewine@...
            > Date: Fri May 6, 2011 2:16 pm ((PDT))
            >
            > Well said Kip. Two patterns that I have observed in this situation may interest you and others:
            > My current campus president is a former English Lit. professor and I have found over my forty years in academia that English profs in power show two disturbing trends that have caused harm to anthropology : a lack of understanding or even appreciation for the contributions of social sciences to academics or education, and a sense of empowerment over students and colleagues due to the mandated requirements accorded English curricula in the system while the rest of us struggle to survive. (they tend to act like empowered gate-keepers of Western civilization and "college" culture)

          • Kathleen Terry-Sharp
            Message 5 of 19 , May 9, 2011
              Ann-Great idea...but how about something for AN, as well. Smaller
              anthropology programs are facing similar issues.

              KTS

              On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Kaupp, Ann <kauppa@...> wrote:

              > Lloyd, could be an interesting article for SACC notes on how to get college
              > officials on board over the importance and fascination with this field.
              > Might even use it as a "how to." Ann

              Kathleen Terry-Sharp
              Director, Academic Relations
              Director, Practicing and Applied Programs
              American Anthropological Association
              2200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 600
              Arlington, VA 22201
              Tel: (888) 393-1141, Fax: (703) 528-3546
              web: www.aaanet.org

            • kent morris
              Message 6 of 19 , May 9, 2011
                mmm...nice suggestion, Ann...

                Message 7 of 19 , May 15, 2011
                  Ann and Kathleen,

                  I agree. It might be a useful article for both AN and SACC Notes. Maybe I can piece together the threads from the listserv discussion and perhaps solicit additional comments.

                  Lloyd

                • George Thomas
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 16, 2011
                    Main concerns might be:
                    1. The tricky proposition of re-iterating the nature and scope of this beast, "anthropology" to administrators, business leaders and politicans without making it seem like an exercise in scolding the very folks who view themselves as the adults in this conversation, and ramming our "touchy-feely" discipline (to use a currently popular political hee-haw) "down their throats."  Remember: Anthropologists are the outsiders here.

                    2. Make lists of main themes which the businessification of anthropology crowd appear to be pushing.  Devise trains of argument to appeal to the many different camps within that crowd.  For example, if a group of English Lit professionals can be identified, stress the fact that anthropological method is pluralistic, ranging from hypothesis testing exercises, nearly to literary critique.  Who knows: Maybe, to the chagrin of social work departments and archaeologists, anthropology might find itself cross-listed with English, and both boats might end up sinking together as "useless" subjects are eventually cut.  Just think how happy construction businesses will be!

                    3. ..... Oh never mind.

                    One main advantage to anthropology the way it has been up until about ten years ago is that politics and business tended to leave it alone.  A disadvantage to this advantage was sometimes that anthros seldom considered what bidness wonks call "best business practices."  I worked for a time administering contracts for an archaeologist who ran his operation in terms of one of the slogan-ridden fads of business akin to what used to be called "Zero Defects."  (I believe they moved away from "Zero Defects" because it is stiflingly naive).  But anyway, the system WORKED, and he got archaeological mitigation projects done, analyzed and published with much less confusion and extra effort than usual.
                    At least he claimed that was the case.

                    I guess my main point might be that there are ways of meeting those ignorant bidness geeks half-way, and adopting some methods of running the battleship (however one defines "battleship"), WITHOUT compromising the discipline.  Anthro might even gain a reputation for diplomacy.
                    Somewhere I have a quote suggesting a reputation which anthropology has among (some.... around 1986) foreign policy geeks.  Still looking for it.  It ain't good.

                    Re: end of anthro program at my community college
                        Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@...
                        Date: Sun May 15, 2011 9:56 pm ((PDT))

                    Ann and Kathleen,