end of anthropology program

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2011
      Further to the potential end of the anthropology program at Cayuhoga,

      I found the chapter on the economics of anthropology/archaeology in the U.S. . It is a very short chapter in a large publication pdf of the monograph can be downloaded at
      http://ace-archaeology.eu/fichiers/25Archaeology-and-the-crisis.pdf

      The chapter of interest is 'The effects of the global recession on cultural resources management in the United States' by Jeffrey H. Altschul. It is only four pages, but includes useful data and sources. Highlights include a 33% increase in federal spending on CRM from 2003-2008;and in 2008 total expenditures on archaeology (including both CRM and academic) in the U.S. was close to one billion dollars. And remember, this is in times of "economic crisis'.

      The chapter includes some on-line sources of data from branches of government and from the American Cultural Resources Association. It also has one print source cited that may be useful:

      Altschul, Jeffrey H. and Thomas C. Patterson. 2010. Trends in Employment and Training in American Archaeology. In 'Voices in American Archaeology', edited by Wendy Ashmore, Dorothy T. Lippert, and Barabar J. Mills, pp. 291-316. SAA Press, Washington, DC.

      I also recall Lawrence Moore has written a few articles in the 'SAA Archaeology Record' in the past several years on the future of archaeology. They may be worth checking out. The 'SAA Archaeological Record' is a periodical of the Society for American Archaeology, but I think it is available on-line to everybody.

      I also agree with a political strategy, suggested by Tony. I think administrators need to know there will be some resistance. And if they see a lot potential resistance and if the resistance includes some concern expressed by not only the scholarly community, but also the business community and strategic allies (eg. local and national CRM firms?), then they may re-think and choose an easier path.

      Also, I think letters of support of the Anthropology program from the presidents of the AAA, SACC, SHA, and SAA would be useful.