RE: [SACC-L] end of anthro program at my community college

  • dianne.chidester@gvltec.edu
    Message 1 of 19 , May 5 8:21 AM
      This is from 1999 but still may help a bit. -- Dianne

      Hot asset: Anthropology degrees

      By Del Jones, USA TODAY

      Don't throw away the MBA degree yet.

      But as companies go global and crave leaders for a diverse workforce, a
      new hot degree is emerging for aspiring executives: anthropology.

      The study of man is no longer a degree for museum directors. Citicorp
      created a vice presidency for anthropologist Steve Barnett, who
      discovered early warning signs to identify people who don't pay credit
      card bills.

      Not satisfied with consumer surveys, Hallmark is sending anthropologists
      into the homes of immigrants, attending holidays and birthday parties to
      design cards they'll want.

      No survey can tell engineers what women really want in a razor, so
      marketing consultant Hauser Design sends anthropologists into bathrooms
      to watch them shave their legs.

      Unlike MBAs, anthropology degrees are rare: one undergraduate degree for
      every 26 in business and one anthropology Ph.D. for every 235 MBAs.

      Textbooks now have chapters on business applications. The University of
      South Florida has created a course of study for anthropologists headed
      for commerce.

      Motorola corporate lawyer Robert Faulkner got his anthropology degree
      before going to law school. He says it becomes increasingly valuable as
      he is promoted into management.

      "When you go into business, the only problems you'll have are people
      problems," was the advice given to teen-ager Michael Koss by his father
      in the early 1970s.

      Koss, now 44, heeded the advice, earned an anthropology degree from
      Beloit College in 1976, and is today CEO of the Koss headphone
      manufacturer.

      Katherine Burr, CEO of The Hanseatic Group, has masters in both
      anthropology and business from the University of New Mexico. Hanseatic
      was among the first money management programs to predict the Asian
      crisis and last year produced a total return of 315% for investors.

      "My competitive edge came completely out of anthropology," she says.
      "The world is so unknown, changes so rapidly. Preconceptions can kill
      you."

      Companies are starving to know how people use the Internet or why some
      pickups, even though they are more powerful, are perceived by consumers
      as less powerful, says Ken Erickson, of the Center for Ethnographic
      Research.

      It takes trained observation, Erickson says. Observation is what
      anthropologists are trained to do.

    • Kip Waldo
      Message 2 of 19 , May 5 12:57 PM
        Mark,

        I am sorry to hear that all your efforts face this assault.

        I think the suggestions that have been made are good in buttressing your case. But, it will probably take more than a good argument, otherwise this kind of action wouldn't be taken. Who, in this day and age could question anthropology's contribution to our understanding of how humans occupy this planet and how we might find the way to continue?

        I know you have built some powerful alliances over the years and have students who have benefited enormously from the program. If they can be mobilized, in any way, via emails, letters to the president and Board of Trustees (assuming that you have one) and maybe attend a Board meeting to voice their concerns and use every means they can muster, including press coverage, that could probably have an impact. Obviously you want to be supportive of the integrity and the mission of the college etc., etc. while conducting such a campaign which will allow your corporate shill to join the parade.

        All the best to you.

        kip

        Kip Waldo
        Anthropology Instructor
        Chabot College
        25555 Hesperian Blvd.
        Hayward, CA 94545

        kwaldo@...
        voice 510.723.6980

        >>> "Mark Lewine" <mlewine@...> 05/04/11 3:08 PM >>>
        Our corporate president of what used to be a great community college has again decided to diminish anthropology in our time of resource scarcity...understand that my college, Cuyahoga Community College, has both a state support and a county levy support, that has kept us in financial stability while others suffer more. My 'replacement', Beth Hoag, has only a one term emergency lectureship that ends in May, has been doing the program coordinator work for free, now it is being done by a History professor. We have just learned that they will not even continue the lectureship. That means that the Anthro program at Tri-C, with its 15 sections of cultural, physical, archaeology, with its urban historical archaeology program, with its national awards for serving students, will now diminish with no support. She and the History prof. will fight for it and have asked for help in spelling out clearly "what could a full time anthro person do that a soc. or history person couldn't in terms of the anthro program and associate's degree" and "why do we need a full-time anthropology professor at a community college". Please send me answers that I can give to her from you...a national case will help, they no longer listen to me. Thanks, Mark

        Message 3 of 19 , May 6 2:16 PM
          Well said Kip. Two patterns that I have observed in this situation may interest you and others:
          My current campus president is a former English Lit. professor and I have found over my forty years in academia that English profs in power show two disturbing trends that have caused harm to anthropology : a lack of understanding or even appreciation for the contributions of social sciences to academics or education, and a sense of empowerment over students and colleagues due to the mandated requirements accorded English curricula in the system while the rest of us struggle to survive. (they tend to act like empowered gate-keepers of Western civilization and "college" culture)

