Re: end of anthro program at my community college

  • George Thomas
    Message 1 of 19 , May 7, 2011
      All suggested possible openings into this issue, the serious as well as the flippant ones, have been good. I wonder if English Lit interests are as influenced by postmodernism as anthropological theory seems to hint. If postmodernists reject Western positivist science in favor of "literary criticism," collaborative research etc., all having possibilities for excellent new views on research, methods, etc., why would English departments close off anthropology departments altogether?  It would probably be a dead end to approach such administrators with this kind of notion, but one can dream. Visualize new age anthro departments personned by nobody but deconstructionists.
      Just a passing, frivolous thought...
      But at base, all this seems related to the political movement ongoing within the past few months aimed at cutting ed. and retooling curricula to suit political fad.  Texas seems bent on cutting research and retooling the U of TX to a degree/jobs mill.

      1a. Re: end of anthro program at my community college
          Posted by: "Lewine, Mark" mark.lewine@...
          Date: Fri May 6, 2011 2:16 pm ((PDT))

      Well said Kip.  Two patterns that I have observed in this situation may interest you and others:
      My current campus president is a former English Lit. professor and I have found over my forty years in academia that English profs in power show two disturbing trends that have caused harm to anthropology : a lack of understanding or even appreciation for the contributions of social sciences to academics or education, and a sense of empowerment over students and colleagues due to the mandated requirements accorded English curricula in the system while the rest of us struggle to survive. (they tend to act like empowered gate-keepers of Western civilization and "college" culture)

        _____

      Message 2 of 19 , May 7, 2011
        Mark,

        I'm so sorry to hear what's happening to anthropology at Tri-C. Something similar took place at DMACC when I retired. I gave the dean job description recommendations for my replacement as he requested, but the (then) president denied the position. Three years later, my son (a full-time English instructor at DMACC's Urban Campus) wrote an email to the new president stating, in essence, that as the college seeks to expand its "cultural diversity" in both students and curriculum, it will hardly be credible if it doesn't have a full-time anthropologist on staff. He also explained who I was and that he was my son (for full disclosure)�the new president had not met me. The president emailed Sam back saying he'd look into it. The following fall, Dennis was hired. Several long-time colleagues suggested that the previous president's denial was payback to me for all the years I was active in the faculty association, edited the association newsletter and refused to be a "team player."

        I agree with George that all the suggestions made to your original message hold promise. Tony's recommendation for corralling influential people to direct political action will produce the results if it's workable. Bob's ideas for emphasizing the practical and job-related nature of cultural resource management and contract archaeology are also promising, and are often the most persuasive arguments to community college bigwigs after direct political clout. I used to introduce anthropology to my students by showing them that anthropology dealt with the first 99 percent of human history, from the earliest prosimians to the first civilizations of Mesopotamia, when Western Civ history courses began. It impressed them, but of course they weren't in control of curriculum.

        I plan to re-write that piece I sent you (from the TAO OF ANTHROPOLOGY) for SACC Notes to make it short, sweet and intelligible to the lay public, even college presidents, but as I've written elsewhere, the value of anthropology is hard to sell to people who haven't taken an anthro course, and tends to embarrass them for their ignorance. Also, some of what we teach (as you've written before) threatens the goals and wishes of the powerful to maintain control over others.

        Lloyd

        Message 3 of 19 , May 8, 2011
          Thanks Lloyd, George, Bob, Pat and everyone else who has tried to be helpful
          and supportive during these hard times...the more I look into it,
          unfortunately, there does seem to be a national trend hitting small
          departments in general and anthropology in particular throughout the
          country...it is not an accident that SACC is shrinking fast in membership.
          The tough challenges of shrinking resources with sharply increased student
          numbers in our community colleges is being met in this miserable time period
          by the spread of corporate management culture with Republican political
          influences. It is absolutely worse in Ohio than almost anywhere as we now
          have a legislature and governor (formerly Lehman Brothers exec) supporting
          unregulated private charter schools (with terrible track records for
          students but terrific funding histories for Republican politicians). This
          trend has spread almost everywhere and there are few if any leaders willing
          to buck the trends. I therefore decided to use this national situation to
          shed a spotlight on my state and college in order to put the decisions about
          to be made by the execs here in the public eye. I have sent the following
          note to my college president and campus president informing them that I am
          using our college and state as an illustration of community college trends
          for our national Task Force with a hint of a future article to be published:
          (I share this so others might use it for their own state or local situation)

          I have recently been empowered by the American Anthropology Association to
          be "point" person for community college education on its Task Force on
          Education. Currently, I have found from my colleague network and other
          sources that there has been a sharp reduction nationally of full-time
          faculty in relatively small but significant departments like anthropology in
          even large community colleges. This disturbing trend seems in part due to a
          demonstrably dysfunctional divisional structure in community college
          organization that traditionally referenced secondary schools rather than
          colleges. A case can easily be made that anthropology is critical for
          occupational as well as academic preparation in this current global society
          of the 21st century, but is mired in a divisional structure which may
          prevent diverse and dynamic curricular development in our community
          colleges.