          _____

[...]

          kwaldo@... <mailto:kwaldo%40chabotcollege.edu>
          voice 510.723.6980

          >>> "Mark Lewine" <mlewine@... <mailto:mlewine%40wowway.com> > 05/04/11 3:08 PM >>>
          Our corporate president of what used to be a great community college has again decided to diminish anthropology in our time of resource scarcity...understand that my college, Cuyahoga Community College, has both a state support and a county levy support, that has kept us in financial stability while others suffer more. My 'replacement', Beth Hoag, has only a one term emergency lectureship that ends in May, has been doing the program coordinator work for free, now it is being done by a History professor. We have just learned that they will not even continue the lectureship. That means that the Anthro program at Tri-C, with its 15 sections of cultural, physical, archaeology, with its urban historical archaeology program, with its national awards for serving students, will now diminish with no support. She and the History prof. will fight for it and have asked for help in spelling out clearly "what could a full time anthro person do that a soc. or history person couldn't in terms of the anthro program and associate's degree" and "why do we need a full-time anthropology professor at a community college". Please send me answers that I can give to her from you...a national case will help, they no longer listen to me. Thanks, Mark

        • George Thomas
          Message 4 of 19 , May 7 7:38 AM
            All suggested possible openings into this issue, the serious as well as the flippant ones, have been good. I wonder if English Lit interests are as influenced by postmodernism as anthropological theory seems to hint. If postmodernists reject Western positivist science in favor of "literary criticism," collaborative research etc., all having possibilities for excellent new views on research, methods, etc., why would English departments close off anthropology departments altogether?  It would probably be a dead end to approach such administrators with this kind of notion, but one can dream. Visualize new age anthro departments personned by nobody but deconstructionists.
            Just a passing, frivolous thought...
            But at base, all this seems related to the political movement ongoing within the past few months aimed at cutting ed. and retooling curricula to suit political fad.  Texas seems bent on cutting research and retooling the U of TX to a degree/jobs mill.

            1a. Re: end of anthro program at my community college
                Posted by: "Lewine, Mark" mark.lewine@...
                Date: Fri May 6, 2011 2:16 pm ((PDT))

            Message 5 of 19 , May 7 5:55 PM
              Mark,

              I'm so sorry to hear what's happening to anthropology at Tri-C. Something similar took place at DMACC when I retired. I gave the dean job description recommendations for my replacement as he requested, but the (then) president denied the position. Three years later, my son (a full-time English instructor at DMACC's Urban Campus) wrote an email to the new president stating, in essence, that as the college seeks to expand its "cultural diversity" in both students and curriculum, it will hardly be credible if it doesn't have a full-time anthropologist on staff. He also explained who I was and that he was my son (for full disclosure)�the new president had not met me. The president emailed Sam back saying he'd look into it. The following fall, Dennis was hired. Several long-time colleagues suggested that the previous president's denial was payback to me for all the years I was active in the faculty association, edited the association newsletter and refused to be a "team player."

              I agree with George that all the suggestions made to your original message hold promise. Tony's recommendation for corralling influential people to direct political action will produce the results if it's workable. Bob's ideas for emphasizing the practical and job-related nature of cultural resource management and contract archaeology are also promising, and are often the most persuasive arguments to community college bigwigs after direct political clout. I used to introduce anthropology to my students by showing them that anthropology dealt with the first 99 percent of human history, from the earliest prosimians to the first civilizations of Mesopotamia, when Western Civ history courses began. It impressed them, but of course they weren't in control of curriculum.

              I plan to re-write that piece I sent you (from the TAO OF ANTHROPOLOGY) for SACC Notes to make it short, sweet and intelligible to the lay public, even college presidents, but as I've written elsewhere, the value of anthropology is hard to sell to people who haven't taken an anthro course, and tends to embarrass them for their ignorance. Also, some of what we teach (as you've written before) threatens the goals and wishes of the powerful to maintain control over others.

              Lloyd

              Message 6 of 19 , May 8 9:12 PM
                Thanks Lloyd, George, Bob, Pat and everyone else who has tried to be helpful
                and supportive during these hard times...the more I look into it,
                unfortunately, there does seem to be a national trend hitting small
                departments in general and anthropology in particular throughout the
                country...it is not an accident that SACC is shrinking fast in membership.
                The tough challenges of shrinking resources with sharply increased student
                numbers in our community colleges is being met in this miserable time period
                by the spread of corporate management culture with Republican political
                influences. It is absolutely worse in Ohio than almost anywhere as we now
                have a legislature and governor (formerly Lehman Brothers exec) supporting
                unregulated private charter schools (with terrible track records for
                students but terrific funding histories for Republican politicians). This
                trend has spread almost everywhere and there are few if any leaders willing
                to buck the trends. I therefore decided to use this national situation to
                shed a spotlight on my state and college in order to put the decisions about
                to be made by the execs here in the public eye. I have sent the following
                note to my college president and campus president informing them that I am
                using our college and state as an illustration of community college trends
                for our national Task Force with a hint of a future article to be published:
                (I share this so others might use it for their own state or local situation)