          In fact, I am about to make this case nationally on behalf of the AAA, and
          will be using our college as a case illustrating the current patterns. Our
          Tri-C Metro campus anthropology program demonstrated enough relevance and
          excellence to grow from 1 to 15 sections per term after appointing a
          full-time professor and program coordinator to lead. The program grew while
          receiving several awards for its quality including the 2006 Carnegie Award,
          League for Innovation award, NISOD award, SACC award. Yet immediately after
          the coordinator's retirement, our system failed to support it by appointing
          a new full-time leader, though supporting a new full-time position would
          still have resulted in an almost 2/3 savings over the salary of the retired
          veteran professor while investing in qualitative excellence for the future.
          This scenario is being played out throughout the nation's community colleges
          right now and we at Tri-C represent an excellent illustration of these
          trends. I expect that Tri-C with its county as well as state support and
          national prominence will again serve to lead rather than follow the trends
          and help our students succeed with professional faculty and curricular
          excellence. I hope that you will be supportive of this work and perhaps
          accept my requests for research interviews in the future.
> [...]

          > the U of TX to a degree/jobs mill.
          >
          > 1a. Re: end of anthro program at my community college
          > Posted by: "Lewine, Mark" mark.lewine@...
          > Date: Fri May 6, 2011 2:16 pm ((PDT))
          >
          > Well said Kip. Two patterns that I have observed in this situation may
          > interest you and others:
          > My current campus president is a former English Lit. professor and I have
          > found over my forty years in academia that English profs in power show two
          > disturbing trends that have caused harm to anthropology : a lack of
          > understanding or even appreciation for the contributions of social
          > sciences to academics or education, and a sense of empowerment over
          > students and colleagues due to the mandated requirements accorded English
          > curricula in the system while the rest of us struggle to survive. (they
          > tend to act like empowered gate-keepers of Western civilization and

        • Dianne C
          Message 4 of 19 , May 9, 2011
            Mark, You might also try to get some of the "movers and shakers" to sit in on a class. As Lloyd mentioned, many of them have no idea what anthropology is. Also, so of them think that since they've seen a National Geographic program, they know what anthropology is. I just went through "observation" where a higher up sits in on a lecture in order to give advice on teaching. The person who observed my class (we are run by "hard science" people) told me she had never had an anthro class and really had not idea what it was about. I really thought I'd get called on the carpet for not using technology in the classroom but instead was told how interesting anthro is and that the observer "would like to sit in on a class again."

            Cheers!
            Dianne

> [...]
            > >
            > > 1a. Re: end of anthro program at my community college
            > > Posted by: "Lewine, Mark" mark.lewine@...
            > > Date: Fri May 6, 2011 2:16 pm ((PDT))
            > >
            > > Well said Kip. Two patterns that I have observed in this situation may interest you and others:
            > > My current campus president is a former English Lit. professor and I have found over my forty years in academia that English profs in power show two disturbing trends that have caused harm to anthropology : a lack of understanding or even appreciation for the contributions of social sciences to academics or education, and a sense of empowerment over students and colleagues due to the mandated requirements accorded English curricula in the system while the rest of us struggle to survive. (they tend to act like empowered gate-keepers of Western civilization and "college" culture)

          • kent morris
            Message 5 of 19 , May 9, 2011
              excellent!

              Message 6 of 19 , May 9, 2011
                Dianne, you're so right! Truly, if we could sit all the decision makers down in our classrooms, we'd gain some supporters.

                Each year the dean would come to class for that obligatory "evaluation" (really a performance, right—I mean, how could he or she tell if my students were truly learning by one hour of classroom observation)? Anyway, I would always pull out an "interesting" lecture that involved students in Socratic-style Q and A. Evolution theory, evolution vs. creationism, or marriage and family were favorites depending on where we were in the semester. Invariably, the dean would become engrossed and begin exhibiting student behavior. One of them over the years, a former English prof, would soon be raising her hand to answer the questions I would pose, having apparently forgotten who she was and why she was there.

                Another, a former chemistry prof, found "social" science in general fascinating. He apparently had never imagined that the "science" he so easily applied to his subject could also inform our understanding of human behavior. As a result of these visits, he would occasionally ask me my take on things and really listen to what I said. He might have even given me more credit than deserved for my insights, and without immodesty, I did not disabuse him of his views. Unfortunately, neither the president nor academic vice-president sat in on classes.

                Cheers!
                Lloyd

                Message 7 of 19 , May 9, 2011
                  Lloyd, could be an interesting article for SACC notes on how to get college officials on board over the importance and fascination with this field. Might even use it as a "how to." Ann

> [...]

                  > 1a. Re: end of anthro program at my community college
                  > Posted by: "Lewine, Mark" mark.lewine@...
                  > Date: Fri May 6, 2011 2:16 pm ((PDT))
                  >
                  > Well said Kip. Two patterns that I have observed in this situation may interest you and others:
                  > My current campus president is a former English Lit. professor and I have found over my forty years in academia that English profs in power show two disturbing trends that have caused harm to anthropology : a lack of understanding or even appreciation for the contributions of social sciences to academics or education, and a sense of empowerment over students and colleagues due to the mandated requirements accorded English curricula in the system while the rest of us struggle to survive. (they tend to act like empowered gate-keepers of Western civilization and "college" culture)

                • Kathleen Terry-Sharp
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 9, 2011
                    Ann-Great idea...but how about something for AN, as well. Smaller
                    anthropology programs are facing similar issues.

                    KTS

                    On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Kaupp, Ann <kauppa@...> wrote:

                    > Lloyd, could be an interesting article for SACC notes on how to get college
                    > officials on board over the importance and fascination with this field.
                    > Might even use it as a "how to." Ann

                    Kathleen Terry-Sharp
                    Director, Academic Relations
                    Director, Practicing and Applied Programs
                    American Anthropological Association
                    2200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 600
                    Arlington, VA 22201
                    Tel: (888) 393-1141, Fax: (703) 528-3546
                    web: www.aaanet.org

                  • kent morris
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 9, 2011
                      mmm...nice suggestion, Ann...

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 15, 2011
                        Ann and Kathleen,

                        I agree. It might be a useful article for both AN and SACC Notes. Maybe I can piece together the threads from the listserv discussion and perhaps solicit additional comments.

                        Lloyd

                      • George Thomas
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 16, 2011
                          Main concerns might be:
                          1. The tricky proposition of re-iterating the nature and scope of this beast, "anthropology" to administrators, business leaders and politicans without making it seem like an exercise in scolding the very folks who view themselves as the adults in this conversation, and ramming our "touchy-feely" discipline (to use a currently popular political hee-haw) "down their throats."  Remember: Anthropologists are the outsiders here.

                          2. Make lists of main themes which the businessification of anthropology crowd appear to be pushing.  Devise trains of argument to appeal to the many different camps within that crowd.  For example, if a group of English Lit professionals can be identified, stress the fact that anthropological method is pluralistic, ranging from hypothesis testing exercises, nearly to literary critique.  Who knows: Maybe, to the chagrin of social work departments and archaeologists, anthropology might find itself cross-listed with English, and both boats might end up sinking together as "useless" subjects are eventually cut.  Just think how happy construction businesses will be!

                          3. ..... Oh never mind.

                          One main advantage to anthropology the way it has been up until about ten years ago is that politics and business tended to leave it alone.  A disadvantage to this advantage was sometimes that anthros seldom considered what bidness wonks call "best business practices."  I worked for a time administering contracts for an archaeologist who ran his operation in terms of one of the slogan-ridden fads of business akin to what used to be called "Zero Defects."  (I believe they moved away from "Zero Defects" because it is stiflingly naive).  But anyway, the system WORKED, and he got archaeological mitigation projects done, analyzed and published with much less confusion and extra effort than usual.
                          At least he claimed that was the case.

                          I guess my main point might be that there are ways of meeting those ignorant bidness geeks half-way, and adopting some methods of running the battleship (however one defines "battleship"), WITHOUT compromising the discipline.  Anthro might even gain a reputation for diplomacy.
                          Somewhere I have a quote suggesting a reputation which anthropology has among (some.... around 1986) foreign policy geeks.  Still looking for it.  It ain't good.

                          Re: end of anthro program at my community college
                              Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@...
                              Date: Sun May 15, 2011 9:56 pm ((PDT))

                          Ann and Kathleen,