                I have recently been empowered by the American Anthropology Association to
                be "point" person for community college education on its Task Force on
                Education. Currently, I have found from my colleague network and other
                sources that there has been a sharp reduction nationally of full-time
                faculty in relatively small but significant departments like anthropology in
                even large community colleges. This disturbing trend seems in part due to a
                demonstrably dysfunctional divisional structure in community college
                organization that traditionally referenced secondary schools rather than
                colleges. A case can easily be made that anthropology is critical for
                occupational as well as academic preparation in this current global society
                of the 21st century, but is mired in a divisional structure which may
                prevent diverse and dynamic curricular development in our community
                colleges.

                In fact, I am about to make this case nationally on behalf of the AAA, and
                will be using our college as a case illustrating the current patterns. Our
                Tri-C Metro campus anthropology program demonstrated enough relevance and
                excellence to grow from 1 to 15 sections per term after appointing a
                full-time professor and program coordinator to lead. The program grew while
                receiving several awards for its quality including the 2006 Carnegie Award,
                League for Innovation award, NISOD award, SACC award. Yet immediately after
                the coordinator's retirement, our system failed to support it by appointing
                a new full-time leader, though supporting a new full-time position would
                still have resulted in an almost 2/3 savings over the salary of the retired
                veteran professor while investing in qualitative excellence for the future.
                This scenario is being played out throughout the nation's community colleges
                right now and we at Tri-C represent an excellent illustration of these
                trends. I expect that Tri-C with its county as well as state support and
                national prominence will again serve to lead rather than follow the trends
                and help our students succeed with professional faculty and curricular
                excellence. I hope that you will be supportive of this work and perhaps
                accept my requests for research interviews in the future.
> [...]

                > the U of TX to a degree/jobs mill.
                >
                > 1a. Re: end of anthro program at my community college
                > Posted by: "Lewine, Mark" mark.lewine@...
                > Date: Fri May 6, 2011 2:16 pm ((PDT))
                >
                > Well said Kip. Two patterns that I have observed in this situation may
                > interest you and others:
                > My current campus president is a former English Lit. professor and I have
                > found over my forty years in academia that English profs in power show two
                > disturbing trends that have caused harm to anthropology : a lack of
                > understanding or even appreciation for the contributions of social
                > sciences to academics or education, and a sense of empowerment over
                > students and colleagues due to the mandated requirements accorded English
                > curricula in the system while the rest of us struggle to survive. (they
                > tend to act like empowered gate-keepers of Western civilization and

              • Dianne C
                Message 7 of 19 , May 9 4:39 AM
                  Mark, You might also try to get some of the "movers and shakers" to sit in on a class. As Lloyd mentioned, many of them have no idea what anthropology is. Also, so of them think that since they've seen a National Geographic program, they know what anthropology is. I just went through "observation" where a higher up sits in on a lecture in order to give advice on teaching. The person who observed my class (we are run by "hard science" people) told me she had never had an anthro class and really had not idea what it was about. I really thought I'd get called on the carpet for not using technology in the classroom but instead was told how interesting anthro is and that the observer "would like to sit in on a class again."

                  Cheers!
                  Dianne

> [...]
                  > >
                  > > 1a. Re: end of anthro program at my community college
                  > > Posted by: "Lewine, Mark" mark.lewine@...
                  > > Date: Fri May 6, 2011 2:16 pm ((PDT))
                  > >
                  > > Well said Kip. Two patterns that I have observed in this situation may interest you and others:
                  > > My current campus president is a former English Lit. professor and I have found over my forty years in academia that English profs in power show two disturbing trends that have caused harm to anthropology : a lack of understanding or even appreciation for the contributions of social sciences to academics or education, and a sense of empowerment over students and colleagues due to the mandated requirements accorded English curricula in the system while the rest of us struggle to survive. (they tend to act like empowered gate-keepers of Western civilization and "college" culture)

                • kent morris
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 9 8:36 AM
                    excellent!

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 9 8:41 AM
                      Dianne, you're so right! Truly, if we could sit all the decision makers down in our classrooms, we'd gain some supporters.

                      Each year the dean would come to class for that obligatory "evaluation" (really a performance, right—I mean, how could he or she tell if my students were truly learning by one hour of classroom observation)? Anyway, I would always pull out an "interesting" lecture that involved students in Socratic-style Q and A. Evolution theory, evolution vs. creationism, or marriage and family were favorites depending on where we were in the semester. Invariably, the dean would become engrossed and begin exhibiting student behavior. One of them over the years, a former English prof, would soon be raising her hand to answer the questions I would pose, having apparently forgotten who she was and why she was there.

                      Another, a former chemistry prof, found "social" science in general fascinating. He apparently had never imagined that the "science" he so easily applied to his subject could also inform our understanding of human behavior. As a result of these visits, he would occasionally ask me my take on things and really listen to what I said. He might have even given me more credit than deserved for my insights, and without immodesty, I did not disabuse him of his views. Unfortunately, neither the president nor academic vice-president sat in on classes.

                      Cheers!
                      Lloyd

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 9 10:03 AM
                        Lloyd, could be an interesting article for SACC notes on how to get college officials on board over the importance and fascination with this field. Might even use it as a "how to." Ann

> [...]

                        > 1a. Re: end of anthro program at my community college
                        > Posted by: "Lewine, Mark" mark.lewine@...
                        > Date: Fri May 6, 2011 2:16 pm ((PDT))
                        >
                        > Well said Kip. Two patterns that I have observed in this situation may interest you and others:
                        > My current campus president is a former English Lit. professor and I have found over my forty years in academia that English profs in power show two disturbing trends that have caused harm to anthropology : a lack of understanding or even appreciation for the contributions of social sciences to academics or education, and a sense of empowerment over students and colleagues due to the mandated requirements accorded English curricula in the system while the rest of us struggle to survive. (they tend to act like empowered gate-keepers of Western civilization and "college" culture)

                      • Kathleen Terry-Sharp
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 9 10:04 AM
                          Ann-Great idea...but how about something for AN, as well. Smaller
                          anthropology programs are facing similar issues.

                          KTS

                          On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Kaupp, Ann <kauppa@...> wrote:

                          > Lloyd, could be an interesting article for SACC notes on how to get college
                          > officials on board over the importance and fascination with this field.
                          > Might even use it as a "how to." Ann

                          Kathleen Terry-Sharp
                          Director, Academic Relations
                          Director, Practicing and Applied Programs
                          American Anthropological Association
                          2200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 600
                          Arlington, VA 22201
                          Tel: (888) 393-1141, Fax: (703) 528-3546
                          web: www.aaanet.org

                        • kent morris
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 9 10:46 AM
                            mmm...nice suggestion, Ann...

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 15 9:56 PM
                              Ann and Kathleen,

                              I agree. It might be a useful article for both AN and SACC Notes. Maybe I can piece together the threads from the listserv discussion and perhaps solicit additional comments.

                              Lloyd

                            • George Thomas
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 16 2:59 PM
                                Main concerns might be:
                                1. The tricky proposition of re-iterating the nature and scope of this beast, "anthropology" to administrators, business leaders and politicans without making it seem like an exercise in scolding the very folks who view themselves as the adults in this conversation, and ramming our "touchy-feely" discipline (to use a currently popular political hee-haw) "down their throats."  Remember: Anthropologists are the outsiders here.

                                2. Make lists of main themes which the businessification of anthropology crowd appear to be pushing.  Devise trains of argument to appeal to the many different camps within that crowd.  For example, if a group of English Lit professionals can be identified, stress the fact that anthropological method is pluralistic, ranging from hypothesis testing exercises, nearly to literary critique.  Who knows: Maybe, to the chagrin of social work departments and archaeologists, anthropology might find itself cross-listed with English, and both boats might end up sinking together as "useless" subjects are eventually cut.  Just think how happy construction businesses will be!

                                3. ..... Oh never mind.

                                One main advantage to anthropology the way it has been up until about ten years ago is that politics and business tended to leave it alone.  A disadvantage to this advantage was sometimes that anthros seldom considered what bidness wonks call "best business practices."  I worked for a time administering contracts for an archaeologist who ran his operation in terms of one of the slogan-ridden fads of business akin to what used to be called "Zero Defects."  (I believe they moved away from "Zero Defects" because it is stiflingly naive).  But anyway, the system WORKED, and he got archaeological mitigation projects done, analyzed and published with much less confusion and extra effort than usual.
                                At least he claimed that was the case.

                                I guess my main point might be that there are ways of meeting those ignorant bidness geeks half-way, and adopting some methods of running the battleship (however one defines "battleship"), WITHOUT compromising the discipline.  Anthro might even gain a reputation for diplomacy.
                                Somewhere I have a quote suggesting a reputation which anthropology has among (some.... around 1986) foreign policy geeks.  Still looking for it.  It ain't good.

                                Re: end of anthro program at my community college
                                    Posted by: "Lloyd Miller" lloyd.miller@...
                                    Date: Sun May 15, 2011 9:56 pm ((PDT))

                                Ann and Kathleen,